Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 07, 2021, 10:54:03 AM
a Texan T1

You'd have thought the scrambled egg types would have called it the "Harvard T1" (or would T2 be more appropriate?)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Wouldn't you? No tradition, some of them!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

The CT-156 is called a Harvard II here in Canada ----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

Just had either a YAK-18 or Nanchang CJ-6 fly over the property heading in a northeast direction

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 08, 2021, 12:51:56 PM
Just had either a YAK-18 or Nanchang CJ-6 fly over the property heading in a northeast direction

So not a re-make of North West to Alaska then ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 30, 2021, 03:41:11 PM
Quote from: kitnut617 on August 26, 2021, 08:02:59 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on August 25, 2021, 11:37:53 AM
A large flock of Barn Swallows have taken up residence in our yard. Each day they put on an amazing aerial display swooping all over the place especially around the house. And just out of principle, whenever the Magpies are on the ground, the Swallows will dive bomb them continuously  ----

Correction --- not just Barn Swallows but Tree Swallows too ---

We've just discovered the reason for the aerial displays right in front of our front window. A pair of swallows have built a classic mud nest in the recessed light fixture in the eave which is right over the old front door which we don't use now. There's babies in there ----- although by the size of them I think it won't be long before they leave the nest.

And now they've gone -- neat to see all the babies lined up side by side on the power lines (twelve of them but I haven't found where the other nests are) with the adults feeding them, and them getting to test their wings out before leaving.

Flyer

can easily tell the difference if you had a good enough view of it. If it had rounded tail group and wingtips it was a Yak, if it was all squared then it was a CJ-6. Another way to tell also involves the tail group, the Yak has it's rudder between split elevators, elevators go up to the fuselage and the fin and rudder are on top on the CJ-6. :thumbsup:

I like both aircraft and get slightly annoyed when anyone says they are the same thing, although they can be hard to tell the difference at a distance... :rolleyes:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

A warbird overflew the Post Office while I was out the back on the goods lift.  Unfortunately the roof obscured the view until it was too far away to positively identify with the naked eye.  Looked and sounded like it could have been a P40 though.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 09, 2021, 09:10:00 AM

And now they've gone -- neat to see all the babies lined up side by side on the power lines (twelve of them but I haven't found where the other nests are) with the adults feeding them, and them getting to test their wings out before leaving.

So Autumn's definitely on it's way then
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitnut617

Quote from: Flyer on September 09, 2021, 12:29:30 PM
can easily tell the difference if you had a good enough view of it. If it had rounded tail group and wingtips it was a Yak, if it was all squared then it was a CJ-6. Another way to tell also involves the tail group, the Yak has it's rudder between split elevators, elevators go up to the fuselage and the fin and rudder are on top on the CJ-6. :thumbsup:

I like both aircraft and get slightly annoyed when anyone says they are the same thing, although they can be hard to tell the difference at a distance... :rolleyes:

I left a reply to this yesterday but it's disappeared -----  :-\

Anyway, what I said was it had square wing tips but a long nose with the radial way out front. As it had approach where I was standing in the yard almost head on, and then pass directly over me, I couldn't see what the tail group looked like. I could see that it had a long canopy.

kitnut617

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 10, 2021, 06:30:26 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on September 09, 2021, 09:10:00 AM

So Autumn's definitely on it's way then

Yep! in fact most of the summer visitors have left now, even the Robins which are usually the last to leave (and first to arrive). We had a pair of Mourning Doves nesting too, a couple of days ago I saw four of them so I guess they had two babies. But they have left now too --

I did a search to find out where the swallows winter --- they go all the way down to Central and South America.

PR19_Kit

I heard it before I saw it, but it turned out to be a Bristows S-92A Coastguard SAR helicopter lifting off.  :thumbsup:

But I was on a train at Bedgellert on the lower slopes of Snowdon, so what the hell was the S-92A doing THERE of all places?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on September 10, 2021, 10:51:21 AM
I heard it before I saw it, but it turned out to be a Bristows S-92A Coastguard SAR helicopter lifting off.  :thumbsup:

But I was on a train at Bedgellert on the lower slopes of Snowdon, so what the hell was the S-92A doing THERE of all places?  :-\

An injured walker  in Snowdonia, perhaps?   Coastguard helicopters do a fair amount of Mountain Rescue........ when I was in Cumbria last week there was a Coastguard machine going into the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle  nearly every day  with a Lake District casualty.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: kitnut617 on September 10, 2021, 07:44:48 AM

I did a search to find out where the swallows winter --- they go all the way down to Central and South America.

Ours head for sub-Saharan Africa.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Rheged on September 10, 2021, 11:58:48 AM

An injured walker  in Snowdonia, perhaps?   Coastguard helicopters do a fair amount of Mountain Rescue........ when I was in Cumbria last week there was a Coastguard machine going into the Cumberland Infirmary, Carlisle  nearly every day  with a Lake District casualty.

En route home today, along the dreaded A55 on the N Wales coast, the same S-92A passed o'head on the way out into the Irish Sea, but the only things in sight were ZILLIONS of windmills with their feet deep in the sea!  :o

Regards
Kit