Hornet / Phantom II

Started by Eddie M., June 19, 2007, 08:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cthulhu77

"out there"...you aren't going to put spats on it, are you? :)

Eddie M.

Quote"out there"...you aren't going to put spats on it, are you? :)
Holy Smokes! Now there's a very Rutan idea! :D
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

QuoteJust wondering?

Do you do some preliminary sketchs of what the end result might be like or do you just fit stuff together until it "looks Right"

Other wise another bash to keep an eye on. B)
And this is how the process works. Unless I have an idea set in stone, I experiment a little.

Panzerwulf,
I like those photos of the Marine CH-53E. Thanks for posting those. :)
   Eddie

Look behind you!

Archibald

IHMO, this one looks much better  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

elmayerle

Looks like it's gonna be a wild one, Eddie.  Just looking at it, I'm tempted to suggest cutting down the Phantom inlets so that the wing lines up with the bottome, or a shade higher, of the engine nacelles.  You'd probably have some fun adjusting the LERX on the F-18 fuselage to get good flow into the inlets.  If 'twere me, I'd likely change the inlets to 2-D inlets like the Figi, F-14, and F-15 have or use a set of 1/72 F-111 inlets tucked in under the LERX.

Just my $0.02, hoping it helps with your inspiration.

Evan
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

HOG

Hi Eddie

Interesting to see how your minds work. Are you letting the left hand know what the rights doing yet?.

As this is an upgrade from the original Warlock are you sticking with 3 exhausts or are you going for four, it`ll add more lustre in your thruster cluster :D
Gary [8-]
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Eddie M.

QuoteHi Eddie

Interesting to see how your minds work. Are you letting the left hand know what the rights doing yet?.

As this is an upgrade from the original Warlock are you sticking with 3 exhausts or are you going for four, it`ll add more lustre in your thruster cluster :D
Gary [8-]
Actually it's whether my left hand knows what my right hand is doing. ;)  :lol: This one is going to stay fairly simple. :rolleyes: I don't want to make a Warlock copy, so I kinda want to do the opposite of the Warlock, which makes it more of a challenge. It's got to have a high wing and twin tail. I'll use the Phantom burner cans and try to use the F-4 nose as well. Who knows. I say I have a plan and poof! Everything changes. :blink: Working on changes right now.

Evan, thanks for the tips. I'm sure a couple of them will come in handy :)
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

Eddie M.

Alright, I tired of trying to be clever, so I'm going simple. This is what I'm leaning toward.. As a side note, the flash just quit on my camera and after going through the troubleshooting process, it has s#*t the bed. It's six mos. old and the flash goes kaput. <_<  :angry: It's not like I use it very much. :rolleyes: Wanna guess where it was made? :ph34r:
  Eddie

Look behind you!

upnorth

This is really shaping up nicely.

How about moving the wings back a bit and turing thehorizontal stabilizers into canards. If you can retailor the LEXs to have the canards mounded on them (al la SU-30) so much the better.

Looking forward to the finished piece, whatever form it may take.
My Blogs:

Pickled Wings: http://pickledwings.com/

Beyond Prague: http://beyondprague.net/

Eddie M.

QuoteThis is really shaping up nicely.

How about moving the wings back a bit and turing thehorizontal stabilizers into canards. If you can retailor the LEXs to have the canards mounded on them (al la SU-30) so much the better.

Looking forward to the finished piece, whatever form it may take.
I like your idea. B) What do you think? Too much of a Firefox rip off?
  Eddie

Look behind you!

Mossie

See what you mean Eddie, Viggen style canards instead?  Maybe make the vertical tails 90 degrees, or even make it a single fin?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

John Howling Mouse

Wow, that last one looks just right (to me).
Hope you make that version.   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Don't care if it looks like Firefox or anything else.
Like a child first learning to group similar things, only the simple mind constantly has to compare one thing to another in order to understand it.

Especially like the anhedral wingtips.  I think the canards are just right as is.

I even like this (gasp!) more than the T-tail version!
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

BlackOps

Oh hell yes!  

Even if it is remenescent of Firefox I wouldn't mind seeing what the US did with the design after liberating it from the Russians :rolleyes:

I have faith that whatever you decide it will be unique and very cool :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

elmayerle

Eddie, I love the canard configuration.  For the inlets, I'd think cutting down the Phantom inlets and adding bits from a couple pen caps to have something like the F-111's inlets would work, esp. if they're as far back as the F-18's inlets normally are.  That far back under the LERX, you'd get good flow down the inlet at very high angles of attack.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

ysi_maniac

Incredibly amazing concept. I love both configurations (classic and canard)

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.