Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

Quote from: KiwiZac on February 24, 2022, 07:57:15 PM
Quote from: zenrat on February 19, 2022, 01:24:22 AM
So I presume it was a replica.  A quick bit of web searching has found two flying in Australia and I would expect more.
Believe it or not the Supermarine Spitfire Mk.26 and Mk.26b are Aussie designs!
That's in a roundabout way what I was trying to say in my reply...
Quote from: Flyer on February 20, 2022, 03:14:44 AM
Yeah I'd think there are quite a lot more than two replicas flying in Australia, there are two that I personally know of here in S.A. alone, one is owned by a good friend. When I was working at Archerfield airport in Q.L.D there would be different one almost every second day fly in or out, but that's hardly surprising as they are made up there somewhere. :rolleyes:
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

KiwiZac

Quote from: Flyer on February 24, 2022, 11:20:33 PM
That's in a roundabout way what I was trying to say in my reply...
Quote from: Flyer on February 20, 2022, 03:14:44 AM
Yeah I'd think there are quite a lot more than two replicas flying in Australia, there are two that I personally know of here in S.A. alone, one is owned by a good friend. When I was working at Archerfield airport in Q.L.D there would be different one almost every second day fly in or out, but that's hardly surprising as they are made up there somewhere. :rolleyes:
Oops, I missed that!
Zac in NZ
#avgeek, modelbuilder, photographer, writer. Callsign: "HANDBAG"
https://linktr.ee/zacyates

kerick

Saw a Blackhawk fly over town from the NE to the SW. Then I saw one circling town. Then another on the same path as the first so either one was goofing around or three in a row with the second one slightly lost.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Nick

I spent the last few days in west Wales. On the way home last night I was about 8 miles from Cardiff when an A400M flew over the M4 at low level. It was practically at eye level when I saw it as the motorway heads downhill into a valley there.
Low and slow  :wub:

Mossie

Unmistakable* sound of the big wokka, Chinook over the house.

*Thought it was a Robinson R22...  :drink:
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Mossie

And it came back the other way...

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

scooter

Quote from: Mossie on March 09, 2022, 06:33:44 AM
Unmistakable* sound of the big wokka, Chinook over the house.

*Thought it was a Robinson R22...  :drink:

Quote from: Mossie on March 09, 2022, 09:01:02 AM
And it came back the other way...

Beer run
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on March 09, 2022, 10:26:21 AM

Beer run

When my #2 daughter was in the Tower at Odiham, the home of the Wokkas in the UK (Did you know she was the RAF's Best......oh, you did, OK) they used to do exactly that apparently.

It was deemed '...good training....' for them for carrying in fragile and delicate cargoes, and almost all the beer supplies for the various messes were air freighted in.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 09, 2022, 11:54:50 AM

Beer run

When my #2 daughter was in the Tower at Odiham, the home of the Wokkas in the UK (Did you know she was the RAF's Best......oh, you did, OK) they used to do exactly that apparently.

It was deemed '...good training....' for them for carrying in fragile and delicate cargoes, and almost all the beer supplies for the various messes were air freighted in.  ;D

OMG the uproar that would be heard over here from the press and Congress if US military aircraft were found out to be hauling booze around! You would hear the sound in the UK without it being on the TV.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

scooter

Quote from: kerick on March 09, 2022, 02:34:33 PM

Beer run

OMG the uproar that would be heard over here from the press and Congress if US military aircraft were found out to be hauling booze around! You would hear the sound in the UK without it being on the TV.

Don't forget, we're one of the very few countries that tried going totally (or almost totally) dry.  And look how *that* turned out
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

perttime

Quote from: scooter on March 09, 2022, 02:49:35 PM
Quote from: kerick on March 09, 2022, 02:34:33 PM

Don't forget, we're one of the very few countries that tried going totally (or almost totally) dry.  And look how *that* turned out
We did too.
It ended when the government monopoly stores opened on the 5th day of the 4th month in '32 at 10AM.

NARSES2

I knew Finland was one of the other countries to go down the Abolition path, but must admit I didn't realise it was that long ago. For some reason I thought it was in the 50's ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

perttime

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2022, 12:25:09 AM
I knew Finland was one of the other countries to go down the Abolition path, but must admit I didn't realise it was that long ago. For some reason I thought it was in the 50's ?
It was 1919 to 1932: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition#Nordic_countries

Since then, there has been a government monopoly on the sale of alcoholic drinks. Restaurants and such are excepted (with licence), and things like beer can be bought from grocery shops now.

Pellson

Quote from: perttime on March 10, 2022, 02:40:13 AM

Since then, there has been a government monopoly on the sale of alcoholic drinks. Restaurants and such are excepted (with licence), and things like beer can be bought from grocery shops now.

Us too, at about the same period, I believe (can't be arsed to look it up). However, there was a LOT of booze running with speed boats from ships lying just off the territorial border, and there's still an underwater rock named "booze reef" not far from our cottage where the smugglers dumped their stuff when being approached by law enforcement. Once searched by the customs, the smugglers could return and pick their goods up for resale. That rock is shaped a bit like a bathtub, see, with a shallow bowl in the middle where the booze sat fine in the meantime.

On the original topic - living east of the home of Swedish AEW and ELINT, there's overflights on a daily basis by both types. In addition to that, I have a feeling that fighter patrols have increased, and the RSwAF now fly with armed missiles on the rails. Normally, they only would have flown with loaded cannon. It is a significant change.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

scooter

Quote from: Pellson on March 10, 2022, 06:15:07 AM
Quote from: perttime on March 10, 2022, 02:40:13 AM

Us too, at about the same period, I believe (can't be arsed to look it up). However, there was a LOT of booze running with speed boats from ships lying just off the territorial border, and there's still an underwater rock named "booze reef" not far from our cottage where the smugglers dumped their stuff when being approached by law enforcement. Once searched by the customs, the smugglers could return and pick their goods up for resale. That rock is shaped a bit like a bathtub, see, with a shallow bowl in the middle where the booze sat fine in the meantime.
Perfect for the current GB.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx