Your Help Required.....

Started by Ian the Kiwi Herder, July 25, 2007, 02:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LemonJello

I'd suggest going with the blues/greys of the Atlantic scheme, but the NMF with nose art is a can't miss idea, too.
The Corps is a department of the Navy? Yeah, the Men's department.

philp

If you want a desert one your timing is pretty good.
Both Glanini and Maverick have recently posted profiles.
Phil Peterson

Vote for the Whiffies

Mossie

QuoteDone at least two of those - although me Sea Meteor was in the three colour scheme (EDSG/ Slate grey over Sky).  I've an RAAF one somewhere, although it's aluminium rather than foliage green.  By the time the Meteor was in service, I think Foliage green was being phased out.

Definately have a Banff Meteor though.
Think your right about the Foliage Green, it might just fit in for the F.3 (Mossies had it overall in late 1944, I think) but aluminium dope is more likely for the '45-'47 timescale Ian asked for.  I've just always liked the Aussie two tone green scheme!
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

So after three sittings totalling 90mins (or there about) since opening the box, this is where I am:

All the major construction done, with some luck I can get the insides sprayed this afternoon, if not it will wait 'till Sunday when I change over from days to nights. I'll leave the decision till then, so far everybody - and I do mean EVERYbody has come up with some really great suggestions....

Here's an idea for y'all, that's just occured to me - If it was being flown by the French (I have some appropriate decals), what scheme would look better - Standard RAF Ocean Grey/Dk Green/MSG or overall Aluminium ??

Ian

"When the Carpet Monster tells you it's full....
....it's time to tidy the workbench"

Confuscious (maybe)

ysi_maniac

In such case: Overall Aluminium
Will die without understanding this world.

Radish

If French....why not Olive Drab over Neutral Grey, like some of their P-47Ds?

I like the 9th AF USAAF idea, though.

Going completely "off the wall", a Turkish one in sand and spinach?

Finnish with post-war roundels?

If all else fails....Natural Metal, USAAF type stars/bars, but ISRAELI roundels super-imposed over the top??
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Brian da Basher

Wow you certainly had your coffee, Ian! What a fantastic start! I still gotta vote for NMF and 9th Air Force, although a cool "yellow wings" scheme would look neat on it as well! Add a tail hook and 1930's U.S. Navy markings...

I'll get me coat.
:lol:
Brian da Basher

Ian the Kiwi Herder

No didn't get any painting done yesterday, got sidetracked into flying an hour or so on IL2 1946..... (That Japanese Yak-15 didn't have a chance against my Dutch F-80 !). Will be throwing some paint around on Sunday as mentioned.....

However, enthused by the stupidly easy build of the Meteor, I dug-out another Tamiya 1:48 beauty, ready to perform some 'paints kits differently' nonsense upon....

Not telling you anymore just yet, but here's the clues..... It's effing big (in 1:48) has more than one engine and will be painted in my newly copyrighted 'Scorched Earth' scheme  ;)

Later....

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

Radish

Aaaaggghhh....the Blow Torch effect :lol:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

NARSES2

Bit late on thsi but -

SEAC with dark earth as Wookster suggest or

She is perfectly wellcome to join my growing post 1945 Regia Aeranautica

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Howard of Effingham

and next we have the....  B) and a historically topical scheme

well i think i get where I-H-G is going here as can't you build this kit with one of
the engine cowlings opened up? if you can i await the finished result!  :wub:

why not go with shameless self promotion here and have I-H-G as the marking letters here as some personal aircraft of some 'little known' RAF wg/cdr   :o

keep up the good work ian!

trevor
Keeper of George the Cat.

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Quotewhy not go with shameless self promotion here and have I-H-G as the marking letters here as some personal aircraft of some 'little known' RAF wg/cdr   :o

Welllllll, most of you will be familiar with 'Widge' Gleed's Spit Vc (IR * G), that's fairly close and the very well known and outrageously colourful P-47D-30 'Tarheel Hal' is coded IA*N..... even closer AND it's a 9th AF unit  !

As far as I know 112 Sqn kept their GA code to the end of the war, so if I do a desert camo'd Meteor I'll keep the coding as is.

The SEAC one is wide open, I have some spare SEAC P-47 decals that would jus drop straight on.... we'll see. Hmmmmm French Aeronaval in glossy blue..... It would be a definite 'goer' except that I recently finished a Hasegawa Hellcat in that scheme and I'm looking for something different this time, having said all of that, I do have a second Tamiya F3 in the stash......  :o

Keep the ideas and opinions coming, a quick straw poll tells me that the NMF 9th AF machine and the Desert coloured one are just about joint first.... decisions, decisions.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

HOG

Oh so many good ideas    Hows about a desert finish photo recon with a sharkmouth and starzinbarz and posted to Korea with a winter wash.
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )

Ian the Kiwi Herder

Well tonight is decision time, and if I listened to you lot, I'd have to paint one side in the desert scheme with half a sharks mouth and the other half in NMF with some really colourful nose-art, stripes etc.... My not-so-proper poll came out a dead-heat !

As mentioned previously I do have two of these superb kits in the stash, so I will force m'self to do the two ! Dont know which one of the schemes will be first as sitting in the paintshed at the moment is a NMF Tamiya P-47 (with one coat of Alclad II already on) and a Hasegawa P-40 that is waiting for me to start throwing some desert colours at it !.... So it really is a 50/50 decision. S'pose it is entirely dependant upon how I feel at that moment  :huh:

Well, it was so nice here today we went for a long walk so no painting, will make a supreme effort to drag my lazy a*se into the shed tomorrow afternoon..... if I make it, then all bets are off !

Thanks once again, all, the progress pics will be posted here over the next couple of weeks.

Ian

Confuscious (maybe)

nev

Ian, back when arrived here in a blaze of glory, you had 2 "attractions" going on.  One was your Eurovision Wars, the second was a 9th AF Meteor.....

I've been waiting on the latter for years, please put me out of my misery!  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May