Flying Saucers and UFOs

Started by TsrJoe, August 02, 2007, 04:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TsrJoe

a 'Soviet attack saucer' ref, May 1954 'Air Trails', artwork by Cal Smith ...

... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

... can tell i was busy in the office today...lol

... ignore the pen marked vac moulding, that was to try determine placement of various features... im thinking a retractable missile tray, skid undercart, bifurbed intakes to a single exhaust slot, and of course obligitory red stars and dk. green uppers, lt. blue unders scheme prevelant on those old artists impressions and speculative models of Soviet aircraft during the 1950's

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

TsrJoe

... an hour later ...

... i was going to motorise it but decided to make the rotor free spinning instead

ysi_maniac

Will die without understanding this world.

TsrJoe

... couldnt resist pouring resin into the vac halves giving a more rigid structure ...

GTX

Reminds me a little of this Fw-500 by Daniele Sabatini (see here for more including a description)

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

Mossie

That's the one I was thinking of Greg!

Great stuff Joe, hope you don't burn yourself out in case this GB comes along! :P   Seriously, looks like a nice scratch build you've got yourself there, fit's smack on the line between reality & sci-fi.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

BlackOps

Cool idea...ya gotta love flying saucers!
Jeff G.
Stumbling through life.

TsrJoe

... intakes and exhaust drilled out and sitting in primer ...

... i took the circular form intake shape from those neat Danieli Sabatini cg. images posted up by GTX.

B777LR

Ohhhhhh, look, submarine with SA-2 :lol:  

cthulhu77

I am in the middle of moving, so time is stressful, but I had to post a note to say this is one of the coolest builds of all time !!!!!

Archibald

Yep, TSR Joe has a prolific imagination these days  :party:  
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

frank2056

TSR Joe - an amazing build! What did you use as a master for the vacuformed halves?

Rafael

Yeah, that!!!

That's an amazing build, the kind I like!!!

Great job!!!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

TsrJoe

hiya frank, for making the master for the saucer body shells i screwed a piece of 25mm mdf. onto the faceplate of the wood lathe and turned it down till i was happy with the shape, polishing it with progrssivly finer grades of sandpaper whilst stil on the lathe ...

the finished saucer half was then vacuformed using the small machine here at my workshop using 2mm thick styrene ...

to provide rigidity, i mixed up a slurry using urethane resin with lots of filler powder, this gave a rigid base on which to sand down the edges etc., whilst tinkering with a mounting bolt for the 2 halves the resin infill seperated from the styrene vacuform moulding... as the internal surface was smooth and looked ok, i decided to just use the resin infil parts for my model ...

the cockpit was vacuformed again from a shaped mdf. former (i decided to finish this one in 'display model' style so an opaque moulding sufficed)

using the resin saucer halves made life a little easier when it came to cutting out the intakes and exhaust, the intakes being marked onto the surface, then a jig made so as to drill them in at an oblique angle, starting with a smaller drill and finishing with one of suitable size. The exhaust slot was notched out by first outlining the required shape then deeper trimming with a heavy blade, the excess filler powder making the resin easy to carve, any nicks and blemishes were filed with model putty ...

the blades were cut from 3mm styrene sheet, sanded to airfoil section, then the whole thing was primed in pigmented filler primer before final polishing with 600 grit wet and dry ...

ill hopefully get aroud to painting it proper over the weekend ...

thanks to all for the kind words, cheers, joe