Noah's Ark In Cubit Scale...minicraft...

Started by Radish, July 25, 2007, 10:56:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

In the Minicraft leaflet of new releases I received through Hannants this morning (attached to 2 x 1/72nd F-4C/D Bicententnniel  kits :wub: ) was the news/illustration of Noah's Ark in Cubit Scale. It says "New Tooling" so presumablt there's a kit before?....apart from Noah's and he probably built it from scratch. It says it can be built and it floats!! Obviously an advantage.
Apparantly the kit deals with the following issues:
how did it navigate
how was the animal waste cleaned
how was clean air brought into the Ark
where were the animal cages
where did Noah's family live....etc..

Obviously, this will have enormous what if? possibilities....a carrier springs to mind obviously, as does a cruise liner??

Also listed is a 1/35th Titanic Lifeboat, nicely illustrated....
a 1/48th C-20B/C Gulfstream III
a 1/72nd PBM-5 Mariner......all new tooling :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Jennings

I'm friends with the guy who is doing the CAD design work on all of the kits you mentioned.  Same guy who did the DC-8 kit (fabulous!).  I saw him in May, and saw the first test shots of the Ark.  It's, um, well.... different.  Apparently the major market for the kit won't be traditional hobbyists.  When you see it, please take note that the pointy end is *not* the bow.  The blunt end is the bow.  I'm not a naval architect (nor do I play one on TV, nor apparently was Noah...), so I don't know why the aft end of an essentially unpowered vessel would need to be pointy, but there it is.  Lots and lots of decks.

The Mariner is being designed right now.  I can't tell you much about it except that it's going to be a 1/72 Mariner (from scratch, as there's never been one before other than Rareplanes).  

The 1/48 (yes, 1/48) G-III is also coming (later).  Why this kit is being done is an utter mystery to me.  I foresee a huge flop, but Minicraft don't agree apparently.  In 1/72 I could foresee better possibilities (along with several other notable bizjets with military potential), but in 1/48??

I know nothing more about the Titanic lifeboat other than "women & children first."

:)

J
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

jcf

Blunt bow? Tapering stern? Cruise liner? Sounds like Bel Geddes:

BTW a hull with its widest part forward and tapering to the stern is generally referred to as 'fish-form' and the shape has been around a long time.

Cheers, Jon

The Rat

DANG that's a gorgeous bit o' work!  :wub:

One question I like to throw at 'Arkeologists' is; where were all the aquariums? Most aquatic life forms have strict limits of salinity, alkilinity/acidity, hardness, etc., and any water covering the Earth would be a mish-mash unsuitable for most, they would die. Hence Noah is now stuck with keeping aquariums clean, and many of you know how hard that is. Plus he wouldn't have had modern filtration and aeration systems.

No wonder that the first thing he's supposed to have done after landing was get stinking drunk and party naked!  :P  :cheers:  :party:  
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

TsrJoe

to any interested in such things... theres a brilliant model of 'Noah's Ark' in Glasgows Transport Museum built for a shipyard families day back in the 1950's by (ex museum director) Tony Browning, who was also one of the first 'modelmakers' on the Clyde (to be employed as such and not as was per norm models being made by patternmakers, apprentices, outside companies, etc)

Tony (or 'Mr Browning to you' as he frequently told his undelings)  was a really nice chap, always having a clear desk apart from a bible upon it, and struck fear to those he felt were bs'ing him (very common in the museum/arts world unfortunately)

The model on display measures approx 2 1/2 feet long and was shaped and finised to represent a massive log construction, the side hinged open to reveal minute stalls, paddocks etc within, all to a very high 'shipyard model standard' all finished off with a silverplated label describing eg.. 'shipright and builder 'Noah' upon instruction by 'Jehova' etc and its dimensions in 'cubits' translated into feet...all brilliantly done!

I had great pleasure in restoring the vessel after languishing in the museum stores for many year whilst i was the modelmaker with Glasgow Museums, so got the chance to see up close the workmanship infused to the model, eg even tho built from flat sides of 'yellow pine' the log detail inscribed and shaped is amazing with even representations of faceting upon them where they would have been shaped if real

def worth a looksee if visiting Glasgow or are up here for the upcoming Glasgow Model Show which is literally in the adjacent building,

cheers, Joe

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

Radish

That liner by Bel Geddes is almost intergalactic.
Fantastic.

I'd have thought the market for the Ark would (or wood?) be Middle America, schools, libraries, etc..
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

Mechworker

OH WOW...

