Little Known Twin Mustang Variant

Started by van883, July 01, 2007, 10:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

van883

except its a single twin Mustang  :)  backstory to come.

Van

Brian da Basher

I'm a bit puzzled but looking forward to seeing more. Mustangs are great fodder for whiffery!

Brian da Basher

Shasper

I suspect it'll be more of a dogfighter, the increased wingsize would offer great advantages at slower speed ;)

Looks good man I'll have to keep an eye on it!

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

philp

BDB,
He is using a fuselage from a F-82 but just regular wings etc.
Kind of like the P-51H only the fuselage is a little longer and shorter tail.
What markings are you planning?
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

van883

Thanks for the comments so far...
For info: It is mostly F-82.
The fuselage is made up of the inner halves of the left and right F-82 fuselages (enabling the fitting of P-51 tail planes.).
The wings are the outer sections of the wings of the same F-82 and the undercarriage was cut out from a P-51 and grafted in using lots of filler-the F-82 having a VERY different undercarriage set up.
I have no idea how I will finish it as yet....

Van

Rafael

Ingenuosly done, Van!!!

I like the strange looks of the wings.

Looks like something the luftwaffe would avoid.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Jeffry Fontaine

Damnit!  You beat me to it!  The one day that I don't wear my aluminum hat to keep people from reading my mind and this is what happens.  I picked up the 1/48th scale Modelcraft F-82 kit for that same purpose and after doing a dry fit I was faced with the landing gear issue which is where I stopped and put it back in the box.  

Looks good just like I figured it would.  
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

elmayerle

Nice one.  I've been doodling something similar, though more of an "early Twin Mustang", single fuselage but twin engines and the fuselage would start as a P-51B fuselage and be extended with a F-82 tail set up like you have.  I love your approach and I keep thinking that the longer fuselage on a single-engined aircraft might be required if you were to put a rather heavier engine in the front.  Lots of possibilities here.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

philp

Why not go with one of the post war ANG schemes?
That will keep the JMN's guessing.
Label it a F-51J
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Archibald

So it's a single twin-Mustang ?  :wacko:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Radish

Nice idea!!
I love it!!!

So my RAF Twin Mustang (F-82) needs to be a Mustang Mk.8 or something :lol:

SEAC colours would be nice.

I could really annoy the chaps by taking a superduper Tamiya kit and extend the nose and rear end, clip the wings a bit and.....don't know :banghead:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

gooberliberation

A de-twinned, twin? If tophe comes back, don't let him see this!
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Mossie

Great stuff Van, looks diferent enough from a common or garden 'Stang to get the JMN's scratching their heads, they'll come up with a whole list of innacurate kits that you used! :dum:  :thumbsup:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

ysi_maniac

QuoteNice one.  I've been doodling something similar, though more of an "early Twin Mustang", single fuselage but twin engines and the fuselage would start as a P-51B fuselage and be extended with a F-82 tail set up like you have.  I love your approach and I keep thinking that the longer fuselage on a single-engined aircraft might be required if you were to put a rather heavier engine in the front.  Lots of possibilities here.
Do you mean P-38 configuration?
Will die without understanding this world.

elmayerle

QuoteNice one.  I've been doodling something similar, though more of an "early Twin Mustang", single fuselage but twin engines and the fuselage would start as a P-51B fuselage and be extended with a F-82 tail set up like you have.  I love your approach and I keep thinking that the longer fuselage on a single-engined aircraft might be required if you were to put a rather heavier engine in the front.  Lots of possibilities here.
Do you mean P-38 configuration?
Nope, more like something akin to a Mustang equivalent of the "Twin-P-40", but more intelligently done.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin