Dassault/tnai Mirage F.1atx Plus

Started by Bryan H., July 17, 2007, 01:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan H.

Here's something I've been working on this summer...  

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

After getting to this point, I'm worried that the undersides might be too busy with too many aerodynamic disruptions.  What do you think?

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

chadders

Looks OK to me mate  :cheers: .
  I mean, look at all the stuff that planes have stuffed under them nowadays.....any aerodynamic FUBAR's are easily sorted out by the on board computers  ;)
   What you've done is great, enjoy what you've created so far, its cool. Well thats what I thing anyway   :bow:
Mark
"What if" baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brian da Basher

It looks great, Bryan! What kind of camo scheme and markings are you considering?

In my book, you can never have too much of a load-out or too many "greeblies".

Brian da Basher

Archibald

Is it just me, or do you apply Kfir treatment (= long dropped nose+ small intake on the fin)  to a Mirage F1 ? Do you plan a J-79 engine ?
The underside sounds ok for me, maybe you can get ride of the ventral fins ?

:cheers:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Bryan H.

QuoteIs it just me, or do you apply Kfir treatment (= long dropped nose+ small intake on the fin) to a Mirage F1 ? Do you plan a J-79 engine ?
The underside sounds ok for me, maybe you can get ride of the ventral fins ?

Nope, it's not just you, it did just get the 'Kfir' treatment.  Look at the engine again.  I've replaced the Atar with my best attempt at a PW1120 (aka part of a 1/72 F100 with an adapter ring - per Evan's suggestion).

:cheers: Bryan

My son & daughter.

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

gooberliberation

you might be able to clean up the front thingamajiggy by putting some sort of fairing behind it, like the tip off a drop tank half?
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

Rafael

You have a winner there!!!

The "Kfir Treatment™" should have been a must for this family of aircraft, if not for their usefulness or realistc apliccation, then for its coolness :thumbsup:  :salute:

I think the undersides are not cluttered. There's only the E/O ball under the nose that should be, as Goober noted before, more "streamlined" into the shape. I think that's a nice-to-have in every multirole fighter. You could go for a semi-recessed ball turret, or a faired-over device.

Great concept!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Damian2

She's looking good Bryan! I'm going to "Kfir" an Esci Mirage III with a modern PW engine etc etc...when I finish all my other projects!! :P

Actually thinking about it that wouldn't be a bad idea for my JSDF GB!!!!
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

PolluxDeltaSeven

I think the undersides are not cluttered. There's only the E/O ball under the nose that should be, as Goober noted before, more "streamlined" into the shape. I think that's a nice-to-have in every multirole fighter. You could go for a semi-recessed ball turret, or a faired-over device.

I agree with Rafa. A semi-recessed turret will be as efficient and will have far less drag than the one you build.

With the one you draw, evenif it is very cool, the plane will have great difficult to break Mach 1 actually.
A semi-recessed turret will only reduce the top speed by 100knt or something like that, nothing that could be compensated by the new engine.

The other possibility is to imagine a turret that is entirely recessed in the fuselage during the largest part of the flight but that exit from the fuselage during the subsonic track and attack phases.

That's just my 2 cents!!

But by the way, I really enjoy the "Kfirised" Mirage F1!! Such things could be cool on a Mirage 2000 too!! (Hope that's Overkiller's idea!! :P )
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

elmayerle

I'd definitely recess the EO ball some more and then fair it in with a longer fairing, think F-4E gun fairing.

I want to complement you on your PW1120 approach, mine is similar, yet different, as I intend to mate a 1/100 F100 nozzle to an appropriate ring for a 1/72 J79 (well, actually, I'm using the very bogus "Spey" nozzle from the ancient (1966) Revell F-4K kit).
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

Heck, I was right!  ;)  Well, if you guys Kfirise Mirage III and 2000, what left ? (aside prototypes ?) Mirage IV! A pair of J-79, this air intake at the base of the fin, a different nose... sh*t, I have to buy another Mirage IV now!  :lol:
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Bryan H.

QuoteI want to complement you on your PW1120 approach, mine is similar, yet different, as I intend to mate a 1/100 F100 nozzle to an appropriate ring for a 1/72 J79 (well, actually, I'm using the very bogus "Spey" nozzle from the ancient (1966) Revell F-4K kit).

