Main Menu

Av-22

Started by LemonJello, July 22, 2007, 07:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasper

Some of the old 2-tone USMC schemes would be Fab! Dig the interior too!

Shas B)
Take Care, Stay Cool & Remember to "Check-6"
- Bud S.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Three tones of 'black' for night/dusk missions - no seriously, ohhhh alright, I'll get me coat !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

madcatter

While it may not be feasable, it would look sharp in traditional gunship colors over Vietnam, three tone top, black belly.
-N8

lancer

Absolutely brilliant build. I am stunned at the level of detail you've put in there. Looking forward to seein gthis one finished.
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

LemonJello

QuoteThree tones of 'black' for night/dusk missions - no seriously, ohhhh alright, I'll get me coat !

Ian

While it may not be feasable, it would look sharp in traditional gunship colors over Vietnam, three tone top, black belly
-N8
The three-tone over black was my first choice, believe it or not.  Though I've gone back and forth over maybe doing a woodland MARPAT in place of the SEA scheme over black.  Then I'd use semi-gloss and possibly gloss black for radomes and other details to break up the monotony.
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: LemonJello on July 22, 2007, 07:28:42 PMWell, here's an update on the project that earned me an invite to this awesome site.  It's another tiltrotor, but it's a Spectre-type gunship based on the 1/48 V-22 kit.
I couldn't find any threads here with previous photos of the work I've done, and I'm not sure where they've gone on my pc at home, but here's the updates:
I located the thread that I created announcing your work on the original AV-22 project to this forum.  Link to original thread

Unfortunately I did not include images, only the original links to the images at ArmorDrama and if you still have an account over there, it is possible to download the images to your hard drive and upload them here.
Unaffiliated Independent Subversive
----------------------------------
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

Leigh

That is very very nice. Interested to know how yer gonna mask around those guns for painting?

I invite all and any criticism, except about Eric The Dog, it's not his fault he's stupid

Leigh's Models

LemonJello

QuoteThat is very very nice. Interested to know how yer gonna mask around those guns for painting?
That is going to be a challenge.  I'm thinking I'll wrap the barrels with either tape or paper and paint around them that way.  The mounts are rather delicate, I've snapped both miniguns and the big cannon off their pedestals already, and once I"ve mated the wing to the fuselage, it'll be even tougher to remount them.

OR, I've looked at just painting over the barrels and then going back with gunmetal or another metallic color and repainting them.  

Then there's the question of the gunports themselves; do I leave them open as they are now, or do I try to put some kind of covering like the modern AC-130s have?

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: LemonJello on August 22, 2007, 05:46:28 PM
Quote from: Leigh on August 21, 2007, 12:10:51 PMThat is very very nice. Interested to know how yer gonna mask around those guns for painting?
That is going to be a challenge.  I'm thinking I'll wrap the barrels with either tape or paper and paint around them that way.  The mounts are rather delicate, I've snapped both miniguns and the big cannon off their pedestals already, and once I"ve mated the wing to the fuselage, it'll be even tougher to remount them.
OR, I've looked at just painting over the barrels and then going back with gunmetal or another metallic color and repainting them. 
Then there's the question of the gunports themselves; do I leave them open as they are now, or do I try to put some kind of covering like the modern AC-130s have?
You might want to try and use a plastic straw cut to length to as a "mask" with some tissue paper stuffed into the open end to keep the spray out.  The window/gun port may be an additional challenge but the gun barrels will have good protection from overspray.  Since there are many sized straws avaiable at most of your coffee stands, and fast food establishments, you should have no problem getting some supplies the next time you are on a foraging mission at the local drive-through.  
"Every day we hear about new studies 'revealing' what should have been obvious to sentient beings for generations; 'Research shows wolverines don't like to be teased" -- Jonah Goldberg

LemonJello

That sound?  Me smacking my forehead.  Straws!  It's just genius, plain and simple.  That should work better than anything I had thought up.

Jeffry Fontaine

Quote from: LemonJello on August 24, 2007, 06:02:15 PMThat sound?  Me smacking my forehead.  Straws!  It's just genius, plain and simple.  That should work better than anything I had thought up.
Glad to be of assistance.   Remember, what goes around... It was your simple genius that resolved the issue of how to create a convincing flexible ammunition feed chute.  Something that we here are all very greatful for. 

LemonJello

I didn't want to start a new thread for this project, since it gets exhumed from the crypt for an update.  It's been a while, but I've gotten some work in on this project.  She's a little closer to actually sitting on the shelf in my office.

On to the photos, and comments are welcome:

I just may actually get this phoenix-like build done this year!

John Howling Mouse

Absofrigginlutely mindblowing!  All I want to know is how I possibly missed this one?  Maybe because we were moving the month leading up to your posts but, man-oh-man, this is one over-the-top execution of a fantastic concept!  Wow!!!!!   :wub: :wub: :wub:  I was shocked when I saw the scratchbuilt weapons lay-out/interior and now the camo....completely overwhelming in the best possible way.
Styrene in my blood and an impressive void in my cranium.

Jeffry Fontaine

Good to see this project on page one again.  Was beginning to think you were competing with Barry to win the title of longest build project.