Main Menu

Sr.177

Started by Hobbes, July 12, 2007, 10:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Why build the excellent Freightdog kit when you can build the old Maintrack vacform instead?  :dum:

Don't like the wheel wells, so I'll remove them and build new ones:

Front is missing the (vertical) intake splitter:

The rear end has rounded edges that should have been sharp:

Still, I'm enjoying the engineering challenge. I'll think twice before starting on another kit that needs this much work, though...

ysi_maniac

So far looks very nice. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Martin H

nice job there harro.

looks like your a glutton for punishment building that beast of a kit.........been there-done that ect ect ect :D  
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

Hobbes

Studied the drawings again, and noticed that my earlier idea was off a bit:

The area around the rocket exhaust also needs changing, but I don't know yet which drawing is correct...

anthonyp

Looking good, Hobbes.  Vac-form kits still intimidate me.
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Hobbes

The vacform itself wasn't as difficult as I expected. I built the airframe in a few days. You just need to spend a bit more time test fitting than with an injection-moulded kit.

It's the modifications and added detail that complicate things.  

Supertom

How the heck did you do that?!   :blink:  
"We can resolve this over tea and fisticuffs!!!"

Hobbes

The last pic, you mean? That's a section of styrene tube I cut into four parts (giving me 90-degree arcs). File them down a bit, and they fit the existing structure.  

Hobbes

Changing the rear end so the rocket exhaust is flush with the body:

Hobbes

The model is almost finished. Unveiling will be at Telford, but here's one last preview:

Hobbes

:dum: I just realised I never posted pics of the finished model. My excuse was that I still haven't found decals to create the serial numbers, etc. But I've decided to declare victory and move on, so here it is:

In the late 1950s, the Royal Netherlands Airforce (KLu) went looking for a new high-performance interceptor to replace the Hunters and Thunderstreaks. These subsonic aircraft were seen as inadequate to counter Soviet high-speed bombers in a surprise attack.
The KLu shortlist consisted of these types:
- F-104 Starfighter
- Dassault Mirage III
- Northrop N156F Freedom Fighter
- Republic F-105 Thunderchief
- F-106 Delta Dart
- Saunders-Roe SR. 177

The SR. 177 was a bit of an outsider. Talks between Saunders-Roe and the German government were nearly torpedoed by the British government, until the German delegation pointed out they wanted the SR. 177 or they'd take their money to the Americans. That, and an offer to have MBB help out developing the balky rocket engine, turned out to be sufficient to get the ball rolling in earnest. The first prototypes flew in 1959, and production started in 1961.

The Dutch and German air forces soon realised their requirements were similar, and they organised a joint fly-off competition. The Starfighter was the first to go, when government officials publicised attempted bribes by Lockheed. In the end, they settled on the SR 177, mainly because its rocket engine meant it was the fastest by far to get to station in a QRA scenario.
The KLu ended up buying 3 squadrons' worth for the interception role. They also noted the N156F would be well suited for the attack role.

ysi_maniac

High quality modelling indeed.
:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
:wacko: I love bad models too :wacko: ;D
Will die without understanding this world.

kitnut617

Nice job.  :thumbsup:

Coincidently, I've been re-reading my "Project Cancelled" book again and last night just read the chapter on the SR.53 & SR.177.  What a missed opportunity.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

van883

Good effort-I have an ever growing pile of unbuilt vac forms that frighten me!

Van

Brian da Basher

That's just killer, Harro!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher