Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

perttime

Spent a while in the evening, watching military aircraft over Europe. 4 of them. A helicopter about 200ft below ground over Dublin, another over Paris, a US C-17, apparently returning to Ramstein from the direction of Egypt, and a Czech Gripen flying back and forth and up and down.

I was thinking the Gripen might do a practice intercept of the C-17 at 30,000ft but no. It went lower level and disappeared from view a little below 1,000 ft. No runways very near that location.

Spey_Phantom

i just had a beautiful flyby from a Belgian Air Force NH90-NFH  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on May 16, 2020, 05:02:28 AM
Wed, Thurs, Fri and today (Sat)  an Osprey.  Shuttling between the SAS place near Hereford and Shobdon airfield.   At Shobdon, they are  parachuting out. Rheged minor  reports that on his way back from work yesterday he was passed by four Land Rovers in convoy, each one full of young men with shortish hair and determined expressions.

Selection time ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 17, 2020, 06:05:27 AM
Quote from: Rheged on May 16, 2020, 05:02:28 AM
Wed, Thurs, Fri and today (Sat)  an Osprey.  Shuttling between the SAS place near Hereford and Shobdon airfield.   At Shobdon, they are  parachuting out. Rheged minor  reports that on his way back from work yesterday he was passed by four Land Rovers in convoy, each one full of young men with shortish hair and determined expressions.

Selection time ?

Could well be!  I'd not thought of that but you are most probably correct.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Nick

Have we bought Osprey or are they on some sort of longterm loan from USAF or USMC?

scooter

Quote from: Nick on May 17, 2020, 09:58:33 AM
Have we bought Osprey or are they on some sort of longterm loan from USAF or USMC?

Joint Ops with the 7th SOS from Mildenhall, perhaps?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Maybe trialling methods of operation with them.

The guys at Odiham would be upset if the RAF did order any I bet.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

The Ospreys were back again above Chateau Rheged a few minutes ago.....a pair of them.  This being springtime, are they a nesting pair?  I'll admit that I know nothing about the breeding habits of this sort of Osprey  (the feathered sort I can understand).    Anyhow, they seem to be running a shuttle service between the SAS place and Shobden airfield.  Chatting to a neighbour (at 2 metres distance) he reports that people have been seen leaping out of " funny looking aircraft " over the SAS adventure playground  training area at Pontrilas on the other side of Hereford.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Last thing before leaving my temporary Northants 'home' on Tuesday I saw an Osprey in 'plane mode going like a dingbat in the vague direction of Mildenhall.

Having arrive home I saw a Merlin seemingly going even faster, and certainly LOUDER, going southwards at a VERY low altitude! He was only just above the trees at the top of the hill behind my house, so maybe tracking right on the 250 ft ASL limit.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Mossie

A lone Red Arrows Hawk went over.  I've seen the new Prefect trainer twice today, I've seen them often since working from home.

The Flightradar24 site JayBee mentioned has been useful for spotting.  My daughter spotted some very curved contrail paths, we worked out they were from a Cobham Falcon 20.  A Beluga was passing over yesterday, but it was too cloudy to see.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Mossie on June 05, 2020, 09:26:35 AM

The Flightradar24 site JayBee mentioned has been useful for spotting.  My daughter spotted some very curved contrail paths, we worked out they were from a Cobham Falcon 20.  A Beluga was passing over yesterday, but it was too cloudy to see.

Indeed it is. I've been watching some of my mates from the Gliding Club getting airborne and thermalling about, and I'm about 110 miles away from them!  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 05, 2020, 09:31:15 AM
Quote from: Mossie on June 05, 2020, 09:26:35 AM

Indeed it is. I've been watching some of my mates from the Gliding Club getting airborne and thermalling about, and I'm about 110 miles away from them!  :thumbsup:

Yep.  I've been watching the Victoria Police chopper noodling about over the city.  It's also usefull to find out what's going over at night (cops again).
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Mossie

Just a few minutes ago, 5 Red Arrow Hawks went over while out on a walk.  Heard the rest shortly after but we were in a wood.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

perttime

Took a look at https://tar1090.adsbexchange.com/ again. Nothing too exciting in my area ... but

What is that Swedish ELINT Gulfstream doing, flying a very precise race track over the Baltic, not far from Kaliningrad
AND, there's a RAF Bombardier Sentinel R.1 in the area, too, over Poland.

Mossie

The Red Arrows were followed up by a Diamond DA-42, never seen one in the flesh before.