G

F-4 (F4H-1)(F-110) Phantom

Started by Glenn Harper, July 11, 2002, 01:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

Quote from: kerick on December 12, 2021, 08:01:01 AM
Gives it a Russian look! Is that pattered after a Sukoi product?

Su-7 wings and tail plane.
Will die without understanding this world.

kerick

Ok, now I have to find a cheap Su-7  :wub:
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

ysi_maniac

Study for a single engine F-4 Phantom.

Engine does not have to be necessarily Volvo RM8. I think more in an upscaled version of EJ200

McColm

ysi_maniac

ysi_maniac

T-tailed Phantom with a british touch. ;)

Dizzyfugu

That's looking ...wrong!  ;D Esp. the air brake on the tail - but might be a British concept for a strike variant?

ysi_maniac

German recce Phantom made up with some Alpha Jet bits. Tail fin need some schatch. ;)

glorious.tachikoma

Hypothetically, if one were designing a gun-armed F-4 for a Phantom customer in the early 70's, if a large operational radius were not a priority, is there anything keeping the #1 fuel cell being deleted for a smaller, Hornet-size (~400 rounds) drum and podding the M61 just aft the nose gear bay? I'm just thinking the F-4J with such a setup, for the time, would make a much better defensive fighter than the F-4E. In the era, the Russians had...bad radar guided missiles, and the Sparrows were also...bad, so all combat would devolve into a dogfight, but the F-4J keeps its look-down ability that the F-4E lacked. Comparing data, it seems the F-4J could turn much harder than a hard-wing F-4E and in 1971, Agile Eagle had not come to fruition yet. With the cannon behind the cockpit instead of ahead, I'm imagining its effect on the CoG would be minimal and it would retain its maneuverability.

tahsin

The guns the USN looked at were not Gatlings, the first time. Second time, they looked at variants which were not the M61.

rickshaw

What were the guns?  Why did they fail to be adopted?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

glorious.tachikoma

My guess would be the Colt Mk.20, as that was the cannon in the F8 and A4. But the Navy was already using the M61 in the A7E and the SUU-23A gunpod. I wouldn't touch the Mk.20 after its performance in the F8 though.

I had an idea involving the M39 (F-5 family) cannon. I was thinking of a F-4E with the M61 replaced by a single M39 to save ~300lb over the M61, but there is a huge firepower dropoff there, and I feel like 2x M39s is both heavier, larger, and has less ammo capacity than a M61 and its drum.

I've imagined a DEFA 552 replacing the M61 in the F-4E. 30mm certainly gives more punch over the 20x102mm and Israel tested this but it still only saves what, 200lb and you get less than 1/3 the shells. 200lb isn't really enough to offset the huge CoG problems the F-4E has.