Cf-105 Arrow Ii

Started by Archibald, August 03, 2007, 06:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archibald

Backstory already "published" on the Alt-history section. Basically, the Arrow survive because its most expensive problem - weapon system shifts - is solved by off-the-shelf F-106 radar and AAMs.

A later variant (circa 1963) has AN/ASG-18 and AIM-47 Falcons. This mean that in the early 70's the Arrow is the only aircraft able to shot down feared MiG-25R. Israel and Iran can't miss this opportunity. But IRIAF , under Shah request ask for better overall view from the cockpit, hence a F-14 canopy...  :rolleyes:  

First shot of the thing...
King Arthur: Can we come up and have a look?
French Soldier: Of course not. You're English types.
King Arthur: What are you then?
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Rafael

.....and the Shah fled the country at Mach 2 aboard one of those wonderful Arrows!!!

Great concept Archi!!

I really like that aircraft, but the original canopy......
It had to be done.
Show us more!

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

Archibald

Quote.....and the Shah fled the country at Mach 2 aboard one of those wonderful Arrows!!!

Rafa
Good idea! The Shah was aparently an excellent pilot, having its own private
MS-760 Paris...

This model progress well now. I've grafter the YF-12 nose onto it, wich is 2 cm longer. That's few, but mean 1.50 m at 1/1 scale!  :blink:
CofG problems to come... On the other hand, the Arrow had FBW,  this should be enough to counterbalance nose weight.  
In fact the Arrow II would be like the Mirage 2000, Ie unstability controlled by FBW.
Iroquois 3 engines were fitted, giving 35 000 Ibs of thrust, but they were heavier (as the Olympus-593  grew in weight to cope with a heavier and heavier Concorde ;) ).

As the nose was much longer, crew vision would have been badly degraded.
Avro struggled with the problem until an young and imaginative ingenier proposed to drop (down) the whole cockpit of 7 cm. This, combined to the Tomcat-like canopy, gave an improved vision to the crew...

:party:
French Soldier: I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?

Well regardless I would rather take my chance out there on the ocean, that to stay here and die on this poo-hole island spending the rest of my life talking to a gosh darn VOLLEYBALL.

Archibald

B777LR

elmayerle

Looks gorgeous, Archie.  I would've simply angled the centerline of the radome down to get better over the nose visibility for the pilot, but your version has a gorgeous look to it.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

Yup, I think crew vision at take off and landing would be similar to a Mirage III, Ie not very good. But that's the price to pay if you want to kill those nifties MiG-25R.

I've changed the nosewheel leg (uttershite, as the rest of the kit! <_< ) for a more detailed one (don't know where it come from, but it look better).
Same thing for the wheels, which come from my SR-75 (mounted on a LEGO pylon)

I've also added a small bump below the nose, just because the model look better with it  :lol:  (this rule also applied  to the TSR-2  :rolleyes: )

(Image deleted to safe gaurd personal data due to poster forgetting what he left in the background !!! -
For you own safety do no pose model on or near packages posted to your self and even worse if sent from another board member !!! - REMEMBER this is to protect you own personal security - do not post or show personal details on an open forum - use a PM or email if you need to communicate such information with other members!!)
[/size]

Arse, feck, twigglets! (@Shasper) So here's some similar pics, this time without adresses in the background!  :dum:   :banghead:

ysi_maniac

Going good bttb
:wub:  :wub:  :wub:  
Will die without understanding this world.

elmayerle

Oh, for missiles, considering using AIM-54s since the production AIM-47B missiles would've looked quite similar to the AIM-54, save with folding fins to fit the volume restrictions of weapons bays.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

Archibald

QuoteOh, for missiles, considering using AIM-54s since the production AIM-47B missiles would've looked quite similar to the AIM-54, save with folding fins to fit the volume restrictions of weapons bays.
I've dug recesses on the belly, and made some tries with Italeri AIM-47.
Hmm I'll check Andrea Parsh website for some pics...  

SPINNERS

Looking good so far Archie. Chapeau!

Rafael

A Great poser. The lined really improved with the addition of the canopy.

Rafa
Understood only by fellow Whiffers....
1/72 Scale Maniac
UUUuuumm, I love cardboard (Cardboard, Yum!!!)
OK, I know I can't stop scratchbuilding. Someday, I will build something OOB....

YOU - ME- EVERYONE.
WE MAY THINK DIFFERENTLY
BUT WE CAN LIVE TOGETHER

B777LR

archie, may we see the photo that thorvic deleted? (not the exact same, just take another from the same angle ;) )

Archibald

Quotearchie, may we see the photo that thorvic deleted? (not the exact same, just take another from the same angle ;) )
Message edited  :rolleyes:  

Archibald

Here's an idea of the camo I plan for this thing