Flying Saucers and UFOs

Started by TsrJoe, August 02, 2007, 04:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank2056

Joe - Where do you work that you have such fun tools to play with?

You may want to build this one to keep it company:

Frank

TsrJoe

waw... love that USAF. saucer artwork...are there any other illustrations within the issue, worth building for sure  B)

iv youv a higher resolution scan id love to have a closer look at it to make a working drawing?

cheers, joe
... 'i reject your reality and substitute my own !'

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

GTX

If you do the USAF one, you could pose them together  - flying saucer war!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

nev

lol, love that artwork - wouldn't get away with it today, pinko commie b*stard being horrificly burnt to death in his plane.....
Between almost-true and completely-crazy, there is a rainbow of nice shades - Tophe

Sales of Airfix kits plummeted in the 1980s, and GCSEs had to be made easier as a result - James May

frank2056

Quotewaw..love that USAF. saucer artwork...are there any other illustrations within the issue, definately another worth building for sure  B)
Sorry Joe, I found that artwork through a link in a thread on Starship Modeler, and I don't remember where it came from.

You have a great job!

Frank

wolfik

hmhmm....I mean...the main error is...it can only fly when the area between the saucers is closed Joe...
the gap between is not fortunate for the drag...
I mean you need to cut the part with the props in the diameter of the saucer ...
you know what I mean?....
sorry when I spoilt the party.... :unsure:  

TsrJoe

hi there, oops many thanks for spotting that one (hangs head in shame, lol)... yip i definately agree re. the gap between the saucer halves, having looked at it sitting there, for a 'quick fix' ill redo the central rotor disc plate bringing its diameter out to meet the ouside edge thus hopefully filling the noticable gap?

cheers, joe  :dum:

hmm..i wonder if any British ones have appeared in comics over the years???  

IPMS.UK. 'Project Cancelled' Special Interest Group Co-co'ordinator (see also our Project Cancelled FB.group page)
IPMS.UK. 'TSR-2 SIG.' IPMS.UK. 'What-if SIG.' (TSR.2 Research Group, Finnoscandia & WW.2.5 FB. groups)

wolfik

frank2056

I tried to make a 3 view based on that cover shot and I had a really tough time getting anything that looked realistic/viable. The "wing fences" block the view to the sides from the cockpit and the engines look far too small (is it two or four? Either way they seem very small) There doesn't seem to be much surface area on the vertical tails for a rudder, either.

I'd love to see your design, Joe!

Nick

Quotehmm..i wonder if any British ones have appeared in comics over the years???
I'm certain there's a story about one in my Action Man annual, circa 1982. Can't find it on my shelves right now but it could be in the loft.

Also ask comic fans about Action comic in the 70's.
http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformation...eMemoryLane.asp
Action comic was many things - to many it was a 70's culture nadir, to me & my friends who bought it every week, it was an electifying escape. Like its sister Battle, it was a reaction to other comics on the market and many characters/stories were shameless rip offs - like Dredger's (sort barrelled) .44 Magnum, except he wasn't exactly a British "Dirty Harry". I remember the issue when Dredger shot down an RAF flying saucer with that gun.

Nick B)  

Mossie

Quotehmm..i wonder if any British ones have appeared in comics over the years???
Joe, there's one in a TV Century 21 Annual I have, from the Zero X strip 'Brink of Disaster'.  It's supposed to be from the planet 'Sinistrium' rather than earth, & it's kind of reminiscent of an original Romulan Warbird, a saucer with side pods.  I can scan it if your interested.

Simon.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

TsrJoe

oohh that 'Action' comic one sounds interesting ... anyone out there know of a copy?

following 'Frank 2056's brill find of a speculative USAF. saucer heres the initial stages of my attempt to model same to sit alongside my Soviet example ...

#1 working doodle to visualise the design in model form ...
#2 basic wooden 'bowl' former 'half dish' @19cm dia. ...
#4 vacuform halves from same assembled to form disc ...
#5 cutting out 'fins' and adding 'engine pod's from conduit pipe ...

more pics to follow ...

cheers, joe

I had thought of making my own circa 50's RAF saucer based roughly on the Avro Canada designs...ill do some more scribbling and post up for comment

:dum:

TsrJoe

hmm... decisions, decisions...lol must admit im not too happy with either at the moment... any thoughts out there from the forum? im looking for something circa 1950something but visually different from the Avro Canada concepts (altho having a 'family resemblance' wouldnt be a problem!)

http://groups.msn.com/TSR-2ResearchGroup/a...etc.msnw?Page=2

cheers, joe

frank2056

Joe,
I think the second drawing, with the two jets on the tail, looks good. Maybe with the raised tail from the magazine cover saucer?

The Avro VTO picture on your site is another option - again, with the high tail and engines. That picture reminded me of the lenticular vehicle drawings at Astronautix.

This is the best I could come up with:

Frank

HOG

Hi Joe,
Regards British saucer, I remember a pic in 2000AD of a dirigible built with a `Harrier` style cockpit, inflatable saucer centre section and tail wings etc.
I`m going throgh them soon to sell so will post pic if you like asap.
Regards Gary :dalek:  
H-O-G = Head Out of Gestalt-hands on autopilot
WORK! The curse of the drinking class.
"Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
(Ralph Waldo Emerson )