Your Help Required.....

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, July 25, 2007, 02:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Cannot figure out how to set-up a proper poll, so here's a not so proper one ! :huh:

Been away from What Iffing for a while whilst I've been building a lot of real world stuff - some of which can be seen here (Britmodeller ) and here (Swanny's site). I thought I'd restart my Whiffing with a relatively easy build/paint project..... and here is the question.....

Which scheme should it be ??

1 - SEAC
Dk Earth/Dk Green/Med Sea Grey with white ID stripes.

2 - Desert
Dk Earth/Mid Stone/Azure Blue with 112 Sqn sharks teeth.

3 - 9th Air Force
Natural metal finish with 'nose art' lots of squadron colours.

I'll take other suggestions too as long as they are rooted in the 1945-47 timeframe. Thanks in advance guys....

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Maverick

Dang Ian, ya just made me want to get 3 of them, altho in 72nd as I'm not a quarterscaler!  Best of luck deciding, I'd go for.. one of each,  :wub: :lol:

Mav

Brian da Basher

It'd be a treat to see a Meteor in 9th Air Foce colors. It would certainly be a head-turner and not something you see every day!

Brian da Basher

Mike Wren

ysi_maniac

What about ...
SEAC camo painted plane that is quickly deployed to cold climate -Korea or China, for instance- and there white washable paint is harshly applied in areas leaving clean areas showing undercoat colours?
:wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

QuoteWhat about ...
SEAC camo painted plane that is quickly deployed to cold climate -Korea or China, for instance- and there white washable paint is harshly applied in areas leaving clean areas showing undercoat colours?
:wub:  :wub:
Great idea..... Waaaayyyy to complex for me this time around !. Please keep the ideas coming chaps. Off now to start building the thing !

Ian
"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

Scooterman

Archibald

QuoteIt'd be a treat to see a Meteor in 9th Air Foce colors. It would certainly be a head-turner and not something you see every day!

Brian da Basher
As Brian said  :cheers:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

PanzerWulff

#2 sounds good to me ;)
"Panzer"
Chris"PanzerWulff"Gray "The Whiffing Fool"
NOTE TO SELF Stick to ARMOR!!!
Self proclaimed "GODZILLA Junkie"!

Excalibur

Desert Scheme sounds good to me, with sharksmouth.  

Bryan H.

OK, I like the 8th AF idea the best - a natural metal Meteor with the Star-n-bars would be nice.  Maybe, some special nose-art...  'Shangra-la', 'Glamourous Glennis,' 'Topper,' 'Rabbit,' or the the name of your favorite 8th AF pilot's mount.

However, I'd also like to suggest a few others.

Republican Spain AF - love the purple, red & yellow on the fin & the big red stripe!

Soviet AF - maybe, some sort of 'Lend-lease' for a prolongued WWII, with giant Cyrillic propaganda slogans on the side!

Regia Aeronautica or Italian Co-Belligerent AF - again, some sort of 'Lend-lease' but with one of those wonderful Italian camo schemes!

:cheers: Bryan

Miscellany (that effects modeling):
My son & daughter.
School - finishing my degree

Models (upcoming):
RCN A-4F+ ArcticHawk

McGreig

Soviet AF - maybe, some sort of 'Lend-lease' for a prolongued WWII, with giant Cyrillic propaganda slogans on the side!
The USSR ordered three Meteor F4s in 1947 but, sadly, export approval was never granted (T. Buttler & V. Kotelnikov "Early Russian Jet Engines" pub by Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust).

However, despite my conviction that red stars improve the appearance of any aircraft, I'd vote for the desert scheme here (with sharkmouth  :) ).

lancer

Well I vote for number 2  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

Archangel

If you go with the USAAF one I can tell you that you might want to  use these decals for the nose art since they area ll original and done in the style of the period you mentioned. Look forthe cheesecake decals on this link and select the size you want.

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index.cfm?c...&category_id=31

Mossie

Three ideas from me:
Royal Navy EDSG over sky.  Maybe for land based ops rather than carrier.
RAAF Foliage Green/RAAF Dk Green or overall Foliage Green with Blue/white roundels.
Banff Strike Wing, DSG over White or Sky.  Always liked the idea of a FB meatbox!

Voting for your ideas Ian, I'd go with No.3 just for a change from RAF/Commonwealth roundels, very closely followed by No.2.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.