A Different Land Based F-18

Started by ysi_maniac, June 14, 2007, 12:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

I've seen pictures of the Iranian's twin fin F-5 in Combat Aircraft magazine and they look like two regular F-5 fins.  Can an aircraft have too much fin? I seem to remember reading something to that affect about the Vampire and was the reason for the top of the fins being lobbed off.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

elmayerle

Yes, you can have too much fin, making the aircraft more difficult to maneuver as it's going to want to stay in the path it's on.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

kitnut617

QuoteYes, you can have too much fin, making the aircraft more difficult to maneuver as it's going to want to stay in the path it's on.
That's interesting.  Do you think the twin fin F-5 has too much fin?

elmayerle

QuoteYes, you can have too much fin, making the aircraft more difficult to maneuver as it's going to want to stay in the path it's on.
That's interesting.  Do you think the twin fin F-5 has too much fin?
I think it might well have too much.  If I was going for twin-fins, I'd make them smaller rather than botha s large as the single F-5 tail.  OTOH, as a one-off testbed for a redesign to twin-verticals, it's a quick and dirty approach that'd work.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ysi_maniac

Definitive tail fin
Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

Rafael

Carlos, your ability to turn out totally changed subjects through "Plastic Surgery" is really frightening. Looks so real it is completely credible!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

ysi_maniac

Quote from: Shasper on June 18, 2007, 06:49:14 AM
The F-18L was actualy a Northrup development of the YF-17, however everyone that did choose the Bug went with the CV version. This caused some friction between MDD and Northrup over the royalties of the design.

Shas B)

Just to resurect this thread, because I was yesterday looking at the stopped model and just considering to continue with it.

Possible Alt History:

Real history: Spanish Air Force was never happy with F-5A, just because it was not the aircraft they were looking for. But spanish aeronautical industry was very happy because that project gave them invaluable experience in building an state-of-the-art fighter.

Speculation: When Spanish Air Force was assessing FACA (Futuro Avión de Combate y Ataque) program, spanish industry lobby moved against buying F-18 manufactured in USA. Then Northrop managed to team again with CASA (currently part of EADS) to develop an F-18 derivative, deleting as much as possible MDD bits in order to avoid the royalties issue: wing folding, arrester hook, etc were deleted. Tail fin was modified to increase strike performance. At the end, MDD understood that they can get nothing at all if they do not agree or a little for the undercarriage design, that was considered adequate because of its sturdyness.

More ideas?

sotoolslinger

That is a really cool Bug Carlos. I am glad you have decided to restart it. Looking forward to progress reports :wub: :thumbsup:
I amuse me.
Huge fan of noisy rodent.
Things learned from this site: don't tease wolverine.
Eddie's personal stalker.
Worshippers in Nannerland

Taiidantomcat

That is really cool!! :wub: great look, very exotic.
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gaultier

"My model is right! It's the real world that's wrong!" -global warming scientist

An armor guy, who builds airplanes almost exclusively, that he converts to space fighters-- all while admiring ship models.

Captain Canada

That is really cool. The story makes sense as well.....good one !

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Eddie M.

Looking very sharp! :thumbsup: As a Hornet fan, this really works for me!! :ph34r:
   Eddie
Look behind you!

Sisko

Wow I like this design! :wub:

Can't wait for the next progress pics :mellow:
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

ysi_maniac

Ready for paintshop, ...
(compared with her real world sister). :thumbsup:

kitnut617

That looks quite spectacular Carlos  :thumbsup:  can't wait to see the finished product.