1/72 Feinkel Fe-100 "Fink"

Started by Brian da Basher, June 04, 2007, 03:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

In late 1927, tensions between the neighboring countries of Bulgaria and Greece were brought to the boiling point when the Greeks imposed a hefty export tax on feta cheese, olive leaves and gyro meat. Given the obsolescent state of the Bulgarian military, there was little the gyro-loving Bulgarians could do but swallow their pride and pay the increased tax if they wanted to swallow a gyro. This brought about a call to modernize the Bulgarian military, especially the Royal Bulgarian Air Force, which up to this time, had been equipped mostly with World War I surplus British and French aircraft.

Fortunately for the kingdom of Bulgaria, the Feinkel brothers, Nikolai and Stanislaus, came to the rescue. They proposed their newest design, a modern, all metal monoplane with fixed, spatted undercarriage, the Fe-100 (the first 99 designs were utter failures) as the solution to the Royal Bulgarian Air Force's dire need. The Fe-100 design was quickly produced as a prototype which exceeded all expectations in flight trials in November of 1928. The Feinkel fighter was ordered into production and by mid-1929, four squadrons were equipped with the new craft. The Fe-100 was armed with two .303 machine guns on the engine decking synchronized to fire through the propellor arc as well as two wing-mounted 20 m.m. cannons. The Fe-100 was incredibly manoeverable and could easily out-turn any adversary, putting to rest the myth of the superiority of the biplane. It was also able to achieve 250 m.p.h. in level flight with its 9 cylinder Lom engine (named after the Feinkel brothers' home town). The new fighter was beloved by its pilots and groundcrews and only had one fault, which was a tendency for the engine to backfire when r.p.m.s were reduced upon landing which lead to the pilots nicknaming their new mount the "Fink" as it was impossible to land one without the C.O. noticing.

The Fe-100 Fink amazed crowds at the 1930 Paris airshow with the coolness factor of its spats and led to many nations seeking more modern fighters. The Greeks were forced to repeal their heavy excize tax on feta cheese, olive leaves and gyro meat, to the great relief of the gyro-loving Bulgarians. The Fe-100 Fink served in front-line service until the eve of World War II when it was relegated to training duties. The example shown here, old #15 of A Flight, can be seen on display at the Museum of Food and Technology in Sofia.

1st of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I know I should feel really guilty about this. The base kit for this project is the venerable 1/72 Lindberg Heinkel He-100. I built this kit straight as a young lad but now that the whiff bug has bitten me, well, I had no choice but to do something completely different. Fortunately, I heard that Lindberg is resuming production and it's a possibility we might again see the He-100 on the shelves of the local hobby shop.

2nd of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

This was a relatively simple project. I used my trusty razor-saw (thank you, Mr. Fontaine!) to amputate the useless He-100 engine. I had some very nifty spats in the stash that Chap cast for me (thanks a million, Steve!). These are from an Avia B-534 I think. Oddly enough, once I cut one of the kit's wheels in half, they were a perfect fit for the spats! Talk about fate! Then I only had to figure out what to replace the engine with. Fortunately, with the addition of some 1/144 scale landing gear doors from the spares box, the engine from that 3/4 of a PZL P-11 looked like a natural. I really liked the idea of keeping this bird with a "pointy nose". Being a frugal modeller, I wanted to save the He-100 canopy for a future project, so I cut a windscreen out of blisterpack. I think an open cockpit is a much better choice for this era. What do you think?

3rd of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I scratched the cowling guns from the tail-wheel doors from the kit and the wing-mounted cannons were from the kit's landing gear struts. I stupidly spent a lot of time fitting a new seat from spares in the cockpit, not bothering to notice there was a perfectly fine seat in the kit. It's hard to see but I actually painted the seat cushions and head-rest brown. I don't usually do much with cockpit detailing but I think you guys are starting to influence me.

4th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Speaking of painting, the entire model was brush painted by hand with acrylics. I used Testor's Tan and Olive Drab along with Tamiya Medium Gray on the uppers and Tamiya Light Blue on the undersides. I used Testor's White, Polly-Scale Red and ModelMasters Euro Green for the rudder stripes. The cockpit was painted in ModelMasters RAF Sky and Tamiya Brown was used on the seat cushions and headrest. The engine and guns were painted in Tamiya Gunmetal and the tires were painted with Windsor-Newton Artists Mars Black. Here's an overhead shot that shows off the camo scheme.

5th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

The Rat

Brian, you're the complete package - great finished models, great fiddling to get them there, and great back stories!  :bow:

QuoteBeing a frugal modeller, I wanted to save the He-100 canopy for a future project, so I cut a windscreen out of blisterpack. I think an open cockpit is a much better choice for this era. What do you think?

Right you are, open cockpits complement the spats!  :wub:

QuoteFortunately, I heard that Lindberg is resuming production...

Terrific news!  :party:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

Brian da Basher

The Bulgarian markings are from a sheet of 1/144 scale roundels from my stash and the codes are left-overs, the 15s coming from that great decal sheet Eduard includes with their SPAD XIII. It took me longer to decide on a camo scheme and markings than it did to actually complete the build.

I should probably seek forgiveness from all those classic OOP kit and Luft-fanatics out there for doing this to such a wonderful model. As proof of my sins, I conclude with this photo.

Last of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, Mr. Rat-San! Fortunately for our Bulgarian friends, history was kind, and they can now enjoy their beloved gyros!

Mmm gyros. I'm getting hungry.

Brian da Basher

P.S. I think I saw it on ARC that Lindberg was resuming production with their 1/72 scale He-162 and Me-163 kits. I really want to see them re-release the He-100 and FW-190D. Can you picture an FW-190D biplane...with spats? :wub:

Chap

Brian your builds get better and better! :thumbsup: I just love the looks of the Fe-100, I'm happy those spats worked for you.

~Steve

Brian da Basher

Thanks again Chap! I was absolutely astounded at the quality of your castings. They were darn near flawless! I've still got the Northrop Gamma spats in the stash that I'm saving for something special.

With casting skills like what you showed on those spats, you could easily start your own cottage after-market business. Simply incredible!
:salute:
Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Yep, hands down, the spats are perfect on that ship!  :cheers: great build!

Rafael

This is a fantastic build, Brian!!

I really, really enjoyed the backstory and your fun adventures commiting your whif.

So in order to cleanse your soul of any earthly fault, and in representation of classic OOP and Luft fanatics, I condemn you to do another spatted marvel!!! :dum:

Go forth and sin no more, my son!

Father Rafa
(Gospel music plays in the background)
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

matrixone

Thats a great build Brian!

It looks like it really could have been a real 1930s a/c. :cheers:

Matrixone

Daryl J.

Ayhay!   That's another great Brian!    Having built the Lindberg He-100 myself, I'd have never recognized it had you not told.    Great story, great lines, and great job.

In the words of my son when he was just two years old: "me-wahnnn-mo'. "

Daryl J.

BlackOps

Brian, you've certainly got the "between the world wars" era down pat, everything you've produced from this time frame looks so authentic they should have been, your Fink is no exception. From the backstory to the final touches on the model, another job well done.  :)

Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.