Douglas A-11 Skyraider Ii

Started by Archibald, June 21, 2007, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

In 1968, after the Tet assault, USAF agree that it was time to modify the Key West agreement. From March 1968, US Army was allowed to add aircrafts to its inventory. The service first had its hands over already in service aircrafts such as Broncos, Enforcers, Birdogs, Skymasters, among others. But US Army quickly gained control on the A-X program, which gave birth to the A-10 Whartog.
But the service was so satisfied by its Skyraider that a competition for a light complement to the A-X was launched.
Douglas won the competition with an upgraded variant of the Skyraider, uninspiringly named Skyraider II.

In the end mods were so heavy that the aircraft, as the skyshark before it, was rather a new aircraft than an evolved Skyraider. But it promised much than its forerunner...

This is the T-56 Spad we talked a month ago. I've started it this afternoon while the Mako was drying, and to be honest I had more fun building this one than the Mako...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Dork the kit slayer

Im getting quite moist........................................show me more,Ill be a "bill-posters bucket" :o
Im pink therefore Im Spam...and not allowed out without an adult    

http://plasticnostalgia.blogspot.co.uk/

Archibald

QuoteIm getting quite moist........................................show me more,Ill be a "bill-posters bucket" :o
Sorry, but your post looks like chinese language for me  :wacko:  
Translation neded please!

More pics to come soon (oops, already said that for the Mako. And I only have two projects on the bench.. some of you guys seems to have dozens of it....)

Aye, just realised that you, dork, also  have a modified Skyraider on your bench. Long life to the spad!!  :bow:  
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Chap

That really looks neat Archie! I like the tricycle landing gear setup, can't wait to see this one finished.

~Steve

Rafael

Me too!

And the engine gives it a "faster than a bullet" look!
(well, a veeery slow bullet!)

Lovely plane, i join my voice to the chorus:

Long live the Skyraider!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

Those are some really cool mods, Archie. They really give it a "built for speed: look!

Brian da Basher

Archibald

Here's another shot of the thing. I've added two exhausts (made from 454 Ib bombs) and the wing was moved back 2 cm to the back, this allow a tricycle undercarriage (with a heavy bolt used as ballast, I was rather lucky to say the least  ^_^ )

I plan to paint it in Army colors, and I've found a "modern" weapon load coming from a Jaguar kit (I have to show you these bombs, I have no idea what they actually are )

Got some interesting ideas for the ther spad runway send to me, probably a jet powered variant, I'm not fixed yet...  

Damian2

That looks real whicked Archi!  
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

ysi_maniac

I like your concept

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Archibald

This thing is still progressing, I've dropped the bump above the engine, but I have now a gap to fill below the windshield...

McGreig

QuoteI've dropped the bump above the engine, but I have now a gap to fill below the windshield...
Good move - looks much sleeker (in my opinion, anyway) without the bump. Looking forward to more progress pictures.

Archibald

QuoteI've dropped the bump above the engine, but I have now a gap to fill below the windshield...
Good move - looks much sleeker (in my opinion, anyway) without the bump. Looking forward to more progress pictures.
Yes it looks better, the bump looked like the trump of these polar animals, you know the things similar to seals dubbed Sea Elephants (at least in french, elephants de mer)  :unsure:  

so it looks much better like that! I could even scrapp the canopy in favor or a modern bubble-top...  

gooberliberation

Skyraider...?
Turboprop Conversion?
US Army aircraft?

WHIFFGASM! :thumbsup:  
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Archibald

Now I have to buy an Apache to "borrow" its sets of Army decals.
I'll probably whatif the Apache itself later  ;)  

The model is close from completion, in only lacks its undercarriage doors...  :cheers:  

Archibald

With this green livery it looks a bit like a scaled-up Emb-314 ALX no ?