How About A Spicy Italian...airplane?

Started by matrixone, July 07, 2007, 06:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nev

QuoteI look forward to painting the ''smoke ring'' camouflage pattern.
If you don't fancy painting them, Mike Grant Decals do a set of smoke ring decals
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

lancer

If you don't fancy painting them, Mike Grant Decals do a set of smoke ring decals
Is he doing them in 72nd now or is it just 48th??
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

matrixone

Thanks ysi maniac!

My next Italian warbird will be the Macchi C202 from the 21st Century kit, it has very few parts but will build up into an impressive model anyway, I am reading my ''ANR Camouflage & Markings'' book again to study up on how I can effectively paint my model to look like the real thing.

Matrixone

matrixone

nev,
I have painted the smoke ring camo before with my airbrush on a couple 1/48 scale models before without too much trouble, but in 1/72 scale the decals might be the best way to go!

Matrixone

dragon

One of the guys in my local IPMS built a 1/48 Ki-64 Hien and painted it in Italian markings complete with smoke rings.  It was his idea of a joke- very obscure punchline unless you know the story of the aircraft type in question.  Because of the aircraft's looks versus the other Japanese aircraft, the US thought it was either a license built Me-109 or an italian design.  Reportedly it is said that for this reason the plane was nicknamed "TONY".  Since many Italian-American men are named Tony...Well, you get the thought process.

It looked pretty good. B)  
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

elmayerle

QuoteOne of the guys in my local IPMS built a 1/48 Ki-64 Hien and painted it in Italian markings complete with smoke rings.  It was his idea of a joke- very obscure punchline unless you know the story of the aircraft type in question.  Because of the aircraft's looks versus the other Japanese aircraft, the US thought it was either a license built Me-109 or an italian design.  Reportedly it is said that for this reason the plane was nicknamed "TONY".  Since many Italian-American men are named Tony...Well, you get the thought process.
*snicker* *guffaw* I like that guy's sense of humor.  A Ki-61 would indeed look right at home in those markings.  
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

matrixone

Here is a model I painted in the ''smoke ring'' camouflage, the 1/48 sale Hasegawa Macchi C 205.
The smoke ring decals are not needed in this scale.

In 1/32 scale it should even be easier to paint.

Matrixone

Brian da Basher

Yowsa you really nailed it there, Matrixone!!! Perfecto!!!!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Rafael

That last one is really Perfecto, as Brian said!!!
It impresses me, poor photographer that I am, the lighting, the perspective, the scenery, the posing of the subjects to take advantage of all that is happening in there at the moment of triggering the shutter.....Inspirational work, indeed!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

matrixone

Thanks once again Brian and Rafa!

That Hasegawa kit is terrific and the only thing to bitch about is the decals, notice how the areas in the markings that should be white are more of an off-white. This is something I notice in a lot of Hasegawa kits, too bad they can't fix that problem.

In a day or so I will post pictures of the 21st Century Macchi C 202 kit and some of the kits contents, the Macchi kit is actually better than their 109 kit and I look forward to building and painting it but it will be very strange (for me) to not put crosses on it! :lol:

Matrixone

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

GTX

QuoteQUOTE (dragon @ Jul 9 2007, 09:23 PM)
One of the guys in my local IPMS built a 1/48 Ki-64 Hien and painted it in Italian markings complete with smoke rings. It was his idea of a joke- very obscure punchline unless you know the story of the aircraft type in question. Because of the aircraft's looks versus the other Japanese aircraft, the US thought it was either a license built Me-109 or an italian design. Reportedly it is said that for this reason the plane was nicknamed "TONY". Since many Italian-American men are named Tony...Well, you get the thought process.

*snicker* *guffaw* I like that guy's sense of humor. A Ki-61 would indeed look right at home in those markings.

I'd love to see a pic of that!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

NARSES2

QuoteJohn Baxters next book TAL Vol.3 will deal with the MTO and I hope he will want to include more of my work in it.

So do I - stunning stuff and I just love Italian aircraft and colour schemes

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

NARSES2

Is he doing them in 72nd now or is it just 48th??
I got a couple of sheets in 1/72 from him Lance + some of his 1/72 instrument dials - excllent value and great service

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.