News From My Whatif World

Started by Archibald, May 24, 2007, 09:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Latest news from my whatif world... No modelling for weeks now, seems this damned Sonic Cruiser exhausted my energy and caused a slight "modelling slump".
Thanks to Amphion I'll stick UNITED STATES OF AMERICA roundels on this thing, closing a lengthy modelling chapter.
Here's the actual shape of the thing, I'm improving its underside.

What else ?
There's still this T-56 Skyraider (10000000000000 thanks Runway!!)

I received a Falcon 20 and a X-35 for my birthday -25 years on
May 16th, guess why I'm so interested by the Falkland war  ;) -

SO I plan to change the Falcon into a Carreidas 160 (Tintin bizjet) and the X-35 into a Mako.

The Mako is the winner, I started it this evening. I've just  removing the fan, and noticed the thing look like a two-seater. So this will be a two-seat Mako  :wub:  

I then watched the fan, the F-119 exhaust, and others items left, and started toying around. I then have a FANTASTIC idea :
A VTOL MIRAGE 2000!!!!!!!
Hell, the VTOL elements of the F-35 looks as if they had been tailored for a Mirage 2000!!
This photo give an idea  :o  

Oh, and to end this long post, I've received a superb new shelf  :wub:  already filled with models...

Bright month of may!!!  :lol:

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Gervasius

Some sweet models you got there, Arch. But is that a Hustler? Hustlers...drool...

Marko
Baldrick: I followed Mr Da Vinci's instructions to the letter.
Blackadder: Even though you can't actually read.
Baldrick: No, but I have done a lot of Airfix models in my time.

Archibald

Yeah, a non-whatif machine (painted Humbrol 11 "silver")  ;)  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

QuoteHustlers...drool...
Agreed
Will die without understanding this world.

Rafael

Achi's models....

Drool.. :wub:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

BlackOps

Looks like you still have plenty of interesting projects going on Archi, I love the VTOL Mirage idea.  Looks like the new shelf is already pretty loaded!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Archibald

QuoteLooks like you still have plenty of interesting projects going on Archi, I love the VTOL Mirage idea.  Looks like the new shelf is already pretty loaded!
The VTOL Mirage came by random, while I was toying with the X-35 remains. Backstory, too, came by itself, something like "Dassault is back in the field of VTOL aircrafts, 40 years after the Balzac". But this is a long haul project (as the
T-56 Skyraider)

The shelf is already cramped  :rolleyes:

ysi_maniac

I like your projects. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

That Carreidas can be a beauty. I would try something from an Airfix Domimie. :unsure:
Balzac 2000  :wub:
Mako :wub:  

Archibald

QuoteI would try something from an Airfix Domimie

Nope, the Carreidas had roots in the Falcon 20 itself... basically a Falcon 20 fuselage+ VG wing+ 3 engines+ supersonic "goodies".
Problem with the Dominie is, it has a lot of bumps (below the wings, above the cockpit...)

Good article on the Carreidas here http://modelbox.free.fr/dossiers/tintin/Carreidas_P/

(its author JC Carbonel is member of this forum  ;) )

"Balzac 2000" sounds cool, well done!!  

Archibald

Another project turning in my head is the Mirage IIIT. I've mentionned this one in the IIIV thread.
This machine was the testbed of the TF-104/106/306 turbofans (intented for the Mirage IIIV, F2/F3 and G)  and probably the most powerfull Mirage III ever build (the TF-306 had nearly 10 tons thrust!).

This machine had different intakes, bigger rear fuselage, and a turbofan, in fact it was rather similar to the forthcoming Mirage 2000... except it had no FBW, because it flew in June 1964!

It wouldn't be too difficult building such machine from Heller Mirage IIIE (Tomcat exhaust, no area-ruled fuselage, 2000's intakes...)

what else ? I like the look of the Dassault SSBJ (SuperSonic Bussiness Jet, stalled from March 1999 because of the lack of an adequate engine) and I'm really tempted to build one, but this would be rather difficult...

B777LR

Quotewhat else ? I like the look of the Dassault SSBJ (SuperSonic Bussiness Jet, stalled from March 1999 because of the lack of an adequate engine) and I'm really tempted to build one, but this would be rather difficult...

Archie, theres 2 more supersonic businessjets in development (at least they where last time i checked). Tupolev, with a kind of mini-Tu-144, and Sukhoi-Gulfstream ;)  

John Howling Mouse

Quotewhat else ? I like the look of the Dassault SSBJ (SuperSonic Bussiness Jet, stalled from March 1999 because of the lack of an adequate engine) and I'm really tempted to build one, but this would be rather difficult...

Archibald, if anyone could pull it off, it would be you.

Go for it.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Archibald

Archibald, if anyone could pull it off, it would be you.

Go for it.
It must be possible, to the cost of a build as complicated as the Sonic Cruiser.

In fact I've just realised that building this SSBJ from the Falcon 20 (this kit is so useful to me :lol: ) would be similar to building a Sonic Cruiser from a Caravelle.
I mean, change all except fuselage diameter  ;)  

More seriously, the SSBJ was 32 m long for 17 m span (as big as a SR-71!!) when the Falcon 20 has the size of a Jaguar...  :blink:  Harsh work, but the result would be worth the price...  

Archibald

I've started butchering the F-35 into a Mako. It worked well for the upper part of the fuselage, which looks similar to the 3-view I have.
But the underside is a mess...  :unsure:  

Is there any kit of the Aermacci (sorry for my spelling) M-346 available ? I love this machine, too...  

ysi_maniac

QuoteI've started butchering the F-35 into a Mako. It worked well for the upper part of the fuselage, which looks similar to the 3-view I have.
But the underside is a mess...  :unsure:  

Is there any kit of the Aermacci (sorry for my spelling) M-346 available ? I love this machine, too...
Is Yak 130 good for your purposes?
http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=8AMU7293