1/72 HA-13 Burro

Started by Brian da Basher, July 15, 2007, 11:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian da Basher

After W.W. I, Anthony Fokker continued working with cantilever wing structures he developed during the war. In 1928, he began design work on project F-19, a cantilever monoplane fighter he hoped would be a new generation of fighter aircraft. Unfortunately, the Great Depression undermined his efforts, and he went to Spain in late 1930 to vacation and forget his troubles and the worldwide economic slump.

Mr. Fokker could not forget business and decided to shop his deisgn around. The Hispano conglomerate was very interested in his work, and bought a license to produce the new type, deciding to use their own 12 cylinder "Cuccaracha" engine. The new fighter, designated HA-13 impressed the Spanish Air Force during trials and orders were placed with two squadrons of the type entering front-line service in 1932.

By the time the Civil War broke out in 1936, only one squadron of HA-13s were remaining, having been re-assigned to the ground attack role, armed with two 9 m.m. machine guns and able to carry 500 lbs. of bombs. Their sturdiness earned them the nickname Burro from their pilots and groundcrew.

In August of 1936, Nationalist forces led by Colonel Yagüe were on the march towards the town of Badajoz on the Portugese border. If the Nationalists were able to take the town, this would unite their two fronts and close off the Portugese border to the Republicans.

The squadron of Burros flew countless sorties between August 10th and 14th, completely decimating the Nationalist columns and forcing them to eventually retreat, resulting in a Republican victory. With Nationalist forces divided, rebel General Mola eventually sought an Armistice in early February, 1937.

HA-13 coded L-54 was celebrated for helping to save the Spanish Republic and is now on display in El museo de la Industria y la Tecnología in Madrid.

1st of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

The base kit for this little project was the 1/72 RoG Fokker D.VII which I picked up recently for the princely sum of $5. The D.VII is a sweet little kit ripe for whiffing. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this one until I started trading parts with a 1/72 Subaru Aero Coupe Zac sent me a while back. The wings and horizontal stabs. could be swapped out easily and I decided to save the D.VII rudder for the Aero Coupe and scratch  a new rudder from spare parts.

2nd of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I kept looking for ways to change this a little so it didn't look like a D.VII. I decided to make a headrest fairing from a quarter of a drop tank and then I decided to add some underwing bombs and turn this into a ground attack bird. Here's a shot of the underside that shows off those bombs.

3rd of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

I kept looking for more ways to change the appearance of this aircraft. I decided to file down the top of the nose and use the engine from a Douglas World Cruiser instead of the kit engine. However, the top of the kit engine was a natural fit for this so I cut off the exhaust and glued it in place. I also fashioned a prop spinner by filing down a piece of sprue to a point. Here's an overhead shot.

4th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Of course, I'd decided that this bird would need spats! I scratched those out of sheet styrene and cut one of the kit wheels in half. I noticed a tail wheel was necessary, so I found a disc from the end of a prop shaft and glued it on the tail skid. Here's another side-view that shows off the tail wheel and the spats.

5th of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Brian da Basher

Lastly, I had to consider color and markings options. I picked up a bottle of Polly Scale "Italian Green" and wanted to try it out. I decided that the metal portions of this aircraft should be a slightly different color (my time as a member of the Aerodrome forum has left its mark) and painted the metal nose and spats Polly Scale Light Olive. I was originally going to use early Russian stars for this but couldn't find enough in my decal stash. I decided Spanish Republican markings were just the thing! I used Polly Scale Red for the fuse and wing bands and Polly Scale Red, Yellow and a mixture of Polly Scale Red and Blue for the red, yellow and purple rudder stripes. I love Spanish Republican markings as they're very simple and there were such diverse types of aircraft used in that conflict that almost anything goes. I  researched the codes and discovered "L" was used for light bombers (there was no designation for ground attack, the "A" for Assaulto code only being used on one aircraft). I had a lot of fun with this build and I hope you enjoy the pics. Hotte, it seems you and I are on a Spanish wavelength!

Last of 6 pics.

Brian da Basher

Sisko

I like it!!!  :thumbsup:

Man your work rate must be up around Anthony's! Keep em comin.
Get this Cheese to sick bay!

Rafael

Anda, Burrito!!!! :thumbsup:

That's a beautiful build, Brian!!!

Rafa

Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Eddie M.

I really like your work with these early propeller types. Outstanding vision and execution. B)  :salute:
  Eddie  
Look behind you!

frank2056

That's great, Brian! I have a couple of the RoG D.VII for wiffing. They're just great little kits with a lot of potential.

I love the rudder! And the spats, of course.

Frank

Radish

Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Allan

Wonderful modelling Brian!!!
There's something about a DVII that looks so great whatever incarnation you choose.
If that bird of your's didn't reallly fly, then it damn well should have!!
I like it immensely.
Allan in Canberra

ysi_maniac

^^^^   I agree

BTW: A wonderful Republican plane. Brian, you did it again.
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Chap

Great work Brian! :thumbsup: It reminds me of the Avia BH 3.

~Steve

cthulhu77

I love that sucker!  It would have been a b* to pilot, but what a lot of fun!