'Missing' TSR.2

Started by TsrJoe, October 28, 2003, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

hiyas Robert, the panel which would incorporate a sliding panel for the ventral strike camera shown open in the image posted differs from that on XR220 (the other airframe with intake mounted camera fairings) similar images of '220 taken during its time at Boscombe Down (and also as preserved at Cosford) show the panel not to have the sliding hatch wheras the image posted has the sliding portion fitted, as was to have been standard on subsequent airframes too. an actual example of the camera door abiet not from one of the completed airframes used to be with the College of Aeronautics collection of structural and mechanical examples, possibly from what is now the Duxford example as this airframe originally had this panel missing!

XR219 was pretty much a clean airframe, one noticable external difference was the venturi fitted to the port side (as well as initially a nose probe aligned with the cone instead of the sgl., or vica versa, ill chack and post back!)
XR220 as delivered to Boscombe had weapons drop cameras fitted for underwing stores trials (the pylon and flight refuelling positions were also 'drilled out' for fitment altho the trials with same were uncompleted upon cancellation)
XR221 was again similar to '220 altho the airframe was to have its strike/navigation system fitted from onset including full camera fit

cheers, Joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

PR19_Kit

Joe,

I was in and out of Cranfield in the late '60s, and '222 was in the Systems Hangar all that time.

The course I was on used her an exercise tool, even though we were Auto Technology students. Everyone knew she was '222 but I'm darned if I can remember if she had her serial painted on the tail or anywhere else. For sure she had pale RAF roundels on the wings and nose and the overall white was pristine, apart from where we'd scratched the edges of the hatches getting them open. <blush>

During the time I was around her various bits and pieces kept arriving in boxes and were installed in the airframe, but that didn't include any engines of course. There were scurrilous rumours that our Prof was going to scrounge a couple of Olympuses and taxi her, but I expect that was wishfull thinking.  :lol:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

overscan

I don't suppose you remember the P.1121 bits at Cranfield too? Or were they gone by then?
Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

PR19_Kit

Paul,

I'm not sure the P1121 ever was at Cranfield, I never saw any recognisable bits of it anyway. There are photos about of the centre fuselage in store at Cosford recently, and linking from that it seems it was Cardington at some stage, in visual range of Cranfield on a good day :)

The Supermarine 545, the supersonic Swift with the twin nose intakes, was there at the time. We didn't work on it but walked past every day we went into the main hangar. How blase can you get?

Also PA474, the BoB Flight Lancaster, was there then too, but parked in another hangar and overall silver, with no turrets as I recall.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

overscan

This photo was in an album of Cranfield pics a friend possesses.

Paul Martell-Mead / Overscan
"What if?" addict

PR19_Kit

Awesome piccie! What an imposing aircraft that would have been...... :(

That's the inside of the Structures Hangar at Cranfield for sure, they must have moved it before I was there, such a pity. But why not make it viewable at Cosford???

Regards
Kit