Main Menu

Seen Over Your House Today

Started by Spey_Phantom, July 04, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 28, 2022, 02:21:38 AM11 June 1944:

Quote from: HMS WARSPITE ASSOCIATION.... Warspite was off Gold Beach, where British troops had gone ashore. This time the battleship helped save the 50th Division from a formidable counter-attack by destroying German troops and tanks assembling for the assault in a wood.  The order given by Captain Kelsey for this impressive firepower display was: "Fifty rounds 15-inch rapid fire."

Extract adapted from 'Warspite' by Iain Ballantyne
http://iainballantyne.com/warspite-100/ship-history/warspitedday/

Also mentioned in the closing minutes of Drach's discussion on Operation Neptune in this week's Rum Ration.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Quote from: scooter on August 28, 2022, 05:56:05 AM
Quote from: Old Wombat on August 28, 2022, 02:21:38 AM11 June 1944:

Quote from: HMS WARSPITE ASSOCIATION.... Warspite was off Gold Beach, where British troops had gone ashore. This time the battleship helped save the 50th Division from a formidable counter-attack by destroying German troops and tanks assembling for the assault in a wood.  The order given by Captain Kelsey for this impressive firepower display was: "Fifty rounds 15-inch rapid fire."

Extract adapted from 'Warspite' by Iain Ballantyne
http://iainballantyne.com/warspite-100/ship-history/warspitedday/

Also mentioned in the closing minutes of Drach's discussion on Operation Neptune in this week's Rum Ration.

Yes, which was why I went hunting it up; far too awesome a quote not to! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Mossie

A 3 flight of CL-415s, silhouetted by a beautiful sunset.  I'm on holiday in Croatia, they were flying in the Adriatic between Split & Brač Island.

Chuffed to bits with the spot, just a shame they were too distant and it was too dark for a photo.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Nick

Quote from: Mossie on August 29, 2022, 11:01:25 AMA 3 flight of CL-415s, silhouetted by a beautiful sunset.  I'm on holiday in Croatia, they were flying in the Adriatic between Split & Brač Island.

Chuffed to bits with the spot, just a shame they were too distant and it was too dark for a photo.

I had a great time in Split 10 years ago. The Roman town is incredible but best explored when the cruise ships aren't in or you might get trapped in a narrow alley for the day!
We had a really good steak dinner in a top floor restaurant on Bacvice beach and watched a storm roll in towards us over Brac Island one evening, at one point lightning struck and the island blacked out. Then the downpour hit us!

Mossie

Had a great time visiting Split, seeing the palace and spotting several Game of Thrones locations. Couldn't avoid the Cruise ships unfortunately, it was packed!  We saw the storms the other way from Brač, in the mountains on the mainland, quite some pyrotechnics.  On our way home as I write, on the ferry to Split.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Rheged

Cruise ships can certainly alter the dynamics of a city.  Kirkwall in Orkney has its population more or less double when a big ship is in, and when TWO  arrive at once, human traffic jams happen in the main streets and at the "sights"  that everyone thinks they must see.

I was told by an Orcadian café owner that  the influx doesn't even make a huge difference to shop profits.   One ship quoted as an example supplied packed lunches to all those landing and since a high proportion of those cruising flew to start their holiday, only very small, light souvenirs were bought.  Even Ortak, who make  Orkney silver jewellery,  reckoned that sales were no higher on cruise ship days  (Ortak stuff is magnificent; Madame R has some........slightly more than I could really afford!)  The only people who make any real money are  the coach owners, moving mainly elderly and/or obese tourists from quayside to "sights" and back to quayside again

Sorry, I've introduced thread drift again!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Ah, the floating petri dishes.

It's the younger and less obese cruisers which are the liabilities round here.
They dock in Melbourne and then hire cars to "do the Peninsula".  They have no idea about driving on our roads and i've nearly been taken out by them a number of times.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

I've been on a fair few cruises and I must admit I do know what you are talking about  :angel:  The best ones in my experience are those where you spend longer at sea than on land  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

My Sister-in Law loves cruising.
I'd hate to be trapped on a ship with her.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

A strange droning overhead today, followed by much neck straining on my part to see the blasted thing.

Lo and behold, it was a Cessna 208 Caravan, and I've never seen one before, not even when I was in the US. I've flown them for hours on Flight Sim of course, they were a default aeroplane in one FS version.

Noisy things they are for real!

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 31, 2022, 05:26:30 AMMy Sister-in Law loves cruising.
I'd hate to be trapped on a ship with her.

;D

I've met some interesting ladies on cruises  :angel:  Best one I ever did ? Probably Tahiti to Sydney, although the East African coast/Indian Ocean was good because it was on a small (100 passengers) ship  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 31, 2022, 06:18:10 AMI've met some interesting ladies on cruises  :angel: 

Almost too much information.  ;D  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 31, 2022, 08:01:58 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 31, 2022, 06:18:10 AMI've met some interesting ladies on cruises  :angel: 

Almost too much information.  ;D  ;D

Reminds me of ladies at weddings or office parties ----  :o  they get really brazen with it too, mrs kitnut be damned
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kerick

I've had a couple start telling me how divorced they are. I shut that down by saying how my wife and I are so fortunate to have never gone through that.....
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

PR19_Kit

Are there degrees of being divorced?

Having done it once it seemed a very black and white process, one minute you are married, the next divorced!

Regards
Kit