Main Menu

Big Bone

Started by Eddie M., May 25, 2007, 08:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie M.

I'm starting this big boy for my Uncle. I'll be posting it in the usual places if anyone wants to follow the build. Here's my daughter holding the big mug and as it sits on my bench. It takes up the whole thing! :wacko:  :blink:  :lol:
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Rafael

What scale?
The size of that monster is incredible!!!
...and it is beautiful!!!
No doubt about a spectacular finish, specially with the help of that little assistant

Saludos.
Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Eddie M.

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's the 1/48 scale. I have no idea what I'm gonna do when I put the wings on it. :dum:  :party:
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Jeffry Fontaine

You have certainly taken on a real large project with that Revell kit.  Getting the wings to work will be easy, your real work is going to be getting the landing gear to fit and take the weight of the model after it is built.  IPMS had a very good build article on the B-One many years ago, if you can manage to find a copy of that article it would go into great detail on what needs to be done with that kit to get it to stay together.  

Are you going to try and build to represent current aircraft?  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Howard of Effingham

best of luck eddie!  :rolleyes:

the RoG 1/72 B-1 seems big enough to me. looks like the modelling bench is gonna
have to get bigger for this bone.

brass/steel tube re-enforcements for the u/cart would be a good idea.

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

nev

:o

That one with your daughter is teh win.
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

devil505

I built that beast awhile back.  It weighed a ton when I was finished with it.
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory..Lasts forever.

GTX

QuoteI have no idea what I'm gonna do when I put the wings on it.

Here's a couple of suggestions:

RAAF - they were offered;
PLAAF - Chinese copy.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Captain Canada

Nice ! That thing is huge ! I keep thinking od snagging one whenever Hobby Lobby have their 50% off sale. Not that I want to build it or anything, I just want something that big !

:cheers:

PS-Love the idea of a Chinese copy !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

CanisD

Built that about 20 years or so ago when it first came out. Wing droop was a major problem with the kit, not sure how much a real B-1's wings droop, but the kit was almost like a fully tanked B-52. You know a kit is big when its larger than the person holding it!
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum

Captain Canada

Hey, easy now ! I have that problem with any medium sized 48th scale kit.....

;)  :P  :o  :dum:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

cthulhu77

HOLY MACKEREL !!!   That is going to be something great, for sure...you just keep on building bigger and bigger kits !
 Definitely reinforce the landing gear...the plastic ones will fail in a year or so...too much weight.

Eddie M.

Good thing for me, my Uncle wants gear up and blue cockpit glass instead using the cockpit itself. It's going to be hanging from a tall ceiling in his office. I will work to detail out the bomb bays. The only thing is I might try to do a conventional load instead of the payload it came with.
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Jeffry Fontaine

Using the kit supplied rotary launchers as a starting point, you can strap several 2000 pound bomb shapes to each of them to fill in the emptiness.  Or you can go for the big prize and try to scratch build the conventional munitions module that holds a butt load of Mk 82 500 pound GP bombs or similar size cluster bomb shapes.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

John Howling Mouse

Good luck, Eddie.

Just remember the importance of capillary action for all those incredibly LOOOOONG joint-lines.

Good ol' Tenax-R, eh?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.