Mig Light Fighter

Started by McGreig, June 14, 2007, 04:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Howling Mouse

Quote(would have been an ideal candidate for the Phoenix Build if I'd been a Forum member at that time).

I don't have a problem with adding it as an entry provided no one else objects.

It's certainly too good NOT to finish-----do you think you could complete it by June 30, 2010-----I mean, 2007?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

McGreig

Wow - thanks for the encouraging comments.  :thumbsup:  I really hadn't expected such a positive response, probably because my view of the model is coloured by all the filling and sanding that I had to do and the flaws that I know are still there.  :unsure:  (Although I've noticed before that, if it's your own model, you tend to focus on the faults and it takes a fresh pair of eyes to suggest that, overall, maybe it's not too bad after all).

Here are some progress photos. I've now done some more sanding and have finished replacing the missing undercarriage parts with plastic rod and parts from the spares box and this photo also shows some armament being test fitted.

McGreig

Another photo, showing the MiG masked for painting.

JHM - Thanks. If no-one objects, I'll post some photos on the Phoenix Build thread. Now that my enthusiasm for the MiG has returned it would be good to finish it before the end of the month. (Which would also mean that it would make it to Telford this year!)

BlackOps - I think your Soviet Hawk is great - I can just imagine the looks it might get if we could put it on the Soviet SIG stand at the Nationals).

McGreig

A final photo for just now, after spraying the first coat of light blue.

In response to some of the other points raised:

I sympathise with anyone who's given up on this or A Model's Yak-130. I'm not sure how good my model actually is, but I can say that it wasn't a fun build. It used lots of filler and you can see from the photos above that I've also had to do things like add plastic shims to make the intake trunks the correct width. And of course, I did get fed up and put it aside for two years - - -

I've settled on a three tone blue scheme, and had intended to finish it in Russian markings. But North Korea and Algeria sound interesting and they already have MiG-29s. I'll have to check out the decal box.

Rafael

It was worth the wait, McGreig!

The final outcome looks fantastic

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

McGreig

Detail painting, touching up, varnishing and the addition of main wheels and weapons still to be done, but the basic camouflage scheme has now been applied.

McGreig

Almost there. Just a coat of Klear, the decals and a final coat of varnish and it'll be finished (and maybe also a couple of Atoll missiles).

BlackOps

I'm curious to see which countries markings this one will be wearing, can't wait to see it with the decals :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Archibald

QuoteAlmost there. Just a coat of Klear, the decals and a final coat of varnish and it'll be finished (and maybe also a couple of Atoll missiles).
Pure marvell!  :wub:  

Well, this plane encountered European Union Air Force (UEAF) Mako during the second Korean war of 2011  ;)  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Chap

Great work McGreig! I had never heard of this aircraft before this thread so thank you for the enlightenment.

~Steve

John Howling Mouse

Stunning!  Eight days to go...seven if you're really keeping track.   ;)  
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

McGreig

Finished!  :lol:

But - aarrrghhh!! - those markings you cry, reaching for your sunglasses! Well, it was like this - - -

Had it been built in real life, the light fighter version of the MiG-AT would probably have been for export only so, when I restarted the project, I looked for a likely export customer and, up until half an hour before applying the decals, this was going to be North Korea.  

McGreig

But then I saw reports and pictures of Azerbaijani MiG-29s. Not only did I actually have Azerbaijani markings on a just-purchased Linden Hill sheet for the L-39 Albatros, but the MiG-29s were painted in a three tone blue scheme almost identical to the scheme that I'd used for the MiG-AS.

This was clearly a Sign From God and so the North Korean decals were cast into the Outer Darkness and the Azerbaijani MiG-AS was born.

McGreig

Another view. This is the first time that I've used Linden Hill decals and they went on without any trouble.

McGreig