Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 07, 2022, 05:42:43 AM
I meant in Latvia. Pretty sure I read that somewhere fairly recently.

In my Reply #6201 maybe ?
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Old Wombat

That was certainly one of them but I think there was something more when I was reading stuff about the Ukraine War & the unintended (by Russia) consequences on a Google search, I think.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Nick

Operation Reassurance https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/operations/military-operations/current-operations/operation-reassurance.html

Approximately 500 sailors onboard two frigates, operating with NATO (HMCS Montreal and Halifax)
695 soldiers leading a NATO enhanced Forward Presence Battle Group in Latvia
140 members of the Royal Canadian Air Force and approximately 5 CF-188 Hornet aircraft participating in NATO enhanced Air Policing, and one CP-140 Aurora long range patrol aircraft
120 soldiers in Poland to assist with efforts to support and care for Ukrainians fleeing violence

Go Canada!  :thumbsup:

perttime

I don't see much sense in coming here if you want to supply Canadian troops. The Canadian C-130 has departed from here, and disappeared from tracking, again, right after entering Latvian airspace, though....

...And the New Zealand one is coming back from Slovakia. Im sure it will fly over me in half an hour, or so.
edit:
yep. Tried to get a pic but capturing an airplane in the sky with my phone does not yield spectacular results. A darker grey C-130 silhouette against lighter grey sky.

This is very busy compared with the rare C-130 visits that I usually see.

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=c2b52b,c87f04

edit 8 May:
That Kiwi C-130 is here again. Saw it through the kitchen window.
The Canadian one has gone to Prestwick. As far as I can tell, they've been shuttling between Finland and Slovakia.

Spey_Phantom

just as i was about to start making dinner, we had a old Douglas DC-3 fly over, love that sound and that elegant 1930's look  :wub:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

PR19_Kit

A Hurricane and a Spitfire flew over in a VERY close formation, the wings nearly interlocking with each other, at around 2500 ft. Bliss!

But I'm with my friends in Northants right now and they're right under a direct flightpath from Duxford to Sywell so such things are to be expected.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

zenrat

I have noticed, while walking Charlie the Wonder Dog round the cemetery in the dark (I know how to enjoy myself), that there is a semi regular 6:30pm helicopter heading south which judging by it's position to the West of the cemetery is following the shoreline.
No idea what it is as it is dark and by the time I get home I have usually forgotten all about it and so don't look it up.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on May 22, 2022, 05:37:04 AM
I have noticed, while walking Charlie the Wonder Dog round the cemetery in the dark (I know how to enjoy myself), that there is a semi regular 6:30pm helicopter heading south which judging by it's position to the West of the cemetery is following the shoreline.
No idea what it is as it is dark and by the time I get home I have usually forgotten all about it and so don't look it up.

Change of shift for the Bass Strait oil rigs...
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

zenrat

Or a denizen of the city taking the company chopper home to The Peninsula estate for tea with the wife and kids?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

rickshaw

Quote from: zenrat on May 23, 2022, 03:36:50 AM
Or a denizen of the city taking the company chopper home to The Peninsula estate for tea with the wife and kids?

Or to visit the mistress secreted away from the limelight... :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

NARSES2

Was driving up to Haltwhistle on Hadrian's Wall in the pouring rain on Tuesday and a V-22 Osprey went roaring over head. Impressive beast.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Pretty good day yesterday:

• Some Royal Army Wildcats flapped by, apparently resting on our nearby helicopter wing outside Linkoping on their way home from Estonia.

• The only flying SAAB B17 bomber roared by, just high enough not to rip leaves off the oaks on my land (as in Gloucestershire, we have "land" here, not gardens ;)) Magnificent aircraft. What a noise!  :wub:

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Oh wow, that must have been spectacular!  :o

It's always good when you see the ONLY flying example of a type when airborne.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 03, 2022, 07:29:55 AM
Oh wow, that must have been spectacular!  :o

It's always good when you see the ONLY flying example of a type when airborne.  :thumbsup:

It is always a delight to see any elderly flying machine in its proper element..............FLYING!!!.  You lucky person, seeing the SAAB at low altitude.

Chris, my contacts in north Cumbria (I used to live in Carlisle) tell me that there are a couple of Ospreys  pottering around between the Otterburn and Spadeadam ranges at present.   While you are in that area, do try to get to Carlisle airport to the Solway aviation museum; even if it's shut you can still wander around under the Vulcan and see various other flying machines outdoors.

Best I've seen today is the Pitts Special  biplane from Shobdon being hurled around the sky in a frankly outrageous manner.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

The Wooksta!

Don't quite wht has been flying over the Toon, but judging by the noise it must have been big.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic