Antiship Tsr-2

Started by Archibald, July 31, 2007, 01:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

When Turkey received its RA-5C from the Boneyard in 1981 (to monitor the russian fleet of the Black Sea, and eventually strike it with Harpoons)  Greece warned that it will buy, too, a medium supersonic bomber. After evaluation of second-hand Mirage IVs in France, Congress refused to sell F-111A to Greece.
So the country asked for TSR-2, and a batch of Eagle mk.2 was refurbished at Warton.
The machine were used by 339 Mira, and painted in the Aegean blue sheme. These powerfull machines were used in many roles, including antishipping. The bomb bay was found unnecessary, and was replaced by a large belly rack to carry 8*454 pound iron bombs. Magic AAM were used for self defense.
Greek pilots praised the machine for its brute power, long range and outstanding flying qualities at low level. They regularly outflew Turkish Phantoms  at low-level...

This is my airfix TSR-2, of which I culdn't find an interesting livery  :(
Now it's done, and I like it like that!
It has found its definitive markings after various atempts  :unsure:  

It's the powerful-jets week... first this greek TSR-2, then the CEV Phantom, and finally, an Iranian CF-105 Arrow with some mods and goodies  ;)   :party:  

King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Hobbes

That's a nice colour combination. Did you change the nose? And could you show us a picture of the bottom of the aircraft?  

Mossie

Greek Eagle, fantastic!  I like what you've done to the nose Archie, is it from a Harrier FA.2?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Archibald

The nose is actually... a Mirage 2000D "subsonic" 2000L drop tank.  ;)
Nothing get lost, and with Heller spare service, I had a lots of these tanks for free  :rolleyes:  

Pic of the underside will come soon...

I fell in love with the  Aegean blue sheme thanks to ACIG.org, which has a cool pic of a Greek Phantom in this livery  :wub:  

French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Brian da Basher

Nice "nose job" there Archie!
:thumbsup:
Brian da Basher

Archibald

Pics of the underside as promised  :party:

Dumb bombs are used to finish ships damaged by Exocets. A bit of dive bombing, et voila!

ysi_maniac

Nice concept, really
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

anthonyp

For a Thunderchicken, that's pretty cool!  As others have said, I like the nose job!   :thumbsup:  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Archibald

QuoteFor a Thunderchicken, that's pretty cool!  As others have said, I like the nose job!   :thumbsup:
What thunderchicken ? Don't understand...  lot of fun doing this one!

I'm going to be burned alive by all british whatifers here :rolleyes:  but I'm not a great fan of the TSR-2 (I prefer by far the CF-105 Arrow).

But I (finally) like the TSR-2 with this livery  and weapon load...

for info, I think that the shape of the nose in under Mirage influence.

Sh*t, just realised something while writing this

I'VE CHANGED THE TSR-2 INTO A BIG MIRAGE [/size]
(exocet, magic, Mirage nose, the intakes were already Mirage-shaped)  :lol:  :lol:

Excalibur

It does look like a F1 Mirage on steroids  :cheers:

I like the colour scheme & anti ship concept.  

Rafael

A REALLY angry Mirage. I mean, that bird means business!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

anthonyp

QuoteFor a Thunderchicken, that's pretty cool!  As others have said, I like the nose job!   :thumbsup:
What thunderchicken ? Don't understand...  lot of fun doing this one!

I'm going to be burned alive by all british whatifers here :rolleyes:  but I'm not a great fan of the TSR-2 (I prefer by far the CF-105 Arrow).
Heh...  the first time I looked at a TSR.2, the name "Thunderchicken" came to mind.  It's been my pet-name for it since.

I'm with you, though.  I don't like the TSR.2.  I don't know why, I just never have.

And yes, the CF-105 is a much sexier airplane  B)  
I exist to pi$$ others off!!!
My categorized models directory on my site.
My site (currently with no model links).
"Build what YOU like, the way YOU want to." - a wise man

Archibald

Anthony, my theoria on the subject is as follow... its more difficult loving the TSR-2 than the Arrow because its a bomber, a ground pounder. This also explain the legend of the interceptor variant... interceptors are sexiest than bombers  :rolleyes:  

Arrow and TSR-2 stories are incredibly similar, even if there's no real connection between the two machines (n"en deplaise to their fanatics)

Seriously, its my subconscious (hope this word exist in english ?!!  :unsure: )  that changed the TSR-2 into a kind of giant Mirage F1. Probably because the greeks already have Mirage F1s, add to this the intakes and canopy...   :dum:

For info, the Mirage F1 is a scaled-down Mirage F2, a plane which was deeply influenced by... the TSR-2.

I like the name "thunderchicken". Sounds good to me...

Brian da Basher

Quote<snip>

I like the name "thunderchicken". Sounds good to me...
I wonder if Sentinel Chicken will want a licensing fee...

;)

Brian da Basher