Albertosaurus Libratus

Started by cthulhu77, June 10, 2007, 02:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafael

What a piece, Greg!!!

The sensation of movement is oustanding. That photo from above and the current stance give an idea of the movement dynamics of such a lovely monster!!

Oh, and the dentistry work is phenomenal, the best teeth in all of Jurassic Park!

Congrats!
Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

cthulhu77

Jeez, thanks all...I am glad that you like it so much. Dino kits are just too much fun to NOT build !  Highly recommended!

After shooting the whole girl with primer, I was able to see the flaws, and correct them with some sanding and bondo (again, sigh):

B777LR

Look, its been eating masking tape!

TsrJoe

looking good...what scheme dyu envisage for the ol' girl ?

i recall a chap over in Australia (Andrew Parker?) doing some work on 'palaeochromatophores' where he had some luck isolating colour from fossil fishes, last i heard he was intending to check mummified skin samples of Carnotaurus from S.America, but not checked recently for any further updates!

my fav scheme for a large carnosaur has always been a really dark underbelly graduating to a light buff colour on its uppers, looks menacing and definately different from the usual pale belly schemes, i always tried out possible schemes upon my neices toy dinos first, or better stil got them to come up with the schemes which id then translate onto my models! (explains why theres an orange and yellow Dimetrodon and a pink Troodon in a UK. museum...lol)  

:ph34r:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

cthulhu77

His work is the stuff that inspired the colour changing Carnotaurus's of Jurassic Park 2 (the book, not that film)...there does seem to be some basis looking at the cellular structure of the skin for this to have been possible. (Think of a ten foot tall chameleon with sharp teeth and a bad attitude!)
 The only reason to have a pale belly would be for protection while swimming, from water predators looking up, or for the ability to spot infection ...most predators do have pale bellies, but those that exist today are far smaller than these ancient archosaurs...

I am going to be doing an "early spring" diorama, so there will be a little bit of snow on the ground...probably going to base her in light tan and a forest green, since Albertosaurs would have been great ambush hunters, bursting from the coniferous forest to savage travelling herds.

CanisD

If its a female, more subdued colors would probably make sense. Modern birds are like that, females more subdued in coloration than males. That model is certainly eons ahead of the tail-draggers I built as a kid many moons ago. Beautiful work!
"If you want to have dinner with the Devil, make sure to bring a long spoon!"
Wolf's Shipyard
Wolf's Shipyard Forum

TsrJoe

similar in 1-1 scale..all 47ft long of her...  :ph34r:  

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

TsrJoe

TsrJoe

due to its size thats what made me think of not having a pale coloured belly...itd be pretty visible amongst the foliage... (this beastie, 'Millie', was finished in an overall bronze colour resin tho so as to emulate a sculpture)

TsrJoe

'Leelu' a Coelophysis...a quick and dirty model this time...wooden former, polyfoam bulk, epoxy putty, latex skin and resin sealant, the finished piece was painted up this time like a sortv antelope, reddish brown, black patches, pale belly, with the additional flourish of a flourescent yellow neck and nasal panels ...

TsrJoe

'Icthy' epoxy resin over a wood and wire framework covered in tissue matting ... 1 week turnaround time ...

TsrJoe

'Iggy' under construction, a big block of polyfoam...

TsrJoe

.. and on site with the prev shown 'Eotyrannus' ...

cthulhu77

Rarely have I had a thread hijacked in such a wonderful way !  Spectacular work, the positioning of the archosaurs is flawless, as is the finish...more, more !