Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

Quote from: Nick on July 24, 2021, 10:43:41 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 24, 2021, 07:46:21 AM
Quote from: Mossie on July 24, 2021, 07:02:27 AM

Driving past Pocklington driving club. Only there because of a detour due to a WWII bomb being found near a major road.

Heard about that on the radio Mossie. They've not said if it's one of ours or one of theirs though  :angel: Controlled explosion later today, 500lb should make a big bang  ;)

They now think it was one of ours, let loose by a Lancaster on a crash landing. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-57953506

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2021-07-24/second-world-war-bomb-on-goole-housing-development-detonated

Cheers guys, I hadn't heard that. I'd assumed it was German due to the docks at Goole.

Similar to you guys, it's something that still hasn't quite gone away. Most have been found but I saw some bomb survey vehicles at a building site a few weeks ago, they're around whenever there's major works.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Quote from: Mossie on July 29, 2021, 08:33:22 AM

Driving past Pocklington driving club. Only there because of a detour due to a WWII bomb being found near a major road.

Heard about that on the radio Mossie. They've not said if it's one of ours or one of theirs though  :angel: Controlled explosion later today, 500lb should make a big bang  ;)

They now think it was one of ours, let loose by a Lancaster on a crash landing. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-57953506

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2021-07-24/second-world-war-bomb-on-goole-housing-development-detonated

Cheers guys, I hadn't heard that. I'd assumed it was German due to the docks at Goole.

Similar to you guys, it's something that still hasn't quite gone away. Most have been found but I saw some bomb survey vehicles at a building site a few weeks ago, they're around whenever there's major works.

I think we tend to forget just how much ordinance was flung around Europe during the World Wars (artillery in France more so during the earlier unpleasantness), how much of it didn't detonate, and what's waiting to be "rediscovered".
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: scooter on July 29, 2021, 09:39:54 AM
Quote from: Mossie on July 29, 2021, 08:33:22 AM

I think we tend to forget just how much ordinance was flung around Europe during the World Wars (artillery in France more so during the earlier unpleasantness), how much of it didn't detonate, and what's waiting to be "rediscovered".

One of the biggest unexploded bombs found recently was a Tallboy in a canal. They had to explode it right where it was found too ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

The amount of WWI unexploded ordinance dug up every year in Belgium and France is still staggering, especially during the ploughing season. I won't go into why there were so many duds, especially in 1915, early 16, but lets just say it was similar to the on-going PEP issues here in the UK, especially at the start of the Pandemic  :angel:.

We still get 2 or 3 unexploded bombs here in London every year, the real problems occur when we get unexploded land mines though. Bomb Disposal don't like those at all. As a kid we quite often got chased off "playing fields" by the local police because a bomb had been discovered on a building site.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Mossie

A Hawk went overhead, pretty high and could just make it out.

Checked up on flightradar, it didn't show but there were several Hawks in the area including a Red Arrow.  Added to that there are several Cobham Falcon 20s, several Typhoons, several F-15s and two KC-135s over the North Sea.  One of the Hawks had the calllsign AGRSOR63 so I guess there's a  exercise going on.

The two KC-135s have the Calllsign LAGR44 & 45 so someone's having a laugh!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

Quote from: Mossie on August 03, 2021, 02:39:30 AM
A Hawk went overhead, pretty high and could just make it out.

Checked up on flightradar, it didn't show but there were several Hawks in the area including a Red Arrow.  Added to that there are several Cobham Falcon 20s, several Typhoons, several F-15s and two KC-135s over the North Sea.  One of the Hawks had the calllsign AGRSOR63 so I guess there's a  exercise going on.

The two KC-135s have the Calllsign LAGR44 & 45 so someone's having a laugh!

The MOD publish some details of military exercises online. This week around the Scottish coast is Exercise Typhoon Warrior 21, in Anglian skies is Exercise Grey Eagle.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/military-low-flying-mod-sponsored-air-exercises

Spey_Phantom

i was at my cousin's wedding today, and perfectly timed, the moment she walked out city hall, a couple of F-16's made a low flyby  :thumbsup:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 30, 2021, 05:37:05 AM

The amount of WWI unexploded ordinance dug up every year in Belgium and France is still staggering, especially during the ploughing season. I won't go into why there were so many duds, especially in 1915, early 16, but lets just say it was similar to the on-going PEP issues here in the UK, especially at the start of the Pandemic  :angel:.

We still get 2 or 3 unexploded bombs here in London every year, the real problems occur when we get unexploded land mines though. Bomb Disposal don't like those at all. As a kid we quite often got chased off "playing fields" by the local police because a bomb had been discovered on a building site.

Shells from the US Civil War are occasionally dug up that are still sealed and the filling
isn't degraded and still explosive.

jcf

I didn't see them but a couple of Chinooks flew by the house the other day while I
was out doing the grocery shopping, I do all the cooking and the shopping as Gail
is not too fond of cooking and hates shopping.
Evidently our heeler Hazel wasn't too enamored of them, Gail didn't know what they
were and asked me, "What's the helicopter that looks like a 'Flying Pickle' with the
rotors at each end?"
;D

kerick

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 20, 2021, 12:53:20 PM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 30, 2021, 05:37:05 AM

Shells from the US Civil War are occasionally dug up that are still sealed and the filling

There was a Japanese torpedo dredged up out of Pearl Harbor quite a few years ago now. History groups wanted to save it but the Navy said no way and took it out to deep water and blew it up. Hate to lose a piece of history but way better than someone getting killed.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Upon waking yesterday I  looked out the bedroom window (West facing) and thought "the sky is an odd colour".
Looking to the East I saw this.
20210820_065309 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
That's the rising sun illuminating the low cloud base from below.

By the time I got my act together and got out with the mutley hound the sky had returned to a sensible colour.  But I did get a rainbow.
20210820_071226 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 20, 2021, 12:53:20 PM

Probably far safer from bomb deposals point of view than if they'd started to degrade.

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quite a busy day, today.  This morning  a brace of Hawks, heading East. Lunchtime, two pairs of Typhoons, heading West  and in mid afternoon whilst I was out gardening......... a BLACK HELICOPTER  (with a yellow top).   It hovered over the grounds of the houses/flats of which Chateau Rheged is part for a couple of minutes then flew off towards Shawbury.     Am I under surveillance once more?  Was I potting on the lavender in a subversive fashion? Are the roses  suffering from bourgeois revisionism as well as greenfly?    Or was the pilot lost, and frantically studying his maps before returning to base for tea and sticky buns? 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on August 25, 2021, 09:39:58 AM
Quite a busy day, today.  This morning  a brace of Hawks, heading East. Lunchtime, two pairs of Typhoons, heading West  and in mid afternoon whilst I was out gardening......... a BLACK HELICOPTER  (with a yellow top).   It hovered over the grounds of the houses/flats of which Chateau Rheged is part for a couple of minutes then flew off towards Shawbury.     Am I under surveillance once more?  Was I potting on the lavender in a subversive fashion? Are the roses  suffering from bourgeois revisionism as well as greenfly?    Or was the pilot lost, and frantically studying his maps before returning to base for tea and sticky buns?

Yes :wacko:
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

The black helicopter with yellow top is an RAF helicopter trainer --- I've got one of my Bell Griffin builds going in that scheme.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike