Little Known Twin Mustang Variant

Started by van883, July 01, 2007, 10:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chap

Really neat Van! Maybe in a Korea era paint scheme or an export to a Latin American country?

~Steve

van883

The F-82-J Mustang was born out of the Korean War which dragged on into 1955. The war weary F51-Ds were becoming fewer in number and increasingly difficult to maintain. The USAF appreciated the value of prop driven aircraft but at that time would not consider buying a Navy aircraft such as the Skyraider….
North American proposed a single fuselage development of the F-82 Twin Mustang using modified outer wings and an F-51 undercarriage arrangement. The US govt would not sanction production of a new prop driven fighter type, so to work around this the designation remained F-82
The aircraft depicted is one of a batch of 50 transferred from storage to the VNAF in 1966 to supplement the Skyraiders then in service.

Van

Sisko

Nice stuff :thumbsup:

I doubt most of the un-initiated would even spot it's a whif :ar:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Brian da Basher

Wow that's sharp, Van! Love the South Vietnamese markings!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Mossie

You know, it does have that 'different' look about it but it's hard to put your finger on it & I wouldn't have guessed it had I not been 'in the know'.  Great work Van, the camo & markings look great on it & that backstory fits perfectly!

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

Camo and markings are superb, very neat!

I'm fond of this pic

funny to see how long F-82 fuselage were compared to stock Mustangs...  :wub:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

B777LR

QuoteCamo and markings are superb, very neat!

I'm fond of this pic

funny to see how long F-82 fuselage were compared to stock Mustangs...  :wub:
I second archie on everything :wub:  

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

Damian2

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

And it being in SEA camo makes it 1000% sexier too! This kit is too hot for this forum!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

kitnut617

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Tophe

Quote from: gooberliberation on July 02, 2007, 03:48:52 AM
A de-twinned, twin? If tophe comes back, don't let him see this!
I am back, and smiling: you know, Il love Mustangs as well as twin-boomers, and a brand new Mustang is always welcome.
But, uh, I do prefer twin-Mustangs. So... let me imagine a F-82J twinned back, in a different way: TF-82J... Thanks!
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Captain Canada

Oooh.....you gotta love it when 'lost whifs' come out of the closet !

Nice one. A neat idea as well ! Would have been great to see Mustangs soldier on into the Vietnam war. Would make an intersting history book.

:cheers:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Tophe

Quote from: Tophe on October 26, 2008, 10:27:55 PM
I love Mustangs as well as twin-boomers, and a brand new Mustang is always welcome.
Thanks!
This new Mustang of yours inspired me 2 other new ones, see
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,4461.msg313033.html#new
Thanks again!

noxioux

The SEA scheme and markings are great.  This is a seriously great idea, and great build.   :thumbsup:

Tophe

I am happy to have made this old topic live again (despite the warning "too old, are you very sure?"), 15 months later, as the other replies proove I am not the only one discovering now. ;D
So a whole batch of new clapping hands welcome this great creation, and this is well deserved :thumbsup:
(But I have only browsed 4 of the 14 pages that came with the search tool, requiring "Mustang", I hope I will find other great ones like this ;D)