Bf-110t Idea

Started by GTX, August 03, 2007, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radish

I thought of the IJAAF Bf-110 after finding cgi images of a Japanese '110 at:

http://www.freewebs.com/gregboyington/ijaafki4546.htm

Well worth a look :party:  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

GTX

QuoteWell worth a look

Most definitely - nice find!

Regards,

Greg
All hail the God of Frustration!!!

GTX

QuoteQUOTE
the biggest problem will be with the air coolers under the wings...I planned to build one from an existing partially build kit but this problem stopped the project....
you need to replace the coolers to another area but they are not small...
not insubstantial part of the wing should be folded and without any conversion of the air intakes is the folding line not really plausible...
my idea was to to replace the air intakes in the wings leading edge but its not easy and very time consumpting...maybe in the next time

I will investigate further and see what I can come up with - maybe annular coolers like on the Fw-190D-9 and some Jumo powered Ju-88s?

Alternately, maybe move the coolers to the inner wing (and relocate fuel tankage accordingly), or to slightly further out on the wing (not preferred given the need for connections across the wing fold) or into the inner wing leading edge like the Mosquito/Sea Hornet as you suggested.

Regards,

Greg

elmayerle

I'd go with either the inboard leading edge or nacelles like the Fw-190D or TA-154 engine installation.  Both would work with the folding wing and both would also likely be lower drag installations than the standard Bf110 one.
"Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner and Lily Tomlin

GTX

Yeah, I know.  The engineer in me (the little that remains, having long since gone to the dark side) says the annular radiator/cooler design makes the most sense, however another part of me wants to keep the bird looking as much like the original Bf-110 as possible (if for no other reason to make people look twice.

At this stage, I may end up making two or more models of each variant.

Regards,

Greg

B777LR

Heres the Messerschmitt Bf-162. Supposedly a development of the -110...

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/bf162.html

Radish

Looks remarkably like a Pe-2 ;)  
Once you've visited the land of the Loonies, a return is never far away.....

Still His (or Her) Majesty, Queen Caroline of the Midlands, Resident Drag Queen

elmayerle

It more or less 'twas, just as the Bf 161 also was.  

elmayerle

QuoteYeah, I know.  The engineer in me (the little that remains, having long since gone to the dark side) says the annular radiator/cooler design makes the most sense, however another part of me wants to keep the bird looking as much like the original Bf-110 as possible (if for no other reason to make people look twice.
Okay, move the radiators and coolers under the center section to keep the plumbing as simple as possible.  The other option, leading edge radiators and coolers between the fuselage and nacelles would also work quite well and wouldn't be quite as obviously as the annular radiators.

GTX

Hi folks,

A little research generated this:

It was a Bf-110C-1 built by Focke-Wulf and tested with large chin radiators and with the oil coolers moved to the top of the engine cowlings.

The engines have now taken on a bit of a Fairey Barracuda look:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Quote from: GTX on August 06, 2007, 10:12:17 PM
QuoteMore powerful engines??

QuoteSubstitute the DB601's for radials?

I do have a plan to also do a BMW 801 radial powered Bf-110 - maybe they could be combined, though I do like the idea of a DB 601 powered carrier version.

Regards,

Greg

Speaking of Radials:

Regards,

Greg

GTX

Hi folks,

Been giving this a little more thought.  At first I was tempted to do a variant of the Bf-110C-1 mentioned above which was tested with large chin radiators and with the oil coolers moved to the top of the engine cowlings:

But the Radial engined variant is winning out at this stage - what do you think?

Maybe even with torpedo:

Regards,

Greg

pyro-manic

The radial is certainly prettier. How about modifying the nose to give better visibility on landing? Move the guns to a belly pack, and raise the cockpit slightly? Either slope the nose down a bit, or put radar in.
Some of my models can be found on my Flickr album >>>HERE<<<

sequoiaranger

I "Italianized" a Bf-110/410 to make a torpedo bomber:
My mind is like a compost heap: both "fertile" and "rotten"!

Mossie

I do like the radials, they sit well with the '110.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.