General Dynamics Fv-13a

Started by Archibald, July 13, 2007, 04:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

Wow that's coming together great, Archie! You've done a superb job of blending in the fuselage with the wings. I think those markings are going to really look smashing on it!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Archibald

I've started decal works on this one.
Even better, I've discovered that our Productive Comrade had already imagined 2 years ago carriers for FV-13A operations (he called them Defiant and Zumwalt class, and even forged a designation, CVH. Sounds perfect to me...  :cheers: )

More pics to come...

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

Voila! It is now complete!

Here's some pics  :party:  

Sunset shot   :D

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

ysi_maniac

Hey, decaling makes the difference
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:
Now, you will blur the pic, and publish in another furum ... :ph34r:  :ph34r:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Rafael

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Rafa
Words later-when I find them
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Brian da Basher

Those decals really bring this project toi life! Good show, Archie!

Brian da Basher

BlackOps

Archi, it looks great! I also like the silhouette shot :)
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

Joe C-P

In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

Archibald

Thanks for all the sheer comments!
Yeah, lot of fun with the silhouette shot. I put the model onto a barrier (a narrow barrier, at first floor...  fortunately the model didn't fall... ) and took a shot with the sky behind it. It worked well!

More shots to come...

Side view

Underside (with lift jets exhausts)

Top view

More pics to come, FV-13A along some real-world aircraft models  :cheers:

Archibald

"comparative" shots  

An old Essex carrier with a wooden flight deck was used to compare the FV-13A to other naval aircrafts...  ;)

Along  Italeri X-35
(Who bought General Dynamics aviation in 1989... wasn't it Lockheed ? Both designs share a similar three-bearing nozzle)

Along a Harrier GR.5 (which barely gave its canopy)

Hornet (had the General Dynamics 200 been built and ordered, USN and USMC orders for the F-18 would have shrinked or even vanished)

and Forger!

Howard of Effingham

hmm, in the last few days i have seen the artist's impression of the 'FV-13A' and
i think archie has done a grand job of it. it seems that this project may have lost
out to the XFV-12 and we know what a bit of a disaster that a/c was.

trevor  
Keeper of George the Cat.

Archibald

Quotehmm, in the last few days i have seen the artist's impression of the 'FV-13A' and
i think archie has done a grand job of it. it seems that this project may have lost
out to the XFV-12 and we know what a bit of a disaster that a/c was.

trevor
Yes it had lost against the XVF-12, but it's bit more than a losing project.

In fact an USN bureau  funded this General Dynamics project for two years (1972-1974) as an insurance against a XFV-12 failure! Nothing was built alas...
Rockwell failure happened in the end, but General Dynamics had no benefits of it, because in 1977 the SCS program was long gone, and interest for supersonic V/STOL with it... this, until the JAST 15 years later  ;)  But they didn't want lift-jets

Maybe I should post some pics of my model at "the whatif and oddball model page" ? (Telford V/STOL GB...)

anthonyp

That turned out pretty good, Archie!   :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Eddie M.

Once again, I commend you on your creativity. Looks good! B)
   Eddie  
Look behind you!

elmayerle

Gorgeous piece of work, Archie.

I've always felt that if the USN had been serious about vstol fighters, they'd have gone for an AV-16 variant for the immediate future and committed R&D funding to explore other, less established, concepts.  Instead, they bet it all on the riskiest approach with no fall-back.  I can't help wondering if the XFV-12A's failure was used to help justify killing the SCS.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin