Previous topic - Next topic

B777LR

Other versions of the Hornet that never where:

A-18 (Bomber version)
F-18 (Fighter version)
TF/A-18L (2 seat land version)
F/A-18R (recon, also known as RF-18A)

Shasper

While the Navy canned the RF-18 in favor of keeping the 'interim' F-14 TARPS, the ATARS recce suit was installed in a handful of USMC F/A-18Ds

Both the F-18 and the A-18 do exist, just in the same aircraft.

Shas (who hates the GD Bugs) B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

B777LR

Both the F-18 and the A-18 do exist, just in the same aircraft.

I know, but thats a different aircraft ;)  

Archibald

QuoteMako ;)

Shas B)
Nope, Mako is what I'm currently building (from a X-35).
I've heard somewhere that Ysi has 12+ models on the bench...  :rolleyes:
How the Mako going archie? Pics :wub:
It goes quite well (after some difficulties with its canopy)  
I'll show pics... one day. I don't want to hijack this thread  :)

I think that, at the beginning, the USN wanted A-18s and F-18s, Ie two differents variants. Both were finally merged into the... F/A-18, thanks to the glass-cockpit concept. I don't think the A-18 and F-18 would have been externally different except... their weapon load  ;)

and I remember having seen a pics of those USMC recon Hornet on a french forum,, I think the pic came from airliner.net... these Hornet have a big bump below the nose to house their recon pack, a bit like the Mirage F1CR.  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

As elmayerle is working in F-18L, I have decideded to call it F-18M or, perhaps, F-18K.

As it is land based the folding wing mechanism will be deleted.

Tape assembled, a la wolfik.
Will die without understanding this world.

wolfik

ysi_maniac

I need some help:
do you see the piece between tailfin and fuselage?
I need ideas to "decorate" it: exhausts like Tornado, chaff/flare dispensers, aerials, antenae, braking parachute, ...

wolfik

by the way...the U-2 tail has a better shape....and is bigger
my idea ?...
...look about some newest SU-35/37 tails....they has nice "things" afterwards B)  

Shasper

Looks kinda like the "banjo" assembly used to mount the fin on the X-29 & F-20.

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

kitnut617

an engineer could probably say (Evan ?) but the fin area looks about the same as only one of the twin fins area, I would have thought that if you went with a single fin the area would have to be about the same area as the two fins put together and look like how a Tonka fin in size does.  
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

fallenphoenix

saw this last night, ok the Taiwanese bird looks more like the single fin Bug idea but thought I' throw this in anyway:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthrea...ead.php?t=73077

looks like the Iranians have been busy kitbashing real F-5's again lol
Per Ardua Ad Astra

"Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Rafael

Great build, Carlos. As for what to put under the tailfin filler, well, maybe a chaff/flare dispenser and on the other side, a supplemental intake or a little bulge for a jammer?

Great one.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

elmayerle

Quotean engineer could probably say (Evan ?) but the fin area looks about the same as only one of the twin fins area, I would have thought that if you went with a single fin the area would have to be about the same area as the two fins put together and look like how a Tonka fin in size does.
No, I do believe it's a larger fin area than either of the F-18's regular vertical tails, but I'm not sure if it's large enough.  If I was going to do a single-vertical F-18, I'd likely start with either the vertical tail from the F-16 and reshape it's profile or take a leaf from the orginal F-16XL concept and use a horizontal tail as an all-moving vertical tail.  Hmm, I'll have to play with that concept.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ysi_maniac

Considering both fins (a sigle F-18's and mine, from an old Hasegawa Viggen) as trapezoids, I measured and the surface is exactly the same. So kitnut617 is right. But the piece under it contributes to stabilization, I think, and mine is more backwards. Anyhow, I am increasing the surface by a 40%. Following Evan's comment, I will increse further the movable area.  I prefer the Viggen's fin shape to that of F-16, because it reminds me F-5's, which is in F-18's origin.

Thanks

elmayerle

Well, what you might do is fill in the rudder hinge lines and scribe lines at the base of the fin to indicate an all-moving surface. That still gives you plenty of control authority while allowing you to use a smaller fin size.  As I said, I'm tempted to do one using a F-18 horizontal tail as the all-moving vertical tail.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin