Some Oldies From The Storage Boxes ...

Started by TsrJoe, August 01, 2007, 01:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

Hawker Hurricane Mk.2, Z3687, 'Armstrong Whitworth' AW.52 laminar flow wing trials, 1946 (this aircaft was initially flown in camouflage but later refinished to an overall white scheme)

... converted Airfix Mk.1 kit, outer wings from styrene sheet, lengthened nose, deepened radiator, Heller Mk.II prop and tailwheel, note inboard roundel positions, intended to  keep the wing clear of all blemishes!
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 trainer, N2630, 1940 (note rear seat position, similar to that fitted in closed form on later Persian Hurricane trainers!)

... converted Airfix Mk.1 kit, rear cockpit added, represents the aircraft modified in 1940 to trainer configuration but later converted back to standard form

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1, P2992, 'callibration aircraft', 1944

... Airfix Mk.1 kit, represents the aircraft used c.1944 to train anti aircraft gunners in tracking moving targets and painted in a high visibility scheme

TsrJoe

Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 (early), G-AFKX, 'Rotol Ltd.' variable pitch propellor trials, 1939

... converted Airfix Mk.1 kit with my own resin 'fabric' wing,  Aeroclub civil aircraft lettering, aircraft used by 'Rotol Ltd.' carrying out trials of differing propellor types intended for the Hurricane, etc. The aircraft was later camouflaged upon the outbreak of war

TsrJoe

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.III, N3297, 1940 (this aircraft was intended to test a number of advanced developments for the type, eg. engine, clipped wings, retractable tailwheel, etc.)

... Airfix Mk.Vb kit, clipped wings from Mk.1a, tailwheel from Frog Mk.XIV, finished in high visibility prototype scheme c.1940 with black/white unders and yellow uppersurfaces. The aircraft later carried a camouflage scheme with yellow undersurfaces

TsrJoe

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IV, DP845, 1941 (this aircraft was intended to test a number of advanced developments for the type, eg. RR. Griffon engine, 6 cannon wings, sloted flaps, etc.)

... converted Airfix Mk.Vb kit, modified engine and tailwheel from Frog Mk.XIV, prop from Heller Mk.XVI, cannons from Airfix Mk.V, fairings and flap hinges from styrene, handpainted 'P' markings

TsrJoe

TsrJoe

TsrJoe

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vc, EJ137, 1943 (note forward seat position and second windscreen, the upper fuel tank being removed to provide (cramped) space for the pilots batman!)

... converted Airfix Mk.Vb kit with my own resin 'c' wing (modified from the Frog Mk.VIII) Volkes filter from Heller Mk.Vb, forward position added and detailed with lower fuel tank etc.

Brian da Basher

Yowsa Joe that's one impressive collection! I can't decide which one I like best but the gunnery trainer Hurricane and the early silver Hurricane with fabric covered wings are definitely contenders!

Brian da Basher

kitnut617

I second what Wooksta has said, Mmmmn!!  I love all of them.  Have you got any of the Czech Omega Hurricanes Joe?  I've got eight of them so far  :o

Robert
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

kitnut617

QuoteI've got two (Griffon and Hercules) and for what you get they're bloody expensive.
I agree they are really expensive, but they are of some versions that are really different.

These are the ones I have:

Mk.XII c/w skiis
Griffon Engine
Russian Trainer two seat
Asch-82 Radial Engine
Hercules Engine
DB-601 Engine (this one was trialed by Yugoslavia I think)
floatplane
Russian Two Seater (this has a rear facing m/g)

Robert

nev

The Spit Mk.IV has to be my favourite - so many different features all bolted onto an early airframe, it looks positively wrong, the kind of thing the Russians would do  :P  
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

kitnut617

QuoteWhat pisses me off about the DB601 Hurricane is that modellers will willingly pay upwards of twenty notes for the kit yet gleefully ignore the fact that it's really just a cut and shut job with a Hurricane Mk 1 and a Bf 110 engine (max cost £10 for the pair) and a bit of filling as they're too sodding lazy!
It was just the thought of this one engined Bf.110 hobbling around on crutches Wooksta ---- I just couldn't do it to it   :rolleyes:  :lol:  

Allan

Hi Joe
Wonderful models, one and all, but I'd have to plump for the six cannon Spit and the one with the batman cockpit--he'd be a little too close to a landing accident for my taste though
Allanin Canberra