Ain't Much Subject 1: Phantom

Started by John Howling Mouse, June 02, 2007, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

First in the less-than-acclaimed "Ain't Much" series from JHM while we prepare for the Big Move To The New Digs (simple builds while I can't access much of da Stash):

A 1:48 Testors (nee Italeri?) F-4K (for "Kinda") Phantom

Very sparse detail: decals for instruments and the harnesses and belts you see were simply painted on.  Oh well...fun kit for OOB and I've never had a Phantom on the shelf.  Maybe I can finish this before the move, even?   :o  :lol:  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Brian da Basher

Wow yet more impressive cockpit detailing! You're one of the best detailers around Mr Howling Mouse! I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes together.

What kind of markings & camo scheme are you considering? Maple leafs? Fueza Aero Mexicana?

Brian da Basher

Rafael

Naaah, Brian. I vote for 1970's Venezuelan Air Force!

Caray, JHM, that cockpit surely is well detailed, even to the armrests ashtrays!

What are you coming up with, JHM?

OOB is something like heresy. I'm sure you will exorcise this plane in some unexpected way....

Rafa
Expectant.....(mistery music sound in the background)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Captain Canada

Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis ? For 12 bucks, those are Phantoms !

:lol:

Looking good, Baz !

:cheers:  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

B777LR

LEts start guessing what it will look like! ;)

My guess, T-tail, canadian markings, bare metal scheme, perhaps spats or spey engines ;)  

cthulhu77

I like the idea of a bmf or oddball south american camo...how about a ship hunter?  Nice pit, Sir John.  :cheers:

John Howling Mouse

Whatchu talkin' bout, Willis ? For 12 bucks, those are Phantoms !
Oh, I don't mean the manufacturer's work is in anyway less than accurate/authentic.  It's just that, buy the time I get through with the kit, it might still "kinda" be a Phantom!   ;)

Just kidding, although I do have future plans for other Phantoms, this one will in no way be structurally modified.  Just an OOB as most of my junk is now packed away.

Here's a finely warped piece (the integral lower fuselage bit that the cockpit has to rest on, naturally!)

And here's the fuselage all taped up.  Yuck, is that panel-line pre-shading or was the modeler simply ill?

B777LR

Captain Canada

Watch out for the landing gear...extremely weak for the size and weight of the model when it's completed. It's actually funny, if you look at the pics of the finished bird on the box sides, you can see the bent legs that you get if you're not careful !

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

QuoteBaz is ill! :bow:
Funny thing is that I *have* been sick as the proverbial dog this week, too.
Ohmygosh, what if I caught the dreaded JMN virus?

Gentlemen, we have an airframe.

She's not much to look at but this is my very first Phantom in 1:48 scale, believe it or not.  The F-4 is just one of those subjects I like so much that I'm afraid I won't do it justice so I've never tried to build one (other than the pair of sad little Airfix ones in 1:72 that were so disappointing in fit that I never bothered to finish either of them).

John Howling Mouse

Well, all unbuilt kits have been packaged up for The Big Move ™ so I figured I deserved a bit of hobby time for myself.

Putty is on and you'll see on the starboard wing where I've started playing around with my SEA-II (5 color camo) scheme. Yes, the tan will be tinted a bit darker for the actual paint run (these are all just custom hand-mixed Testors Acryl colors).

cthulhu77

Looking good...do you hand paint the panel lines?

Brian da Basher

I really like that camo "test pattern" there Mr Howling Mouse! I always enjoy your wonderful paint work!

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

I like it! By the way, you just gave me the idea to do a F-4 with a Voodoo type tail. Thank you! B)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Rafael

STRAWBERRY-PHILLY PAINTJOB, YUM!!!

Rafa
(Hungry)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER