1/72 Boulton-Paul Defender

Started by Brian da Basher, May 30, 2007, 03:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard of Effingham

QuoteIn late 1939 production of Hurricanes hit a snag when simultaneously, the snack machine at the Hawker works ran out of Twiglets and the cafeteria experienced a shortage of pork pies. With the war on and Lord Beaverbrook well aware that the "Phony War" was just a temporary lull, a stop-gap measure had to be found and fast.

:D seems about right.  :D

interesting idea and great model BdB, but where are the spats?  :o

t.
Keeper of George the Cat.

B777LR

But wouldnt it have been 100x better had it been fitted with spats? ;)  

NARSES2

One problem with the backstory Brian - "Snack Machine" - Britain in the 40's ? No way, even if they'd have existed over here the Union's would never have allowed it - you'd do "Doris the Tea Lady" out of her job  :P Massive strike on your hands before you could say "4 sugars please" - War or no War  :lol:

Nice build mate.

Chris who's now remembering the "origional" Nestle chocolate bar machine - put thrupence in and pull the drawer - anyone else remember that ? Rad ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ysi_maniac

Simple + nice + plausible = I like it
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

I have a Czech Omega Hurricane model which has a Griffon engine, I think this would work very well on this project too.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=OM72195
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Supertom

To reiterate, yeah where's the spats?
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Martin H

QuoteChris who's now remembering the "origional" Nestle chocolate bar machine - put thrupence in and pull the drawer - anyone else remember that ? Rad ?
good idea there brian.

hey chris they had something simler in the 70's and 80's on most Underground and BR stations when i was a nipper.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Brian da Basher

Yes it lacks spats. I have failed utterly.  :(

Brian da Basher

Rafael

Wow, Brian!
That's an interesting subject there!
I really like the camo and the detail added to the tailwheel.

Wonderful little gem!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Archibald

I like it very much, and the (humoristic) backstory, too ;)  
Bloody well done mate!!!  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

gooberliberation

QuoteYes it lacks spats. I have failed utterly.  :(

Brian da Basher
Its okay. Next model you build must have TWO sets of spats :lol:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Mossie

Oooohh, ta!  Quite a nice looking fighter in it's own right, anyone know why it was never adopted?  Was it crap, or just enough fighter types available already?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

retro_seventies

QuoteFrom Tony Buttler's 'British Secret Projects, Fighters and Bombers 1935-1950.

Prototype Defiant K8310 eventually had its turret removed and in August 1940 was flown as an unarmed flying demonstrator for a fixed-gun version called P.94, which was intended for rapid production using many complete Defiant components. The P94 had the turret replaced by 12 0.303" MG disposed in each side of the wing centre section in nests of six – 4 20mm cannon replacing 8 of the 0.303" in two nests of two each were an alternative while the MG could also be depressed 17 degrees for ground attack work. P.94 had a 1,100hp Merlin XX, which offered a maximum speed of 360mph at 21.700ft, a sea level climb of 3,250ft.min and would get to 25,000ft in 8.1 minutes. To allow the type to act as a long range fighter two 30-gallon auxiliary tanks could be carried and in production the aircraft would use standard Defiant jigs. The P94 was never ordered but Boulton Paul also proposed to convert the now single seat Defiant prototype into a 4 cannon fighter demonstrator. The Air Ministry's rejection of this idea was recorded at a company board meeting on 26th September 1940.

Hope that helps Mossie...  as i recall a spit mark 1 was good for 365mph @ 20,000ft, so the boulton paul was not far behind.   i imagine that she would have superior to the hurricane and certainly had more development potential.

Brian how incredibly rude of me - what a wonderful model!   See all of the discussion that it's kicked off?  the mark of a truly successful whif!
"Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." Kristin Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989.

Mossie

Thanks again Retro!  The 1935-50 book is the only one in the BSP range I haven't yet (except for the Hypersonics volume of course).  It's just been pay day & I've been intendingto put order in, I'll get it done in the next couple of days.

Quite spritley for it's day,then.  Hmmm, opens up the whole question of Defiant development all the way through to post war.  PR, tank buster, or naval variants?  Engines, Griffon, Sabre, Centaurus?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Howard of Effingham

QuoteYes it lacks spats. I have failed utterly.  :(
Its okay. Next model you build must have TWO sets of spats :lol:
only two!?  ;)  we want spats in triplicate!  :lol:  
Keeper of George the Cat.