Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitnut617

Quote from: perttime on March 10, 2022, 02:40:13 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on March 10, 2022, 12:25:09 AM
I knew Finland was one of the other countries to go down the Abolition path, but must admit I didn't realise it was that long ago. For some reason I thought it was in the 50's ?
It was 1919 to 1932: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition#Nordic_countries

Since then, there has been a government monopoly on the sale of alcoholic drinks. Restaurants and such are excepted (with licence), and things like beer can be bought from grocery shops now.

When I first came to Alberta (and Canada) in 1980, the liquor stores were all run by the province, restaurants could serve liquor if they had been approved and had a license to do it.  But what really gob-smacked me was when me and mrs kitnut went to a bar the first time, we had to sit at a table and only get our drinks from the waitress. One time we saw some friends at another table so we went to join them and soon had a waitress come rushing over to tell us we couldn't do that, rather that was we couldn't carry our drinks with us, we had to get the waitress to do that   :o
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Rheged

All the pubs in Carlisle and Gretna were government owned from 1916 to 1973.  https://thestatemanagementstory.org/  State beer was actually very good, and cheap  ( 1/11d or 10p a pint), in the late 1960's and 1970's.  It's a fascinating story, and I can get very boring about it if anyone wishes........I used to teach local history to adults.......in fact that's how I met the lady who is now Madame R.  (I married my first really intelligent student ) 
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

Rheged

Quote from: JayBee on March 10, 2022, 11:34:25 AM
OMG 5-6P a pint, ouch!

......and very good beer too!  Bill Monk, the last State Management head brewer was exceptionally talented  (and his wife was a great friend of my mum)
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Flyer

Today over my house a Mooney, a Mooney, another Mooney, yet another Mooney and on and on that goes... There are at least 15 of them here at the moment and likely to be more on their way as the Mooney Aircraft owner's Association of Australia are having their AGM at the local airport, so for the next 4 day's or so the sky here will be busy with aircraft that look like they were assembled backwards.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Flyer

Oh and yesterday as I was getting into the car a RAAF P-3C flew directly overhead after a mock approach. Have not seen a RAAF P-3 for a long time, I thought they had been replaced by the P-8.

Old Wombat

QuoteThe AP-3C Orion is in the process of a graduated draw down to retirement, with the final aircraft planned for withdrawal in 2023. The AP-3C will be replaced by the P-8A Poseidon and MQ-4C Triton, which will perform the vital functions of long range maritime patrol.
https://www.airforce.gov.au/technology/aircraft/intelligence-surveillance-and-reconnaissance/ap-3c-orion
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Flyer

kitnut617

I was just outside enjoying the sun when I heard a lot of 'honking' --- as in geese speak.   looked up in the direction the sound was coming from and there they were, Canada Geese--- hundreds of them in v-formations, line astern formations, all heading roughly north and travelling directly over our property.  Spring is here, or almost here ---
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

reddfoxx

Quick visit to the USAF museum at Wright-Patt this weekend.  There are often interesting aircraft in the pattern (all the usual USAF stuff, plus Navy stuff, even once an A-6.)  I saw a C-17 taking off, through a break in the trees, and panned towards where I expected him to get higher.  Nothing.  He had cranked it around and went right over me, pretty low, and went on to do a few touch and goes.  No pictures because I was driving, but it was impressive.

JayBee

Here in Prestwick it is a beautiful sunny day with nothing in the sky apart from a Spitfire. It is LF16e G-PBIX, the one that is currently flying around in USAAC markings.
Arrived here yesterday.

Utterly gorgeous to see.
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

frank2056

It's the LA Marathon today and I live a block from Santa Monica Blvd. and about 3/4 mile from the finish line. There have been many helicopters hovering overhead since early this morning... it's over now, thankfully.

scooter

It may have been drill weekend this weekend for the 177th.  I've been hearing NJANG Yawn Dart drivers going off to play Tom Cruise.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

perttime

A C-130 just flew over me. They aren't exactly common visitors here.
Flightradar says it was Canadian and coming from Prestwick.

Edit:
I heard that it later went to Rzeszów-Jasionka in Poland, which is a center for sending military aid to Ukraine.

Dizzyfugu

Not an aircraft over my house/home, but...

A perfect double rainbow!
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Lasted only for two minutes, but light, weather and perspective were perfect - with enough contrast to make the second, weaker halo rainbow visible, too! :D