How About A Spicy Italian...airplane?

Started by matrixone, July 07, 2007, 06:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matrixone

Proof that I have built a model without German crosses. :D

This is the Classic Airframes 1/48 scale kit of the Fiat G 55 I built for a customer a few years ago before I joined this site.

Matrixone

Sisko

Nice one Matrix bloody top job!! :wub:  :thumbsup:  
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

matrixone

Thank you sir!

That was not an easy to build kit but turned out O.K., I like the looks of some of the Italian fighters and am surprised there are not more of them being built by modellers, the camouflage patterns are as interesting as the 109s and 190s.

Matrixone

John Howling Mouse

Whoa, really had to do a double-take on that last photo-----I think that dynamically posed figure definitely infuses the image with a sense of realism.

Good job!  Have you ever built (clenching jaw)....an American subject?
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

elmayerle

Gorgeous!!  You really have to look hard to tell that last picture isn't of the real thing.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Rafael

See? Spaghetti modeling!!!
Sorry-couldn't help it. :rolleyes:

Beautiful, realist model, Matrixone!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

Those black & white shots look like they came straight from the annals of the R.S.I. Air Force! Excellent work Matrixone! Those Italian planes sure do have a wonderful look to them and some very cool camo schemes!

Brian da Basher

cthulhu77

Fantastico Magnifico !  As always, another great build.

nev

Wow, you really should do more of this non-German stuff  :bow:

Gotta love those Italian fighters - sleek yet pugnacious B)
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

matrixone

Thanks for the comments guys!

JHM,
I have not built any American subjects for many years, the airplanes themselves are cool looking enough but they don't have many choices in the camo schemes, its either OD over gray or NMF so they don't interest me as much as some of the Axis stuff.

nev,
Just the other day I picked up one of those 21st Century Macchi Mc 202 kits, it looks like a very nice kit and I do plan to build it this year, I look forward to painting the ''smoke ring'' camouflage pattern.
Last year I bought the Classic Publications book on the ANR camo & markings and there are many cool camouflage schemes in it that I want to try and do, plus last Friday I ordered some Sky decal sheets that cover ANR markings, so I will be building a few Italian subjects over the next year. :)

Matrixone

Rafael

But, being in whiff-world, I think we could take the "poetic license" to paint whatever camo scheme we want on our subjects.

Funny you mention it, Matrixone. Just the other day, I was mulling over why not make something like your "Project X" in wonderfully splotchy-looking German WWII camo. They're awesome.

I will make me one one of this days...

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

matrixone

Rafa,

The Italian camouflage patterns of WWII are cool as they are, little need to whiff them, I seem to end up building half real world and half whiff models.
I will likely be making ANR models of the Fw 190D-9, Me 262, and Do 335B-2 sometime next year. John Baxters next book TAL Vol.3 will deal with the MTO and I hope he will want to include more of my work in it.

My Project X seemed to be very popular, I got mostly positive E-Mails about it, good luck with yours and look forward to see what you come up with!

Matrixone

GTX

QuoteJohn Baxters next book TAL Vol.3

Whoa - what's this about a Vol. 3??!!!  Might have to send John an e-mail.

BTW, love the pictures - your work is superb as usual.

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

matrixone

Greg,
Vol.3 of TAL won't be finished until late 2009...sorry to get your hopes up. :(

Matrixone

ysi_maniac

Beautiful combination of German/Italian camo. Just so cool
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.