General Dynamics Fv-13a

Started by Archibald, July 13, 2007, 04:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

For the first time I've used "primer" for my model (thanks to this forum I'm progressing at each model I build now  :cheers: )

More pics to come soon...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Couldn't resist doing this pic...
I'll have to buy  Anigrand Yak-41 and XVF-12 kits in the future...  ;)

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Rafael

VTOL Fleet, YUM!!! :wub:
:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Archibald

Got Harrier three main variants, X-32, X-35, and Forger. Aside Anigrands models (a long haul, they are costly and I have no experience in resin kits nor vacform canopies) I would like to build a tailed operational F-32, a P.1216 (I know Martin H has some), a P.1154... this would be the ultimate collection of 1/72 scale V/STOL!!
I'm also interested by the third JSF competitor, the Douglas / Bae entry  :wub:

BlackOps

Archi, something tells me you've got a very short runway!  :lol:  Great collection of vtol's.
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

elmayerle

QuoteGot Harrier three main variants, X-32, X-35, and Forger. Aside Anigrands models (a long haul, they are costly and I have no experience in resin kits nor vacform canopies) I would like to build a tailed operational F-32, a P.1216 (I know Martin H has some), a P.1154... this would be the ultimate collection of 1/72 scale V/STOL!!
I'm also interested by the third JSF competitor, the Douglas / Bae entry  :wub:
Hmm, I'm almost tempted to suggest doing the McDD/NGC/BAE proposal as it should've been once they found the gas-coupled lift fan didn't work. Instead of going for a separate life engine, and violating the terms of the competition, they should have used a shaft-driven lift fan like Lockheed did.  The take I've gotten from the aerodynamics folk at Ft. Worth is that they fully expected the McDD-led team to be their competition and they considered them to be quite worthy competition.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Rafael

Another piece of the puzzle, Evan!! :thumbsup: I always wondered why they didn't go with Lockheed's approach. I considered it a nonstarter from the beginning, because of the jet-lift. By that time I couldn't accommodate the idea of a modern fighter recurring to such a "brute force" solution. But one advantage the team built into the concept was the possibility of the plane to RTB limping on thrust from the lift jets. Am I correct?

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

elmayerle

I don't kow for certain, but I rather doubt it, the lift engine would, IMHO, be unlikely to be able to turn it's thrust sufficiently to allow a limping RTB.  In addition, without the main engine for power, I'm not sure how long any emergency power system could keep the FBW flight controls powered up.

Archibald

QuoteGot Harrier three main variants, X-32, X-35, and Forger. Aside Anigrands models (a long haul, they are costly and I have no experience in resin kits nor vacform canopies) I would like to build a tailed operational F-32, a P.1216 (I know Martin H has some), a P.1154... this would be the ultimate collection of 1/72 scale V/STOL!!
I'm also interested by the third JSF competitor, the Douglas / Bae entry  :wub:
Hmm, I'm almost tempted to suggest doing the McDD/NGC/BAE proposal as it should've been once they found the gas-coupled lift fan didn't work. Instead of going for a separate life engine, and violating the terms of the competition, they should have used a shaft-driven lift fan like Lockheed did.  The take I've gotten from the aerodynamics folk at Ft. Worth is that they fully expected the McDD-led team to be their competition and they considered them to be quite worthy competition.
The JSF competition didn't allowed lift-jts to be used ?  :unsure:  

elmayerle

I'm also interested by the third JSF competitor, the Douglas / Bae entry  :wub:
The JSF competition didn't allowed lift-jts to be used ?
The rules of the JSF competition were one, and only one, engine for all variants, including the vstol or stovl one.  By going to a separate lift engine, McDD violated the rules of the competition.

Archibald

This was a clever rule to say the least. There's now more refined solutions than using hot lift -jets...

I filled some gaps around the canopy.

Brian da Basher

I like it Archie! Especially the "forward lean" of the cockpit! That feature makes it look built for speed.

Brian da Basher

Archibald

Well I planned to paint this thing in Italian AV-8B "colors" ('cause I had a sheet left by a TAV-8B ) but...  italian Harriers are GREY (boring, disgusting grey  :wacko: )

So I've changed my mind and decided to do it as a USN machine, a bit like the best-known picture of the project (from Secret projects)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/inde...ach=18077;image

Archibald

I've painted liftjets fans... these are M53 compressors (well, the interior ring)

Frontal view...

Archibald

Topside is now painted light grey, and underside white. But the decals are shiny
VA-87 Golden Warriors from Heller Corsair II.

According to Wikipedia, Golden Warriors were created in 1968. They flew A-7B until 1975, A-7E, F-18A in 1986 and F-18C since 1993. They became VFA-87 when they transitioned to F-18.

In my ATL they transitioned to the FV-13A in 1981.

In USMC service, the FV-13A replace both AV-8B and F-18.
V/STOL, AIM-7 and mach 2 speed in the same aircraft.  

Worried by withdrawal of the Essex carrier (due to their age, and fact that they lost their Crusaders supersonic interceptors, leaving Skyhawks for air defense  :wacko: ) the USN decided in favor of SCS.
BUT these ships are closely based on Tarawa hulls, thus diminishing their cost.
This avoid the sacrifice of one of precious Nimitz carriers... Nimitz, Vinson and Einsenhower carriers are build as in OTL, in paralel with Tarawas. Then, starting in 1981, four more Tarawa hulls are build as SSCS (Super Sea Control Ship).

A SSCS is a 41 000 ton carrier, without catapult nor arrestor wires.
Don't know if it would need an angled flight deck or not ?  :unsure:  
It carry up to 30 V/STOL aircrafts, first AV-8A then FV-13A.
Hmm there could be a dispute between USN and USMC for property of these SSCS...

More pics!