Main Menu

More Migs

Started by McGreig, July 20, 2007, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGreig

Haven't had time to do any real modelling recently -  the Tu-504 and P-40 Pulsejet are still unpainted, the Turbo Il-10 and MiG UAV are still un-decalled (is that a real word?), the Ye-8 and Chinese Il-28 are still only half built and the MiG-25Z is still unrestored. However, the kit sorting and restoration from the house move continues and provided this opportunity to ensure that the Forum's MiG quotient is kept at a suitably high level (although they're mostly not whiffs). All are 1/72.

First - two MiG-21PFM. The East German machine is converted from the Matchbox kit, while the Ukrainian one is the Fujimi kit built straight from the box (and it hasn't had its ejection seat fitted yet).

The Ukrainian aircraft is a whiff in that it never flew in these colours - they were applied after it was mounted on a concrete plinth as a display item.

McGreig

Chinese MiG-21MF (J-7III) converted from the Fujimi MiG-21bis (all the kits Fujimi market as "MF" are actually "bis") and a Lindberg "Battle Damaged" MiG-21PF. With the "Battle Damaged" kit I cut a hole through the moulded-on battle damage on the fuselage and added a little freelance structure inside to give it a more three dimensional effect.

McGreig

MiG-21/F-104 blend (in need of some restoration work). This was a genuine MiG project but I hadn't seen a photograph when I built the model - the "real" project had an F-104 style T tail.

McGreig

Two MiG-21SMT. The grey aircraft is the Fujimi kit built straight from the box while the camouflaged machine has the fuselage of an old Russian kit mated to the KP wings, tail planes and undercarriage.

McGreig

Two MiG-21bis. Both are Fujimi kits. The Afghan aircraft uses Fujimi's decals but the Hungarian decals were taken from the Aeroteam repackaging of the KP MiG-21MF kit.

DropBear

The yellow paint sets it off rather well.

Nicely done!

:thumbsup:  

Glenn Gilbertson

Great collection - particularly like the Chinese colours.
:thumbsup:  

Mossie

Nice builds McGreig!  Do you have a close up of that Iraqi battle damaged aircraft?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McGreig

QuoteDo you have a close up of that Iraqi battle damaged aircraft?
Yes, here are a couple of close ups of the Iraqi MiG. It's normally displayed on a small base with a large blackened area under the rear fuselage, but that doesn't really work for photos.

McGreig

PanzerWulff

McG your Migs look Awesome!!! they look so good I pulled out some of my soviet kits and start them assembely line fashion.My bench currently looks like a russian airshow disaster :lol: Thanks for your Inspiring Migs :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

BlackOps

Great assortment! I need to round up a couple of those battle damaged kits, they were one of my favorites when I was a kid!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

gooberliberation

:wub: The camo on the J-7III is awesome!
================================
"How about this for a headline for tomorrows paper? French fries." ~~ James French, d. 1966 Executed in electric chair in Oklahoma.

ysi_maniac

Nice models indeed
:wub:  :cheers:  :thumbsup:  :salute:
From another MiG lover
Will die without understanding this world.

McGreig

Thanks everyone.

PanzerW - looking forward to seeing the results of the Soviet Explosion  :cheers:

Another semi-whiff, with a Chinese J-7 for scale. Two MiG Ye-152s were built and the model is a JV Jetkit resin which comes with decals for 152-1, the natural metal first prototype. However, it was such a pig to build  :angry:  that I didn't feel like struggling with a natural metal finish as well, so I decided to finish it as the camera-shy second prototype. I've never found a photo of 152-2 but subsequent aircraft in the series - 152P and 152M - were painted light grey and that was enough for me. If anyone has proof that the 152-2 was actually natural metal, please keep it to yourself!  ^_^