Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

The UK ceremony was held at the National Memorial Arboretum and one of the memorials they focused on was a simple stretch of old railway line replete with wreaths in tribute to all those who worked in labour camps building them out there. Very simple, very moving.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 15, 2020, 07:33:53 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 15, 2020, 05:50:55 AM
Our prime minister has been filmed at a commemorative event at the National War Memorial in Canberra.  They sat him in front of a Sea Fury.

Yes, I watched it this morning. :thumbsup:

Quite moving in a very unpretentious way, too.

There are worse things to be sat in front of than a Sea Fury. ;)

Yes, but they could have chosen an aircraft we actually operated in WW2.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on August 15, 2020, 07:55:40 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 15, 2020, 07:33:53 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 15, 2020, 05:50:55 AM
Our prime minister has been filmed at a commemorative event at the National War Memorial in Canberra.  They sat him in front of a Sea Fury.

Yes, I watched it this morning. :thumbsup:

Quite moving in a very unpretentious way, too.

There are worse things to be sat in front of than a Sea Fury. ;)

Yes, but they could have chosen an aircraft we actually operated in WW2.

I think they may have chosen the location with an eye to having the P-40 diorama behind the speakers, rather than what was behind the dignitaries.

However, it's an interesting question as to why a Sea Fury is in that area, as they only saw combat in Korea, from memory ..... & why is there a FAA aircraft in with the RAAF aircraft? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

I did see the Warhawk there too.  And the speakers were more important than the pollies.
Last time I went there G for George was on display (Lancaster) in memory of all the Aussies and Kiwis who died in bomber command.

I suppose we should just be happy Scotty from Marketing didn't insist he was filmed in front of the Huey display.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Captain Canada

With the float down taking pace tomorrow, the coast guard is here and ready. They had a bunch of RHIBs and other boats lined up for tomorrow as well. I'' go to the river tomorrow and grab some pics of the action, I hope.

117945646_10224028445365215_6773822116760083968_n by Todd Pomerleau, on Flickr
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Rheged

About 7:30 this evening, a pair of Chinooks southbound, very low (under 250 feet) and very fast, and  playing Old Harry with television reception.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rheged

Just after 11 this morning, we were going into Hereford, when we were overflown by a Spitfire PRXI (PL983).........the one that's currently doing the rounds of NHS sites.  Too far away for photos, but to see it silhouetted against a rather dramatic cloudscape makes one realise what a pretty little aircraft it is.

zenrat

Roused from my lunch by one heck of a racket I rushed outside (without my phone or a camera) to see the air ambulance (Augusta-Westland AW-139) going past just above the treetops (so about 70 to 80 feet).
I think it had just taken off from the football oval at the end of the road.

Here's someone else's picture.
Fred

zenrat

2:30 am.  Helicopter just went over low showing no lights.  Cloud base is low tonight but this sounded lower than that.  Nothing on the tracking site so I assume it was military on its way to HMAS Cerberus and had its transponder off.

That or one of Chris's black ones checking up on me...

:o

<edit>

20 minutes later it went over again going the other way.  Just enough time for it to fly to Cerberus, drop off whoever was in it and fly back.
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2020, 09:44:40 AM

:o

If it had been, you wouldn't of known  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: zenrat on August 22, 2020, 09:44:40 AM
2:30 am.  Helicopter just went over low showing no lights.  Cloud base is low tonight but this sounded lower than that.  Nothing on the tracking site so I assume it was military on its way to HMAS Cerberus and had its transponder off.

At least you rate a proper helicopter. I've just had a black microlight  flying low over us, making a terrible row whilst converting valuable hydrocarbon into noise and annoyance. 

JayBee

No photos, sorry, but yesterday there was a Cessna 208 flying procedures here but then I heard something rather louder. Looking out the windo I saw a four ship formation of single turbine types heading SSE but I could not confirm what they were.
I now know that it was four new A-29 Super Tucanos on delivery to the Afghan AF.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on August 24, 2020, 11:30:54 AM

I now know that it was four new A-29 Super Tucanos on delivery to the Afghan AF.

That's a LONG flight ahead of them. I hope they know some friendly places to refuel.  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

I would expect somewhere in SE England would be next and then onwards. Possibly not a night stop here as the weather about to hit us is not meant to be so nice.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

perttime

I'm sure I saw the Afghan Super Tucanos mentioned in some sort of news. There was supposed to be a Dornier 228 flying with them for support.