Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I was daydreaming about what I'd do if I found an old bomb while digging the garden this weekend but that grenade would be enough to start with!

There was a bit of aviation activity in the garden today. My work was closely overseen by Bob, a robin who is developing a 'mid-level apartment with balcony in natural surrounds' above our fern area. Bob was most interested in the worms that I dug up and tweeted something rude when I got careless while watering the plants.

Overhead today from North Weald was the old 'power-to-noise converter' in the silver form of an early Jet Provost XD693. Like a teenager on a Vespa, loud but going nowhere fast  ;D
Plenty of light aircraft buzzing around too.

Saturday I heard a pair of Pratts carrying the BBMF Dakota past North Weald. A look at Planefinder suggests she was off towards Biggin Hill and other places. May have been a training flight before the season starts. Certainly has a distinctive sound  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on May 30, 2021, 10:21:44 AM
As best I can identify it -- yes.

I fairly sure it's one of these, a Type 17 German WWI grenade. Whether it's live I've no idea, it didn't go bang when the machine hit it but you can't be certain. I'm going to report it to the police tomorrow.

Flipping Ada ! How the heck did it get there ??  :unsure:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 31, 2021, 06:36:46 AM

I fairly sure it's one of these, a Type 17 German WWI grenade. Whether it's live I've no idea, it didn't go bang when the machine hit it but you can't be certain. I'm going to report it to the police tomorrow.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_Cache_Case

But seriously: taken home after being liberated fron a German soldier. And then whoever had it, didn't feel like either using it or talking to the police about it.

scooter

Quote from: perttime on May 31, 2021, 10:05:04 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 31, 2021, 06:36:46 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_Cache_Case

But seriously: taken home after being liberated fron a German soldier. And then whoever had it, didn't feel like either using it or talking to the police about it.

Or they had kids, who then proceeded to play with it and lose it the stand of trees, and promptly forgot about it.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

The thing was under a very large popular tree, mixed up amongst the roots, the tree was quite old and about 70 feet high but had died off(actually, there was a group of three trees that grew very close together) How it got there is a bit of a mystery but I'm going to ask the old family who owned this land around here from the very start. Most of the families here are forth or fifth generation families and own the land they have outright.

I had three Grand Uncles settle out here in 1903 (brothers of my Gran on my Dad's side), one of them volunteered when the call up came at the beginning of WWI but was killed at Vimy Ridge. I do know a very large contingent of men from around this area all did the same and formed a battalion which was absorbed into one of the big regiments in Calgary. I've got a long photo of these men of the battalion which has my Grand Uncle in it. Only about 10% of them out of almost 200 came back ---

I'd imagine some war souvenirs came back with them --- 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

Seen an hour ago.....real air to air combat!!

The rooks nesting in the trees on  the field boundary at the back of the garden  put up a squadron of interceptors to persuade a couple of circling buzzards to go away.   A great deal of cawing and screeching, with rapid and very sudden changes of height and direction by the rooks defending their airspace/nest sites  and the buzzards finally went off to annoy someone else.    The Rook interceptor force then stood down.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rick Lowe

So... you could say they were told to 'Rook Off'?

Though not if you didn't want to annoy Chris...  ;)

NARSES2

Now't wrong with that  ;D

I've got quite a high "annoyance threshold" - normally  ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 03, 2021, 12:16:28 AM

Probably just as well, in my case...  ;)

scooter

Heard, not seen last night - 5 pairs of Yawn Darts launching on afterburner.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Quote from: Rick Lowe on June 03, 2021, 09:05:16 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on June 03, 2021, 12:16:28 AM

Probably just as well, in my case...  ;)

;D ;D

Pursuing the ornithological theme a flight of Green Parrots squabbling with some Crows. Not sure who were the noisiest, but they could have one medals for it  :angel:

zenrat

This morning whilst walking the dog in the cemetery - a flock of Noisy Miners mobbing a Heron.  Heron landed on top of a power pole and the Miners flocked off.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Captain Canada

NASA Gulfstream from Langley was overhead today. Cool !
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Pellson

Last Friday, it was the 70th anniversary of the first jet engine propelled flight. To celebrate that, a Vampire T.11 made a few rounds over the city where my hospital is situated, and me being on floor 19 made for a good vantage point. Annoyingly, the pretty well insulated hospital windows killed off most of the otherwise very distinctive noise.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Pellson

...and writing that (I'm back temporarily at the hospital for checkups) I see a familiar sight over the military airfield west of the city. Opening the weather window, I can also hear it - the worlds only SAAB B17 is practicing! Nice!

Picture linked from random interwebz site, just to give you an idea.  ;)
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!