First, thsi is a bizarre idea for  a kit, however, the possibilities are nearly endless.

I know there's one theory that the ark was some kind of escape ship from Atlantis. True? False? Who cares! The possible Whiffery oozes out of every pore... (knothole?)

What about the following:

Atlantean troop transport
Convert one to an Atlantean Gunboat (flatten the afterdecks and put on a turret or two)
Atlantean helicopter/aircraft carrier
Atlantean dropship (imagine the booster for that?)
Atlantean SSBN (built one at periscope depth)

I'm sure there are tons of other ideas, too.

Heck, paint them in Ocean Liner colours!

Man, even I might want one of these things...

Jennings

QuoteOne question I like to throw at 'Arkeologists' is; where were all the aquariums? Most aquatic life forms have strict limits of salinity, alkilinity/acidity, hardness, etc., and any water covering the Earth would be a mish-mash unsuitable for most, they would die.
There you go, trying to inject scientific logic into Christian dogma again!  Ya just gotta believe.  That the earth was created 5846 years ago (on April 1st?), and that all the plants and animals are now exactly the way they were then.  At least if you live near where I live, that's what ya gotta believe :)

J (troublemaker)
"My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over." - Gerald R. Ford, 9 Aug 1974

Mechworker

Well, 5846 isn't as bad as a guy I work with!

He's a very skilled tradesman, but he INSISTS that the earth is only 2000 years old. Of course, we asked how that works, since Christ (his main man) would have been born 2007 years ago (maybe, I don't know how this stuff works...)

He insists the world is much YOUNGER than we think, not older. When asked about how Moses could exist (he fully believes in the flood story and all Old Testament stuff) if the world is only 2000 years old, he simply says that science hasn't perfected the art of dating things yet. There's the old thing about Dinosaurs dying in the flood, it being a test of faith, etc. Science seems to offer him not possible vestiges of other explanations.

Very weird, given he's also an electronics junkie, but whatever floats your boat, or ark...

You know, you could do a neat diorama with the ark.... Have one kitted out with a bunch of dinosaurs on it, but make it either crashed on a rock, sinking or under fire from a.) Noah's armed Ark or b.) God - since he'd be pissed that someone other than Noah was trying to get in on the animal-saving deluvian action.

Just a thought.

Me, I believe the world and humanity are much older than we think, and we've forgotten a ton of stuff over the ages.

Read "Atlantis in America" by Ivar Zapp. Excellent book, and makes me wish I had a time machine...

Hey, there's another idea for a use for one of these ARK kits...

TsrJoe

hehehe..i like the idea of an albino 'dinosaurid Noah' and an ark full of differering dinosaurs...lol

of course as history shows the vessel unfortunately floundered with the loss of the last remnants of the dinosaur dynasty...lol

:dum:  
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

P1127

Quotehehehe..i like the idea of an albino 'dinosaurid Noah' and an ark full of differering dinosaurs...lol
You could load it up with some of those Roundel'd pteranadons
It's not an effing  jump jet.

dragon

Quotehehehe..i like the idea of an albino 'dinosaurid Noah' and an ark full of differering dinosaurs...lol
....and call it ARK ROYAL? :lol:
With that name, of course the pteranadons would need to have roundels on their wings...
"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway, why not get the benefits of it?  It liberates you from convention."- from the novel WICKED by Gregory Maguire.

"I must really be crazy to be in a looney bin like this" - Jack Nicholson in the movie ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST

NARSES2

With that name, of course the pteranadons would need to have roundels on their wings...
I can just see the look on "Rad's" face now - he will have a maniachal gleam in the eye and be drooling over the thought of flying RAF Dino's and a TX Rex in 7th Armd Div markings  ;)

One of the club stands that does the rounds of the Southern shows in the UK has a collecton of dragons in various WWII allied markings and camo styles  :)

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

lancer

I can just see the look on "Rad's" face now - he will have a maniachal gleam in the eye and be drooling over the thought of flying RAF Dino's and a TX Rex in 7th Armd Div markings  ;)

One of the club stands that does the rounds of the Southern shows in the UK has a collecton of dragons in various WWII allied markings and camo styles  :)

Chris
Don't give hm that sort of idea, he has enough of them already.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :banghead:  
If you love, love without reservation; If you fight, fight without fear - THAT is the way of the warrior

If you go into battle knowing you will die, then you will live. If you go into battle hoping to live, then you will die

GTX

Quote1/48th C-20B/C Gulfstream III

I will take one of those definitely!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!