G

F-4 (F4H-1)(F-110) Phantom

Started by Glenn Harper, July 11, 2002, 01:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin H

Quote from: Weaver on August 13, 2020, 10:40:14 AM

This would be another credible alternative scheme for the Airfix F-4K/M...

Might look a little like this then......................

Did this one Ages ago using a Matchbox toom with the scheme and decals taken from am Italeri F-4S kit
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Weaver

Nice one Martin - I felt sure somebody wuold have done it at some point. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

tahsin

Apparently a school project? Though it could be a basis for a larger plane. Twin Gast cannon under the nose, four Amraam sized but Sidewinder fronted missiles... 450 gallon tanks under the wings even if they would be rare and everybody would go 600 gallons. Twin 600 under the fuselage? Possibly longer at least by a Sparrow length, so that if you were compare it with a regular Phantom all the missiles would fit within the length of the wing. Would 1/48 fit as a 1/72 though l assume quite a strip would have to be cut across the whole length and a substantial part of the 1/48 canopy painted over to resemble the fuselage?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Pellson

Thread archaeology. Always interesting, and in this case, it caused me to wonder one thing.

These Israeli Super Phantoms - to my untrained eye, the air inlets doesn't seem to be very modified at all for the PW1120 engines. Is that really so? I would have thought they would have needed to cope with a somewhat larger airflow.
Anyone know anything?

Quote from: GTX on August 06, 2011, 02:10:14 PM

The two Super Phantoms are shown below - the lower is the Israeli one:

In addition, here are some photos of the IAI Super Phantom from Le Bourget '87:

Also, here are some photos from the Israeli Air Force Museum showing the exhaust of a PW1120 (from the Lavi which planned to use the same engine):

Regards,

Greg
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Somewhere in the chaos of my house I have a book all about IDF Phantoms, and it has a whole article just about the Super Phantom 2000 in it.

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Pellson

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 21, 2021, 04:57:50 PM
Somewhere in the chaos of my house I have a book all about IDF Phantoms, and it has a whole article just about the Super Phantom 2000 in it.

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Gondor

Nice images of the Super Phantom. Especially nice to see how the nosels fit the existing fuselage, drawings will only show you so much.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Martin H

I did the Boeing super Toom upgrade last year. for the JASDF.

A single PW1120 was test fitted and flown in the Kurnas 2000 prototype and worked as well as expected. The only reason the engine swap was dropped was purely down to cost savings. The engine has a slightly smaller diameter than the originals so minimal modification was required.

Unfortunately,

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on May 22, 2021, 01:35:15 AM
Nice images of the Super Phantom. Especially nice to see how the nosels fit the existing fuselage, drawings will only show you so much.

Gondor

Yeah, a quick thought was actually to cheat and use the existing long J79 nozzles with some minor mods as stand-ins for the PW1120. If I just spin that nozzle carefully in a drill, grinding the feather edges a little bit, and then introduces a line at the end of the grinding, I think I would be good, actually. Or, as my models without exception are in flying condition, even just make that line and let them pose as fully open.
I have that F-4F in the lovely Norm 81 camo in my queue, you know..   ;)

Pellson

Quote from: Martin H on May 22, 2021, 02:41:53 AM
I did the Boeing super Toom upgrade last year. for the JASDF.

A single PW1120 was test fitted and flown in the Kurnas 2000 prototype and worked as well as expected. The only reason the engine swap was dropped was purely down to cost savings. The engine has a slightly smaller diameter than the originals so minimal modification was required.

Afaik, IAI even flew the prototype with two PW1120s. That's what I can read from the admittedly few and not so thorough Israeli sites I've been able to google out.
We'll see what Kit'll find in his library.

Martin: I assume you didn't change the inlets at all? How did you do your nozzles?

Martin H

Quote from: Pellson on May 22, 2021, 04:40:23 AM
Martin: I assume you didn't change the inlets at all? How did you do your nozzles?

No change to the intakes. The burner cans are from an Aries F-18 resin set I aquired for that build

None of the refs I have said anything about a pair of 1120's being flown. But I'll be happy to be shown otherwise.
Unfortunately,

Pellson

Quote from: Martin H on May 22, 2021, 07:25:29 AM
Quote from: Pellson on May 22, 2021, 04:40:23 AM

No change to the intakes. The burner cans are from an Aries F-18 resin set I aquired for that build

None of the refs I have said anything about a pair of 1120's being flown. But I'll be happy to be shown otherwise.

Here's one example. I have found a few texts very much saying the same as this, but in all fairness, I do find it a bit hard to verify the reliability of the info.

"Later in July 986, as IAI proceeded with development of the Lavi, it modified F-4E Phantom #336 to serve as test-bed, replacing its starboard J79 engine with a PW1120—possibly with assistance from Boeing. Less then a year later, the port engine was replaced as well, and the fully re-engined Phantom made its first flight on April 27, 1987."

Link: https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/1980s-israel-developed-heavy-hammer-f-4-super-phantom-what-happened-44702

PR19_Kit

I've looked and looked but I can't find that blasted book ANYWHERE!  So sorry.   :banghead:

I got it specifically because it has lots of info on the three IDF F-4E(S) recce birds, the ones with the HUGE nose camera housings, but the book actually covers all F-4s in Israeli service.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit