A Type 44 Racer

Started by Glenn, May 29, 2007, 12:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn

This is really the 're-birth' of the project. Seen here with it's new body shape, tail and modified tailplanes. It was a big job, but if it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun....now, would it?

Brian da Basher

QuoteWith Lindberg pressing styrene again, it would be cool to see this kit available again.    
Daryl J.
Lindberg is back in business? Wow that makes me feel a whole lot less guilty about what I plan on doing to their venerable He-100!

Glenn, looks like you're off to a great start! I really like your mods! It's going to be fun seeing how this one turns out!

Brian da Basher

Daryl J.

BdB,

Yes they are.   I almost picked up an XF-88 and an F-86A on Wednesday at the LHS.    Worthy whiffers those airframes are.  

But the P-6E and this racer above are what I'm hankering for..... :wub:   It'll be fun watching this one unfold.

Daryl J.

Glenn

Now, with the wings..they had to be mounted below and this is how it happened.
First I separated the wing halves and then worked out where the wheel doors would go, and cut them out. Next, cut to parallel slots under the forward fuselage and mounted two wing spars...cut to shape and then glued the wings to the spars, but in doing it, glued them parallel with the fuselage sides...leaving a space so as to add the wells and under wing support.
As you can see, the wings are the wrong shape.....but that will change!
Glenn

John Howling Mouse

Currently feeling weak in the knees with goofy smile on face...

^_^  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Glenn

Now we have the new wing shape in it's basic form. First, added plastic strip to the leading edge of the lower wing half, to make the wing thicker. Next, re-glued the control surfaces to the wing and then added the top half of the wing.  Using sheet, made the pieces to add sections to the trailing edge, plus a length of strip to get the right shape. The aircraft didn't have flaps, and the aerolons have a wider cord. Last, added the new wing-tips. At this point of time, the wings are bogged, sanded and finished.....and didn't use one four letter word!
Glenn  

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Brian da Basher

Wow yet more impressive modifications! It takes some real skill to pull off something like that Glenn! This one just keeps getting better and better!
:salute:
Brian da Basher

Glenn

This shows the underside of assembly to date of these shots. I have no more to download for a while, so I'll re-trace the page when I can add more shots to it.
Glenn