Main Menu

Mako

Started by Archibald, June 19, 2007, 08:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

the MAKO was a supersonic trainer project of which a mockup was build.

It interested the EAU, a MoU was even written between EADS and this country in late 2001, but the project went to naught. The plane was to be powered by a derated F-414 turbofan, giving it a speed of mach 1.5.
Two variants were drawn, a LIFT trainer and, even more interesting, a single-seat LWF.
Had both variants been produced, the HEAT could have replaced the Alpha Jet as trainer, and the LIFT would have replaced  the Jaguar as low-cost CAS platform, and even the Mirage 2000 as low-cost, best-selling fighter (competing with the
F-35 in this area).
Alas, this project is actually stalled  :(  

In february 2002 I've bought a magazine (now gone) called Aviation Design.
The same magazine had both 3-view of the Sonic Cruiser and Mako. Since this moment I wanted 1/72 scale models of this two projects.

Five years later (and thanks to the input given by this forum) the sonic Cruiser came first, so now it's time to build the Mako  :)  

I've butchered Italeri X-35 kit (earning  nice F-135 fan and exhaust to be used later  :wub: )

Tons of PSR later here's first shots of the thing... no undercarriage, simple paint sheme and markings (probably AdA, but a Spanish machine...  :wub: )

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

This model is just NEEDED
:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  
Will die without understanding this world.

HOG

EAU
MoU
EADS
LWF
HEAT
LIFT
CAS platform
PSR

Hi Archibald
Nice start to an interesting subject but could you please decipher these for an old idiot.

thanks Gary[8-]
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Spey_Phantom

EAU
MoU
EADS
LWF
HEAT
LIFT
CAS platform
PSR

Hi Archibald
Nice start to an interesting subject but could you please decipher these for an old idiot.

thanks Gary[8-]
i think i can explain these

EAU, i think you mean UAE = United Arab Emirates
MoU = Memorandum of Understanding
EADS = European Air Defence & Space
LWF = Light Weight Fighter
HEAT = High Energy Advanced Trainer
LIFT = Lead In Fighter Trainer
CAS = Close Air Support
PSR = i dont know what that is either  :huh:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

Shasper

Putty, Sand, Repeat  ;)  
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

ysi_maniac

QuoteHEAT = High Energy Advanced Trainer
What is this?
Will die without understanding this world.

B777LR

:wub:  :wub:  

That looks very much like the real one! :thumbsup:  

elmayerle

QuoteHEAT = High Energy Advanced Trainer
What is this?
High-performance trainer, essentially a step between your basic trainers (texan II, PC-9, et al.) and your various LIFT trainers.  A HEAT could likely function in the LIFT role, too, with the proper equipment fit.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Rafael

Archi....WOW!!![/size] :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Amazing plastic surgery!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

McGreig

Impressive work so far.  :thumbsup:  Looking forward to seeing it finished.

cthulhu77

goodness!  you have some sanding on your hands...but that is going to be spectacular!

BlackOps

Archi, she's looking very much like a Mako to me. Great work so far :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Archibald

EAU
MoU
EADS
LWF
HEAT
LIFT
CAS platform
PSR

Hi Archibald

thanks Gary[8-]
You're certainly not an old idiot, just someone who grown into a world were people wrote full words, not intials only  <_< .
Hell, never realised before how many acronyms you can use while just writting a small text  :wacko:  It's really a modern illness!!

QuoteEAU, i think you mean UAE = United Arab Emirates
(Yes I meant to say that, but you english never order your words in the right direction  :lol:  "Cette magique potion..."  ;)  )

Thanks for the cheers comments!  :cheers:  

More pics to come soon !!  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

First atempt at painting it, just to see what it looks like. Still much work to do!

HOG

Quote from: Archibald,Jun 20 2007, 04:47 PM

You're certainly not an old idiot, just someone who grown into a world were people wrote full words, not intials only  <_< .
Hell, never realised before how many acronyms you can use while just writting a small text  :wacko:  It's really a modern illness!

[/QUOTE]
Nicest thing anyones said to me allday and I`ll settle for best of two :D  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )