262+2x109=p. 28.776

Started by HOG, June 07, 2007, 09:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Another option could be orienting the rockets slightly downwards, making them usefull for anti-tank duties or bridgebusting ;)  :wub:  (cannnons for killing fighters)

HOG

[/QUOTE]
How do you fire anything through a counter rotating props arch?[/QUOTE]

No -it`s counter rotating engines.
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

B777LR

How do you fire anything through a counter rotating props arch?[/QUOTE]

No -it`s counter rotating engines.
Ah, i understand now, i thought you meant counter rotating props :dum:  

John Howling Mouse

Could you simply switch locations of underwing ordnance: bombs dropping from under engine nacelles, while rocket trio's could be mounted farther out under the wings themselves?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

kitnut617

QuoteHow do you fire anything through a counter rotating props arch?
I had wondered that myself when I was building this:

I used a Wyvern prop on this too.  The solution to firing guns through a contra-prop is to have the prop blades geared to cross each other when the prop blades are at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock etc  Firing rockets though would be very hazardous
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

HOG

QuoteCould you simply switch locations of underwing ordnance: bombs dropping from under engine nacelles, while rocket trio's could be mounted farther out under the wings themselves?
Hi there Jimi Hendrix.Master  (sorry alternative lifestyle revert to reality)

Hi there JHM,
Yeah thats the route I went puting the drop tanks back into the original position which was a retro step as cleaning up the marks from drop tank removal was a serious pain. The triple WGr21 are now next to the gun pod in the center section,and I`m assuming that this airframe has a refit to the original wing design with a reinforced hard point outboard of the wheels, where the single WGr21`s are there with the 20mm cannon. Should have taken a picture, this remote keyboard is so slow.

regards Gary[8-]
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Leigh

Wow I'm honoured that someone thinks enough of my stuff to be inspired to do summat similar. I also think yer a bit insane 'cos I know what a bitch it was to put together, great job so far though. Interested to see wot yer gonna do about the wheel wells and gear, I used the ME 262 lower wing so wasn't faced with your challenge of four wheel wells, also if it's gonne be a nose sitter the 109's gear legs will probably be too short to give the props ground clearance. Nice one mate.

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

HOG

Hi All
Finally got some paint on this bugger (Leigh you`re right about the mods) and here you are

In my world, small though it might be, the Luftwaffy had taken a page out of the Whermuckt`s tank book and were delivering their aircraft in basic camo (76 blue) and supplying a set of paints along with the handbook, spare wheel and jack, warning triangle etc for spraying at unit level and therefore releasing men from the factories for the front. Desert a/c were supplied with sand and green, european with either two tone grey or two tone green. Appropriate paint for theatre markings were also supplied but in larger quantities. Spraying of aircraft were done by a two or three man team so as to prepare them for combat quickly. On this airframe Hugo, who was a commercial artist before the war painted the left side while Hans, a car mechanic, painted the right. Saul was a member of the Hitler youth and was acting as apprentice goofer and was allowed to do the tail.

The above little scenario allows me to get away with a cockup in spraying. Looking at the model now the mottle on the left is tighter and neater than on the right and the tail is slightly different to the rest.First the theatre markings were sprayed on in solid colour(larger quantity of paint) then masked for the blue. After painting the spines on all three large parts freehand the mottle was added and a mist of the same green was sprayed over this to merge the colours slightly. (smaller amount of paint and the browny green went `missing` in transit)

Finally, this the final weapons load, thanks again JHM for pointing out my error. Alot easier to correct then than now.

So lets hear some feedback. all comments etc etc
regards Gary[8-]
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Brian da Basher

That backstory explaining the paintjob is the funniest thing I've heard all day! I'd stick to it and not change a thing.

In hysterics,
Brian da Basher

HOG

Thanks Brian.  Must remember this trick for future mishaps and rivit counters, `blame it on the little guys` :D
Gary[8-]
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Eddie M.

I am moved everytime you post progress. Amazing work! B)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

HOG

Hi All
Progress continues

This was one of THOSE models that nearly hit the wall at a great rate of knot.
Fixing the undercart was a dog of the female type and when I finally said "enough was enough" (well I didn`t exactly say that but this is a polite forum) I had managed to get 4 out of 5 wheels to touch ground at the same time. The added frustration is that this is a tail sitter. Theres about a quarter of a pack of Milliput in the moded 262 nose and biggish nuts and bolt in each 109 front fuselage, but still it wants to sit up and beg. Still the wheels are drilled to take a wire peg for fixing onto the final base so this will hopefully solve it and just to make sure I knocked up a crew ladder to fix onto the rear instead of the traditional clear sprue prop.

Decided against counter rotating engines as in theory this is a stop gap production.
As this is a Hs129 replacement and found that Bulgaria was a large user of the type and had these decals for ages, very nicely printed but as they are Hobbycraft I was reluntant to use them. Yes they are thick but as all the panel lines have been filled they went down ok over the flat surface.
As usual all comments etc etc
regards Gary[8-]
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Brian da Basher

Wow absolutely gorgeous, HOG!!! Those Bulgarian crosses and rudder stripes look awesome against that mottled camo scheme!!! I think those markings have really pulled this build together! You've got a real show-stopper there!

Brian da Basher

HOG

Hi again all

Meant to add to last post but I forgot. I`ve been knicking bits out of my (at) last Dragon 262 which really I couldn`t be arsked to build as a standard kit having a few Tamiya ones and am looking round for somthing to chop it into. Now to give you a clue I`m looking for either a suitable seaplane hull or the bottom of a largish central float that might fit onto it.
Any costs obviously repaid
regards Gary[8-]
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Chap

Beautiful work HOG! :wub: I just love the looks of it, very menacing. I agree the markings look great and really fit it well, although I believe they're Romanian.

~Steve