Albertosaurus Libratus

Started by cthulhu77, June 10, 2007, 02:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

Here's the start of the cutting and chopping on my beer swilling-back bacon eating-pale white dinosaur:

Brian da Basher

This is really cool, Greg! I'm really impressed with how you're able to build such a variety of subjects so masterfully.

Am I the only one that often gets inspiration for camo schemes from dinosaur/reptile models?

Brian da Basher

Eddie M.

Looks like that solves the " I can't reach him. Big head, little arms!" quandry. ;)  :lol: Looking forward to your progress. :)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

John Howling Mouse

Make him wear an Edmonton Oilers jersey and have him ripping a scale Calgary Flames jersey to shreds!  Have a miniature case of Labatts Blue ™ nearby on the diorama base, too.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

If she drank to much, she'd be....well, never mind.

Major hip cuts:

Captain Canada

Cutting and chopping ? Looks like you've smashed the poor girl !

:o  
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

John Howling Mouse

This kit looks like a vinyl kit in its "poured" style configuration.
It is hard, injection-molded plastic though, right?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

cthulhu77

Yes, but the styrene is very, very soft, and doesn't accept CA glue very well.

TsrJoe

the Lindberg dino kits in their main 'Jurassic park' range are all pretty good for chopping, iv made a few of the T.rex kits in my time, repositioning the heads and extending the tail, etc.

its definately got a meaner look than for eg. the dainty Tamiya rex and matches the movie artwork really well too

the 'raptor' kit needs a tad more to make it into something more presentable, as it is its head is more Deionychus than Velociraptor and its pose is pretty much frankenstien (can be made to look pretty neat as a sortv scifi subject tho, in my case reaching over to touch a slab of black acrylic...lol)

the 'spitter' aka. Diliphosaur, again can be made into something interesting with just a lil work (lose the frill and head crests to make a small Allosaur!!?)

another source of some neat dino modells is the local natural world store, cheapo toy store or museum, all of which sometimes having 'toys' suitable for conversion into something a lil more 'realistic'

ill see if i can dig out some snaps of my smaller dino models over the past few years (most of my more recent ones being merely maquettes for full scale examples and not too detailed!)

looking forward to seeing it finished, cheers, Joe

oh, just a snippet...tot teddy bear eyes fit neatly into hollowed sockets of the kit pretty well...look out for the small transparent ones with black pupils...
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

cthulhu77

Great tip about the eyes! Thanks!  I converted the Lindberg Raptor to a Dryptosaurus nasutus last year, you are correct the kit is waaaay too heavy for a Velociraptor:

Mossie

Quoteoh, just a snippet...tot teddy bear eyes fit neatly into hollowed sockets of the kit pretty well...look out for the small transparent ones with black pupils...
I once saw an article years back, where the moddeler was building the Tamiya dinosuars.  He used eyes he bought from a Taxidermy supplier, they're not that expensive (at least in the sizes you need for a model) & have the advantages of coming in several sizes & species so you can get the exact look you want.  They're realtively easy to get hold of these days too with that Inter-web thingmybob.

Have a look at this article:
http://www.gremlins.com/dan_brandt/taxidermy_eyes.html

Slightly OT, does anyone know of monkey, ape or human ancestor kits?  Or any prehistoric creature kits of any kind?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TsrJoe

.. heres a 1/1 scale 'Eotyrannus' i put together for Isle of Wight 'Dinosaur Isle' museum ... lightweight steel skeletal structure, sculpted polystyrene foam body form, latex moulded skin covering, acrylic paint finish followed by colour washes and satin laquer (the eyes were cast in clear urethane resin, backpainted, the teeth and claws in a transluscent form of the same)

:ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

cthulhu77

Stunning stuff !  Love that paint job !  Our poor female canuckian (is that a word?) has been britneyspeared:

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

Brian da Basher

Ouch! that's gotta hurt! It's always fun to watch your stuff in progress Greg!

Great work on that dino there TsrJoe! Looks like it's ready to have some lunch!

Brian da Basher