Thanks Evan!  You gave me the idea originally.  An unused 1/72 F-16 made the donation.  :)

Is the E/O ball (on say a A-6E TRAM) retractable?  Do you think there would be enough room in my Super Mirage F.1A+ for this type of mechanism?  Would it have to fully retract or just partially (to reduce the drag & aerodynamic disruption)?  Or alternatively, if I recess the E/O ball more does it even need to be retractable - or put another way, how much of the E/O ball needs to be exposed to be able to guide (for example) a LGB without much loss in capability & range of movement?

QuoteIt looks great, Bryan! What kind of camo scheme and markings are you considering?

I think this Super Mirage will be part of a Texas Army Air Corps (TAAC) Territorial Garrison Air Wing based at Antananarivo AAF/IAP, Madagascar.  I think she'll have some sort of low-viz 'tropical' camo scheme.  Maybe, a mix of the last 'low-viz' camo used on the SAAF Mirage F.1AZ's & the USAF SEA scheme.      

After studying numerous alternatives, the Super Mirage upgrade program was approved by the Texas Dept. of War for low/moderate rate production.  Texas already had a manufacturing license and existing production lines & tooling for the Dassault Mirage available; these factors were a considerable plus in the Mirage's favor.  The Dassault/TNAI Super Mirage F.1ATx+ was developed as a (relatively) 'low-cost' multi-role attack fighter particularly use in a (as the low-end) of the 'low-med-high mix' in the TAAC and for colonial air garrisons/sovereignty enforcement roles.  TNAI is also developing Super Mirage F.1ETx+, Super Mirage F.1MTx & Super Mirage F.1BTx+ upgrade programs.    

Thanks &  :cheers:  Bryan

My son & daughter.

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

PolluxDeltaSeven

I enjoy the idea of the Texas Army Air Corps based in Madagascar!!

I flew over Madagascar several times, and if you want I could help you a little for the camo. Personnally, I don't think the "tropical" camo (I mean dark green, jungle colors etc...) is the best solution.
Most of times, Madagascar is more yellow and light brown than green. Due to its nature of island, Madagascar is often cover by light clouds in summer (Even if it's winter for them), and in winters there is plenty of big clouds, hurricanes etc...

For my part, I chose a mix of light green, sand and light grey in order to color my Madagascan F-18 Hornet: http://polluxdeltaseven.free.fr/Hornet%20M...r%20Preview.jpg

I chose light, pastel and low-viz colors.

I hesitate with some blue instead of the grey. It all depends if your aircraft is supposed to fly over the seas.

I hope my description of Madagascar view from the sky will help you!! ;)  
"laissez mes armées être les rochers et les arbres et les oiseaux dans le ciel"
-Charlemagne-

Coming Soon in Alternate History:
-Battlefleet Galactica
-Republic of Libertalia: a modern Pirate Story

Archibald

QuoteHeck, I was right!  ;)  Well, if you guys Kfirise Mirage III and 2000, what left ? (aside prototypes ?) Mirage IV! A pair of J-79, this air intake at the base of the fin, a different nose... sh*t, I have to buy another Mirage IV now!  :lol:
Rats! My cunning plan has been rumbled!

That's my idea, Israeli Mirage IV with J-79, Kfir style double delta, canards and reprofiled nose.

:cheers:

O.K.
Don't bother, do it!  :cheers:  It would be an interesting model, particularly carrying an Israeli atomic bomb...
Then you could re-engine it with PW1120  :wub:  add Israeli avionics...  

Rafael

I'd definately go with Evan's approach for the E/O Turret.

A semi-reccessed installation shaped much like the F-4 gun fairing with the ball up front should be a solution in itself. I mean, you don't have to bury the ball entirely into the fuselage and the ball plus fairing would be an aerodynamic shape. Think Lantirn E/O pod with the ball in front.

As to how much the ball should be out, it depends on the size of the fairing behind it, so the ball should be a little bit out of the fairing to allow tracking backwards to some degree, or completely flush with the fairing to allow for some 270 degrees angle to either side.

D*mn. Trying to explain something like that in english exhausted me!

Good luck, and I hope I made sense!! :lol:

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER