Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 13, 2020, 08:34:58 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 13, 2020, 07:57:33 AM

Nor did I get a "crossing the line certificate". That actually miffed me a bit as my dad got one and had a full crossing the line ceremony and that was during the middle of a World War  ;)

I didn't get one from BA when I flew to South Africa the first time in 1978 either. :(

You'd have thought they'd have given them out with the landing cards, wouldn't you?

Me neither in 2003, the only time I've been south of the equator.

Doug K

Not sure what it's been like elsewhere in the world but during lockdown we've had some interesting visitors into Edinburgh airport, A400s, C17s, Hercules and evening Typhoons flying circuits over our house.

Old Wombat

"Crossing the Line" ceremonies are a naval tradition, not airline.

In the navy it could get ... "boisterous" ... &, quite often, trended into what the Australian military called "bastardisation" ("hazing" on steroids).

Some passenger liner companies instituted sanitised versions run by their entertainment staff, others opted not to indulge.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

I recall reading about a passenger ship, IIRC, crossed the Equator at the International Date Line on New Year's Eve, so the ship was in two different days, months, seasons, and years all at the same time.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

That's pretty cool. I love neat little things like that. It even creates a situation where one could "run around" and go between seasons and days and back again in rapid succession for giggles.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Not exactly over my house but I bought a new telescope today and observed Jupiter and four of its moons tonight. I was looking for the NEOWISE comet but it must not be in quite the right position yet.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 13, 2020, 05:45:40 PM
"Crossing the Line" ceremonies are a naval tradition, not airline.

Beat me to it mate  :thumbsup:

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

scooter

Quote from: scooter on July 13, 2020, 05:56:07 PM
I recall reading about a passenger ship, IIRC, crossed the Equator at the International Date Line on New Year's Eve, so the ship was in two different days, months, seasons, and years all at the same time.

Found it.  SS Warrimoo, at the turn of the 20th Century.  So- 2 days, months, seasons, years, hemispheres, and centuries.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Cracking story, I LOVE that!   :thumbsup: :wub: ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

JayBee

That story realy appeals to my sense of crazyness.  :wub:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Nick

Did anyone try and do that 100 years later?

Mossie

Seen a few over the last couple of days.  A400M came over, looking at Flightradar24 it did a touch and go at Humberside airport before heading back to Brize Norton.
Yesterday saw another line Red Arrow Hawk and a Grob Prefect.
Today I've just seen an Eastern Airlines ERJ 145 heading into Humberside.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Half an hour ago, a Hercules heading east at "very low indeed" level, and ten minutes later a Puma at "ridiculously low" level, heading west with the whole crew presumably all pedalling as fast as they could.  I assume that the Hereford cowboys are out to play in either their Pontrilas adventure playground, or in the Brecon Beacons.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Y'day I heard, but didn't see, a Griffon engined 'something' pass overhead. Presumably one of the BoB Flights late mark Spitfires, as I don't know of any others in this area who fly such things.

Flightradar24 was uncommunicative on its description. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Nick

On Sunday evening the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane flew over central London. No reason I could find online anywhere at that time. I've since learnt they were filming for a VJ-Day 75 TV show.

Quite unexpected and lovely to see in the bright evening sky.