Dana Self Propelled Gun

Started by Mossie, June 25, 2007, 07:36:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

For Nev anyone else that's interested, heres some details on the Czech Dana SPG.

Dana 152mm SPG

Zuzana 155mm SPG, main difference is the longer gun & muzzle

It'a Self Propeled Gun with a Turret mounted 152mm Howitzer on a Tatra 815 8x8 truck chassis.  It was designed in 70's & is still in service.  The Zuzana is the same basic machine but with a 155mm Howitzer to take NATO standard shells.  One BFG!  More details here: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/wor...europe/dana.htm

There is a 1/35 resin kit but it's £150!!! :o
http://www.armour-models.co.uk/model_kit_p...anzer_shop.html
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Spey_Phantom

Dana and Zuzana, those are 2 vicious looking ladies  :blink:

:tank:  :tank:  
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

B777LR

QuoteDana and Zuzana, those are 2 vicious looking ladies  :blink:

:tank:  :tank:
so is the price

Mossie

It's a pretty normal price for resin 1/35th kits.  They're big models & the Dana is in particular a large beast so your going to pay similar prices to Anigrands C-17.  Also, 1/35 armour modellers tend to look for serious detail, so this pushes the price up too.  There are some lovey looking models on that site, but your going to need a second mortgage!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

B777LR

QuoteIt's a pretty normal price for resin 1/35th kits.  They're big models & the Dana is in particular a large beast so your going to pay similar prices to Anigrands C-17.  Also, 1/35 armour modellers tend to look for serious detail, so this pushes the price up too.  There are some lovey looking models on that site, but your going to need a second mortgage!
But still, im still on pocket money ;)  

Mossie

B777LR

QuoteKeep saving!
but then my stash will disapear! :dum:  

Mossie

Well, it's transpired that it's not Nev who I promised to dig this out for, but if there's someone else who was at Donnie who can remember, it's for you!  Anyway, good oppurtunity to show this unusual BFG!

:dum:  :dum:  :dum:  

nev

Well, it could have been me - I just have no recollection of the conversation!  Then again, with my hearing problems I was having problems hearing what people were saying to me against all the background chatter.

NARSES had a conversation with me that I wasn't quite able to pick up - something about the Pope asking him to measure the floor of the Catholic church where Thorvic's model club meet so he could get Amnesty International to install a giant crucific?
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

NARSES2

QuoteNARSES had a conversation with me that I wasn't quite able to pick up - something about the Pope asking him to measure the floor of the Catholic church where Thorvic's model club meet so he could get Amnesty International to install a giant crucific?
Nothing wrong with your hearing Nev  ;)  :D  
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sisko

Nice site that, thanks!!!!!

I want the 16" self propelled gun for 180 pound

That is nearly $540.00 aussie. :o

Definitely a marrige ender
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Mossie

Here's a pic of Dana & Zuzana's cousin, the Himalaya.  Same 155mm gun & turrett as the Zuzana mounted on a T-72 chassis.  You can get this one too from the site I posted earlier.

Sisko, I'm not an armour modeller, but I want one of those 16" guns as well!  Meet you in the singles bar for a pint???  There's some lovely stuff on that site.  At the other end of the scale, I wonder how much that Trabant is???  Must have plenty of whiffing potential!!! :dum:

Mossie

Here's a couple of short vids that I found on YouTube of several Dana's firing that BFG:
Dana's in Action
Dana's in Action II

And here's a much longer extract from a documentary, commentary in Slovak:
Self Propelled Howitzer Dana

And if anyone's interested, Geoff (Thorvic) told me about one of those 1/35 model for sale on ebay.  It's had a few bids & so far it's going for about £75, but it's still a fair bit less than the £150 of the brand new asking price:
1/35 Dana on ebay

:tank:  :tank:  :tank:

Mossie

Funnily enough Geoff, I've had thoughts on those lines, but mounting the PzH 2000 or a Gepard AA turret on Revells Faun Elefant tank transporter.  Modify the cab to add a bit of armour it & you have a German Dana!  Thought about the Gepard turret to make it a little different, trouble is there's no 1/72 kit that I know of.  You could do it in 1/35 with Trumpeters Elefant & Tamiya's Gepard, (don't know if there's a PzH 200 kit in 1/35) although it'd be on the dear side (£60 total for both kits).  I'll probably never build it, unless we have a specific armour build or something.

Howard of Effingham

yeah these SPG's rock seriously mossie.

i am thinking of adding the bridge-laying gear from the matchbox/RoG churchill AVRE
to the chassis and main body [less turret probably] of a matchbox/RoG abrams
MBT in 1/76

:P  :ill:  :banghead:  :dum:  :cheers:

i just can't bring myself to do armour SFTB, dunno why but i can't. there's a humber armoured car
that is getting wehrmacht/ ss panzer division markings and a hasegawa wehrmacht
tiny tank destroyer thingy that will get british army markings.
Keeper of George the Cat.