Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

A large flock of Barn Swallows have taken up residence in our yard. Each day they put on an amazing aerial display swooping all over the place especially around the house. And just out of principle, whenever the Magpies are on the ground, the Swallows will dive bomb them continuously  ---- 
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

Virtually every chopper at Shawbury is in that yellow-over-black scheme, there's HORDES of them there, in various sizes.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 25, 2021, 11:37:53 AM
A large flock of Barn Swallows have taken up residence in our yard. Each day they put on an amazing aerial display swooping all over the place especially around the house. And just out of principle, whenever the Magpies are on the ground, the Swallows will dive bomb them continuously  ----

Correction --- not just Barn Swallows but Tree Swallows too ---

jcf

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 21, 2021, 05:36:36 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 20, 2021, 12:53:20 PM

Shells from the US Civil War are occasionally dug up that are still sealed and the filling
isn't degraded and still explosive.

Probably far safer from bomb deposals point of view than if they'd started to degrade.

Mostly just black powder, so not too dangerous to handle, what's scary is that on occasion
the fuses have been found to be intact and still viable. They are a handling danger.

Captain Canada

Galaxy just flew over. Always nice to see some action ! Airshow weekend as well.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on August 26, 2021, 12:45:44 PM

Mostly just black powder, so not too dangerous to handle, what's scary is that on occasion
the fuses have been found to be intact and still viable. They are a handling danger.

Reminds me of 617 Sqdn searching for a Grand Slam casing to go with their Upkeep and Tallboy bombs that were mounted outside their HQ at RAF Lossiemouth. One eventually surfaced, from a bomb dump at a nameless RAF Station in the south, and it was duly shipped off to Scotland.

The Squadron's Armament Officer then found that the Grand Slam 'casing' wasn't just a casing, it was full of explosive, and the fuses were STILL in place!!!!  :o

Needless to say it was disarmed and emptied pretty darn quickly!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 27, 2021, 05:50:04 AM

Reminds me of 617 Sqdn searching for a Grand Slam casing to go with their Upkeep and Tallboy bombs that were mounted outside their HQ at RAF Lossiemouth. One eventually surfaced, from a bomb dump at a nameless RAF Station in the south, and it was duly shipped off to Scotland.

The Squadron's Armament Officer then found that the Grand Slam 'casing' wasn't just a casing, it was full of explosive, and the fuses were STILL in place!!!!  :o

Apparently an urban myth ---

PR19_Kit

My guide at Lossie, a 617 man himself, said it was true..............

Regards
Kit

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 27, 2021, 05:50:04 AM

Sounds no worse than 177 EOD and the Warren Grove Range staff finding a buried, intact, and still armed Mk13 aerial torpedo in the impact area...other than the utter level of destruction that would have been wrought on Lossiemouth and environs had it gone off.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Well Kit, my Dad served with 617 Sqn. during the time they were using the Tallboy and Grand Slam ('44-'46). He told me that on a few occasions the aircraft brought the bombs back as they were instructed to do should they not be able to see the primary or secondary targets set for the operation. And after the aircraft landed it would taxi to a certain area and shut down. After the crew exited the aircraft, the first person to approach it was the Armourer. He then defused the bomb. He would have also 'armed' it earlier after the bomb had been winched into the aircraft.

Although there 'could' be the possibility of it have explosives in it, I very much doubt that the one at Scampton had fuses in it for this very reason. But while searching the internet for the story, it's all coming up as being a myth. The main propagator of the story comes from somewhere in Australia of all places ----

The story says the bomb was carefully loaded onto a Queen Mary recovery trailer, what I've read is that these trailers was only rated for 3 tons, although there was another type rated at 5 tons.

Rheged

Near Lancaster, on the way up to Carlisle..........checking on aged mothers again...........at least three Pumas, heading south east..
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 26, 2021, 08:02:59 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on August 25, 2021, 11:37:53 AM

Correction --- not just Barn Swallows but Tree Swallows too ---

We've just discovered the reason for the aerial displays right in front of our front window. A pair of swallows have built a classic mud nest in the recessed light fixture in the eave which is right over the old front door which we don't use now. There's babies in there ----- although by the size of them I think it won't be long before they leave the nest. 

NARSES2

I've always found mud nests fascinating. Great you've got one so close you can see it clearly. Hopefully they will return next season.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Seen over north Carlisle, a Hercules making several extreme turns left and right, banking really steeply, at about 750 feet.   After this brief display, it set off at low level towards Carlisle Airport.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Nick

I spent 4 days in the area of Hay on Wye and the only flying I saw was a bright orange paraglider over Hay Bluff. On closer look we realised he had a passenger by counting the feet hanging out! Rather them than me.

I did see a Jet Ranger but it was a large model mounted on a stick. I assume it was the Hereford Model Flying Club ground by the A4103. That, by the way, is a very good road for driving  :thumbsup: